Collected: 2016 Lexus RX Reviews

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-12-10-lexus-rx-dan-neil-400x200.jpg

Dan Neil of The Wall Street Journal has driven the 2016 Lexus RX.
View the original article post

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Review from Motor Trend:

After several hours and few hundred miles with the RX, I came away thinking: Sure, the exterior design is gaudy and outlandish, but the interior is posh, the dynamics are commendable, and, at an estimated starting price of under $45,000, the value is tough to beat. Recipe for disaster? Considering the hot sales of the similarly styled NX, the RX is looking more and more like a recipe for success.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Review from Auto Week, which is *gasp* positive:

Dynamically, the RX goes something like a smoother, quieter Toyota Camry with slightly higher mass—or better, a Lexus ES 350 sedan. The marketing department might not like the concept, but in practical terms the RX 350 is an ES station wagon, and that’s not a bad thing. Even without F-Sport, it can be engaging in a pleasant if not necessarily thrilling fashion.

F-Sport is a bit livelier. There’s a little less body roll without a stiff ride, though the ultimate boundaries of grip or speed do not increase substantially. The F-sport still understeers as it approaches the limit of tire adhesion. There doesn’t seem to be any difference in the quantity of torque the F-Sport shifts to its rear wheels, or the rate at which the shift occurs. There’s no torque vectoring in its differentials.

Is F-Sport worth the price? Depends on whether the ’15 premium of about $8,000 holds for 2016. Purely for the performance gain—and not accounting for appearance adjustments, sport seats or paddle shifts that are part of the package—it might not be.

Block out whatever visual excitement the styling creates, and the ’16 RX is basically what it’s always been: exciting mostly for its steady, annoyance-free behavior, or for the possibilities its multi-role capability suggests.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Uneven review from Automobile Magazine:

No version of the 2016 Lexus RX can be called exciting, but Lexus has made some progress with the latest iteration of its best-selling vehicle. The RX F Sport now has the improved dynamics to back up its edgy styling and makes a convincing case for itself among its sportier competition. The evolutions of the standard and hybrid versions are less noticeable, but that’s the name of the game when you’re dependent on repeat buyers who are averse to change. If you can get past the sight of that crazy new front end, the fourth-generation Lexus RX upholds its sterling reputation while bringing even more to the table.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Forbes mild review

It’s actually quite fitting for the RX to rival the 3 Series in annual sales, as I would argue the RX plays as big a role in defining Lexus as the 3 Series plays in defining BMW. It’s also widely acknowledged the RX started the luxury SUV/crossover trend, just as the 3 Series started the sport sedan trend. This trend now sees every premium automaker offering multiple utility vehicles, with many of those utes selling in greater volume than their sedan counterparts. Did this put additional pressure on Lexus when it redesigned the RX 350 and RX 450h for 2016? Undoubtedly, which is why the automaker trusted that role to Takayuki Katsuda, the chief engineer with experience in this area (he oversaw the last RX redesign). We spoke with Katsuda and he assured us the new RX balances its longstanding role as a refined luxury crossover with Akio Toyoda’s recent desire to infuse greater passion in all Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

mikeavelli

Reactions
CNET's review

The 2016 Lexus RX 350 looks pretty stunning, a huge leap from the previous generation, but it takes fewer chances under the skin, making evolutionary improvements in power, efficiency and convenience. I am a fan of its luxury character and easy drivability, and appreciate Lexus' adoption of driver-assist features. Those keep it in the running versus the luxury competition. I find the attempt at high-performance less convincing, however.

mikeavelli

Reactions

They must be blind

The Lexus has a few new design touches, including the floating roof effect on the D-pillar and more side surfacing, but the overall shape isn’t all that different from its predecessor. From afar, we had trouble telling the 2016 RX models apart from the numerous previous-generation RXs we saw along our route.

lol wut!?!??!

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Driving (Canada) review

Clearly, the new RX has big shoes to fill. Lexus says the 2016 model has been designed and engineered to “surprise beyond expectations.” While some of its goals, namely the so-called “seductive” styling and dynamic performance, are open to interpretation and debate, this latest RX does excel in providing a relaxing and luxurious driving experience, something that has been the hallmark of the three preceding generations. Those loyal to the brand will not be disappointed. Those looking for a high-end crossover should be intrigued.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Autoblog likes it

That last part is an important distinction. Lexus doesn't want the RX to sell merely as the most rational choice on market. Sure, the F Sport's aggressive looks and sportier driving will stir the emotions of some crowds, but even the classic Lexus customer will find character in the new RX. The challenge for Lexus is to satisfy these seemingly disparate buyers and continue dominating this corner of the market. As difficult as that may be, the 2016 RX might just be able to make that happen.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Agreed, it's a very different looking and much more aggressive looking RX than past gens. (Speaking of Rx, they might need to get new or revised Rx for corrective lens at optometrist.)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's an (IMO) well-done Canadian review. He describes the new design and performance from stem to stern, including a fair amount of time on the F-Sport option.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Nicely done review by the Canadian, he understands the subtleties that make the better lux vehicles "rewarding" to drive.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nicely done review by the Canadian, he understands the subtleties that make the better lux vehicles "rewarding" to drive.

Somewhat off-topic, but might be important: I hope you or your home/family/property/cars weren't affected by those awful wildfires the last couple of days in your part of California. The media reports we got back East here show a deplorable situation there, though it may be easing.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
image.jpg
Somewhat off-topic, but might be important: I hope you or your home/family/property/cars weren't affected by those awful wildfires the last couple of days in your part of California. The media reports we got back East here show a deplorable situation there, though it may be easing.

Thanks for asking, but those fires are about 2.5 hours away. Although early Sunday morning I did notice some light ashes blown in from fires. Fortunately cooler wetter weather over entire area has helped some.

On the way driving to Lake Tahoe last year I did get close to huge (100K-ish acres) Pollock Pines forest fire, fortunately people and most structures were unharmed (I'll try to attach some pics)

On a car-related note, on the news today they mentioned those driving through smokey areas should put car's climate-control in recirculation mode...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
On a car-related note, on the news today they mentioned those driving through smokey areas should put car's climate-control in recirculation mode...

It's also a good idea if you are stuck in traffic, to keep out exhaust fumes or other bad smells from vehicles in front of you.

Back to the new RX, have you had a chance to see it or drive it yourself, or has it not been released yet in CA? We're still waiting in this area.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Back to the new RX, have you had a chance to see it or drive it yourself, or has it not been released yet in CA? We're still waiting in this area.

I haven't checked with my 2 favorite dealers on RX availability yet.