Cadillac Slashes 2016 ELR Price by $9k, Adds More Power

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2016-cadillac-elr-003-1.jpg

Cadillac has announced a series of updates to the ELR for 2016 that promises to make the plug-in hybrid luxury coupe a more desirable proposition. Perhaps chief among them is a price drop of $9,005 compared to the slow-selling 2014 model. The news follows an announcement yesterday that the Chevy Spark would get a $1,500 price drop.

Cadillac is quoting a net price for the updated ELR at $58,495, which is obviously substantially less than the $75k it was asking for the previous version. But it's important to note that the new price is listed after US federal tax credits. The 2014 model came in at $67,500 after the full $7,500 tax credit, so math tells us that Cadillac has slashed the price on the 2016 ELR rather dramatically by about nine grand with a new MSRP of $65,995.

One big upgrade on the performance front is a 25-percent boost in output from the hybrid powertrain that marries a pair of electric motors to a 1.4-liter inline-four gasoline-burning generator. The increase is said to be enough to drop 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 time, now quoted at 6.4 seconds. It'll travel for up to 39 miles on electric mode alone, but with the generator spooled up will go up to 330 miles before needing to stop.

The engine management software has also been updated and the regenerative braking system reconfigured as well, butGM's luxury division didn't stop at the powertrain, fitting the 2016 ELR with a raft of other enhancements. Visually there's a new grille with the marque's latest emblem embedded. The suspension has been stiffened, the steering recalibrated and the brakes optimized for better feel. Cadillac is also throwing in the previously optional Driver Assistance package of active safety systems as standard, with adaptive cruise control available as an option. And the infotainment system comes withOnStar, 4G LTE connectivity and on-board Wi-Fi.

There's even a Performance Package available with 20-inch performance tires offering 10-percent better lateral grip, four-piston Brembo brake calipers up front to help reducing stopping distances by 12 percent, recalibrated dampers and steering and a thicker-rimmed steering wheel. Because of the higher rolling resistance tires, however, the Performance Package kills four miles off of the electric driving range.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/15/cadillac-2016-elr-update-more-power-9000-price-drop/#image-4

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Though not everyone may agree with me, my view is that Cadillac should have taken the money and resources they put into the ELR and used them, instead, to develop a nice compact crossover SUV to compete with the Lexus NX, Audi Q3, and Lincoln MKC. They are working on one NOW, but with an obvious delay, and it won't be ready for the better part of another two years.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Chevy had to do the same thing to the Volt a couple of years ago (slash several thousand off the price) because they had priced it too high to start with, and Toyota and Ford Extended-Range-Hybrid competitors were significantly undercutting them. The ELR, of course, was done off the Volt's platform.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It doesn't really matter IMHO, the price seems still too high. I don't think it will do Cadillac much good.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Though not everyone may agree with me, my view is that Cadillac should have taken the money and resources they put into the ELR and used them, instead, to develop a nice compact crossover SUV to compete with the Lexus NX, Audi Q3, and Lincoln MKC. They are working on one NOW, but with an obvious delay, and it won't be ready for the better part of another two years.

I would most certainly agree with that!

mikeavelli

Reactions

I would invest the money in reducing a huge dealer network and making the best products around for less money. Though I certainly agree they are missing a CUV.

Reactions: CIF