Center Console Trim

Reactions
Noticed the center console trim on the MY 15 IS has been textured versus the console trim on the MY 14. Wondering if the trim pieces on the 14 are a straight swap with the 15. The center console surfaces on the 14 show EVERY spec of dust and are so easily smudged and scratched, I would love to have the MY 15 center console pieces. See parts diagram, looking at numbers 4, 14 and 19.

Attachments

• PartsDiag CenterConsole.jpg
    PartsDiag CenterConsole.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 21

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
I hear you. Before Sewell Lexus took down their online site, I looked up the same parts diagram but after seeing the prices, I gave up. Now, I use GTechniq C5 Matte Dash as it claims it has abrasion resistance, topped with some plastic protectant such as Jeff Werkstatt Satin Prot or CarPro PERL.

Alternatively, cover the areas with some vinyl.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I hear you. Before Sewell Lexus took down their online site, I looked up the same parts diagram but after seeing the prices, I gave up. Now, I use GTechniq C5 Matte Dash as it claims it has abrasion resistance, topped with some plastic protectant such as Jeff Werkstatt Satin Prot or CarPro PERL.

Alternatively, cover the areas with some vinyl.

Nice to know about these products. Didn't know. I've been lucky and not a single scratch. I don't touch the console other than the buttons/knobs and I keep a Swiffer Duster in my door pocket. At a red light, I get some house cleaning done. :D

Reactions
Nice to know about these products. Didn't know. I've been lucky and not a single scratch. I don't touch the console other than the buttons/knobs and I keep a Swiffer Duster in my door pocket. At a red light, I get some house cleaning done. :D

same here! haha

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I keep one of those little detailer brush (very soft) in my console, spiffy too.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Better not be that anal about scratches like me. Some swirls and scratches on the panel do not show up in normal lighting. They are visible to me only when I detail the surface -- that's when you pick up the imperfection. But better not be too serious as it drives you nuts!.

Just like you, I don't touch the console. The buttons on the climate control have some extra painting coat which should take up the abuse better than the panel. The sliders for the temperature are fine as long as you tap it or with sliding it with soft fingers.

In fact, the climate control panel has more durable finish than the lower panel where the traction button is. Still, I try to control the climate by the on-screen menu if possible.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
I keep one of those little detailer brush (very soft) in my console, spiffy too.
Actually the material for the centre console used in 2014 3IS is more delicate than the 2IS (except if 2IS has wood trim which I had before). Lexus realized the problem and they improve it in 2015 3IS which has comparable durability as 2IS. So this complaint is only valid for one year.