Camouflaged Lexus RC F SPORT Reveals Upcoming Update

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Sleeker headlights and new wheels give the RC F a similar look to its LC sibling.

The Lexus RC F has lived on unmodified since its introduction in 2014. It's still the most powerful iteration of the RC coupe, and arguably still the best looking of the group. But it appears Lexus is giving its M4-rival an update; new spy photos show the coupe on public roads wearing a bit of camouflage.

From the photos you can tell most of the is unchanged, suggesting that this will be a minor makeover, not a full-on update. The headlights, though almost completely covered up, appear to have a sleeker shape reminiscent of the LC coupe. The LED swoosh appears to get the boot, too.

The massive spindle grille soldiers on, with only an updated lower portion that gives it a slightly sharper look. The wheels are brand new (also similar to the LC), and the taillights look to get a new treatment alongside some updating to the sheet metal.

In terms of power, don't expect any major changes. The same 5.0-liter V8 should carry over. Currently, it produces 467 horsepower, but for 2019 that number could improve. Don't expect anything like a more-powerful turbocharged engine, though; Lexus offers a turbocharged 2.0-liter on the RC exclusively, but it only produces 241 bhp (179 kW) and 258 lb-ft (349 Nm) of torque.

The new 2019 model should show up in just a few months. Rumors suggest we could see it in the sheet metal at the Paris Motor Show in September. We'll have to wait a bit longer for the rest of the range to get an update. Lexus just released a special edition Black Edition package at the Geneva Motor Show.

https://www.motor1.com/news/258330/2019-lexus-rcf-spy-photos/

2019-lexus-rc-f-spy-photos.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Jeff Pérez of motor1.com clearly doesn't know his Lexus RCs. The lack of the curved-top diagonal side air vent between the front wheel and the door's leading edge and the rectangular (as opposed to stacked oval) rear exhaust outlets obviously show this is an RC F Sport, and not a full-on RC F.

I just retitled the thread to reflect this and avoid confusion.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
These headlights look weird. Do they have body colored inserts like GS-F?
Who knows? Lexus' most recent models have been moving the Nikeesque DRL swoosh closer to the headlights (or even above them within the housing, as on the UX). Given the camo, it's clear that the front and rear fascias will change for 2019.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Three LED's vertically stacked on the outside of the headlight... a little different from LC. Excited to see this update!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Surprised it took over 1 year after "likely" design freeze in spring 2017 to catch a prototype (yet we saw mules last August), but then again, older Lexus facelifts of the 1990s and 2000s were never spotted testing like this.

When does this debut and go on sale is my question? MY 2015 was the start in November 2014, so why is MY 2020 the mid-point? Does this mean an TNGA IS coupe is a possibility, if the GS isn't redesigned in 2 years. Or does the next RC move slightly more upscale and becomes both a TNGA 2-door and gran coupe for MY 2023 in spring 2022 (after MY 2021 IS in Q3 2020) ?

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Surprised it took over 1 year after "likely" design freeze in spring 2017 to catch a prototype (yet we saw mules last August), but then again, older Lexus facelifts of the 1990s and 2000s were never spotted testing like this.

When does this debut and go on sale is my question? MY 2015 was the start in November 2014, so why is MY 2020 the mid-point? Does this mean an TNGA IS coupe is a possibility, if the GS isn't redesigned in 2 years. Or does the next RC move slightly more upscale and becomes both a TNGA 2-door and gran coupe for MY 2023 in spring 2022 (after MY 2021 IS in Q3 2020) ?

It's not because it's summer time that you suddenly have to think wildly. It's still Lexus, you know. ;)

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
When does this debut and go on sale is my question? MY 2015 was the start in November 2014, so why is MY 2020 the mid-point?

My guess would be the 2018 LA show, dealerships in the spring. Surely Lexus won't bring out a coupe in the fall/winter.

Airplane

Fan
Reactions

Wouldn't it make more sense for the redesigned GS gran coupe than the RC being both 2 doors and 4 doors? Knowing Lexus they really like to distinguish their models and the names as well.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Wouldn't it make more sense for the redesigned GS gran coupe than the RC being both 2 doors and 4 doors? Knowing Lexus they really like to distinguish their models and the names as well.

If the GS is not going to exist anymore and they are retaining the RC, as well upsizing the IS, it makes more sense to do that. Now if an IS parallel (not adjacent like RC) coupe replaces it, the RC would be absorbed into the IS/IC family.

The addition of AWD to the ES, gives me the idea they decided