Bye Bye Beetle...?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
188040_2015_Volkswagen_Beetle.jpg

The Volkswagen Beetle is one of the most iconic vehicles in history. Its silhouette is instantly recognizable, and you see them nearly everywhere on the planet.

Its direct successor, the New Beetle, was launched in 1998, and received a very warm reception, taking advantage of the retro trends of the early 2000s.

The third generation, which was launched in 2011, hasn’t had the same success. While it shares a few mechanical components with the popular Jetta, sales have not been as high as expected. It’s a shame though, because I think the car’s look is staggeringly better than the New Beetle’s.

Volkswagen is currently eliminating some of their slow-selling models; we learned that the Eos would be axed, and that the 3-door Polo (a European sub-compact not sold here) would follow suit, leaving only the 5-door model to soldier on. By removing this Polo from its lineup, VW could save up to 200 million euros. Since coupes and 3-door hatchbacks are becoming less and less popular, there is a chance that the Beetle could be the next one to have its head put on the chopping block.

Nothing has been confirmed yet, but if you have been thinking about buying a VW Beetle, don’t delay; the car might not be around next year.

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/28545/the_vw_beetle_might_be_on_its_way_out/

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I don't know why VW took a car that thousands of women aspire to own and butched it up all aggressive -- the redesign wrecked the car, I wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled.

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
To be honest I'm far more likely to sprout wings and fly like an eagle than buy a VW,but I do as a matter of principal like to see as much diversity as possible in the world of cars,and especially in the form of cars that are made to appeal to the heart more than the mind,so in that sense I do hope VW doesn't give up on the new Beetle.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Every time I get asked to help someone with a Beetle the sticker shock sets in....over 30k for a loaded one...

To me ditch the Polo and make the Beetle a back to basics entry level car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It’s a shame though, because I think the car’s look is staggeringly better than the New Beetle’s.

Despite the FWD Golf/Jetta platform, definitely more retro than the last New Beetle in 1998. This one has the classic Old air-cooled Beetle dash (with body-color inserts), a 70s-style wheel option, fenders more reminiscent of the original, and, of course, a lack of gimmicks like the stem flower-holder.