Buick Avenir, Lincoln Continental Concept at Pebble Beach

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Since we've already got a couple of active threads going on the new Lexus models on display at Pebble Beach this year, I didn't want to stick this in them, as it might be off-topic. So here's a new thread on some of the other displays there.....including the Buick Avenir and Lincoln Continental Concept.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/16/pebble-beach-concept-car-lawn-monterey-2015/#slide-3584499

34-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

35-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

36-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

28-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

29-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

30-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

31-pebble-beach-concpet-car-lawn-2015-1.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Cool article, with 7 of those 14 being concept cars. Notice the 70 degree sunny weather too, not always the case in August.

Both of those 2 concepts look better than anything produced by Buick and Lincoln today, I hope this translates effectively into production models.

RAL

Reactions
Good examples of how we are starting to see more chrome ... the pendulum seems to be starting to swing back somewhat

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
It would be nice to see the semi-hidden door handles of Continental make it into production, although from purely safety standpoint the Mercedes-style door handles on most premium cars make more sense.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Good examples of how we are starting to see more chrome ... the pendulum seems to be starting to swing back somewhat

As far as I'm concerned, except maybe for some extreme sport-oriented vehicles, it never should have swung away in the first place....though, for several reasons, I was not a fan of vinyl tops. ;)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Avenir is a lot more impressive to me than the Continental, personally.

Continental looks like it would have been a good concept car in 2010 and has many of the elements that make boring cars look interesting: LED headlights, large and dramatic wheels, tons of chrome and a cheese grater grill. Take those away, and what you're left with is a body that's quite bland and slab sided.

Avenir is legitimately good to look at, and seems futuristic but elegant. Nice detailing and overall proportions.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
There isn't a Hyundai "H" badge in sight ... on this new G Coupe

If you remember, there wasn't a Hyundai emblem on the first version of the Genesis, either.......just a winged badge.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The Hyundai concept does nothing for me.

Actually, I'm not quite sure why Hyundai is displaying it, except maybe to gauge the market for a large two-door coupe....larger then the existing Genesis coupe. The existing 2Gen Genesis sedan (if you have driven one) IMO is one darn impressive sedan, particularly with the 5.0L V8. It's one of the best combinations of power, refinement, handling, and ride that I've seen in some time.