Cop pulls over driverless Tesla.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This is funny.
biggrin.gif
A couple of guys are testing the Self-Summon feature for a Tesla Model 3 in a parking lot, and, after a couple of tests, the driverless car runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a cop who just happens to be there. An interesting case.....the cop walks up to the empty car, looks in the windows, scratches his head, and doesn't know who (or if) to write a ticket to. Finally, he asks for a license and ID from the guys standing on the side, checks it out, and lets them go.

Besides some humor, it also brings up a number of potential legal questions and scenarios that police departments and lawyers are going to deal with on future self-driving vehicles and traffic-violations.....the guys go into that at the end of the video.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's pretty funny, but if running the stop sign had caused a collision it'd be a lot less so. I suspect the laws will change as soon as it becomes a real problem.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's pretty funny, but if running the stop sign had caused a collision it'd be a lot less so. I suspect the laws will change as soon as it becomes a real problem.

As it was, one of the other tests had the Tesla turning right out in front of an approaching Mercedes. I'm still not sold on self-driving vehicles.....especially with today's level of technlogy.