BMW X3 M and X4 M Debut with the Brand New S58 Engine

Reactions
The BMW X3 M and X4 M Debuts with the Brand New S58 Engine

upload_2019-2-12_15-22-17-png.12463

You may remember that ten years ago BMW put a thorn in the side of enthusiasts by slapping an M badge on the X5. Not only was it BMW M’s first SUV, it was the first time it had played with four-wheel-drive. Welcome then, to the new BMW M cars joining the ‘Sports Activity Vehicle’ club: the X3 M and X4 M, along with both cars’ Competition variants. Wound, meet salt.

Though, considering one in every three cars that leaves a BMW showroom these days is an X, it’s actually quite surprising the X3 and its coupe cousin (the X4) haven’t had an M makeover sooner. But they’re very much here now.

Let’s start with the engine. It’s the most powerful straight-six that’s ever been put in a Bee-Em. It’s also been twin-turbocharged to give the 3.0-litre six-pot 480bhp and 442 lb ft in the standard cars. The Competition cars get an extra 30bhp, taking them to 510bhp. Fed through an eight-speed ‘box, where, like other M cars the aggressiveness of the gearchange can go from 1 (smooth) to 3 (whip-crack-what-was-that?), both the X3 and X4 M can accelerate from 0-62 mph in 4.2 seconds while the Comp cars shave off a further tenth (4.1s). Unsurprisingly, they all wear velocity belts that limit them to 155 mph. The optional M Driver’s Package raises that to 174mph in standard cars, and 177mph in Competition models.

Power is sent to all four wheels via the same 4WD system that debuted in the M5. It favours the rear wheels and only sends power to the front when they really need them, but, unlike the M5, you can’t go into the system and disable the front driveshafts to make it solely rear-wheel-drive. Boo.

BMW says it’s gone to great efforts to strengthen the body and chassis mountings so the Super SAV (that’s Sports Activity Vehicle, remember) doesn’t fall over like a stack of cards at the first hint of a corner. There’s also an M-specific bracing package at the front end, including a strut brace in the engine compartment that links the spring strut towers – just like we first saw in the M4. From August, you’ll be able to get this strut brace finished in carbon fibre-reinforced plastic.

Visually, it’s what you’d expect from a BMW fed through M: a bit beefier. There are bigger air vents, sharper, more aggressive lines, accentuated front and rear spoilers, a quartet of exhausts, plus a smattering of M badges. Inside, the new sports seats are trimmed in posher Vernasca leather with red inserts and the cabin’s M-specific with contrast stitching and buttons. If you’ve seen the latest M5, nothing will surprise you.

In the UK, there’s just the option of the Competition cars, the X3 M Comp starting at £77,070, and the X4 M Comp starting at £79,990.

If you’re of the opinion that BMW’s sacred ‘M’ badge should be applied sparingly and only to the most sporting, honed ultimate driving machines, the fact there’s now an X3 M and X4 M, as well as Competition models could be a portion of triple-cooked bad news. Does this onslaught of new M cars offend you? Let us know below.

Road and Track Article:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...Z71vlu3-HFGXHXQxPNjrDpWmnExYoDo9U-IRKT1eRjC7o
BMW M has been making hotted up versions of the X5 and X6 for some time now, and now, it's turned its attention to the smaller X3 and X4 siblings. To fight the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio and the Mercedes-AMG GLC 63, they sport the most powerful straight-six BMW's ever put into a road car. Should be pretty quick then.

We'll focus on the engine, because that's what's really important here (and because it'll probably find its way into the next M3/M4). It's called the S58, and it's based on BMW's new(ish) B58 3.0-liter straight-six. With a pair of turbochargers and some extra love from the M division, this engine now produces 473 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. And that's just where things start. Opt for the Competition version of the X3 and X4 M and you get 503 horsepower. It's probably not a coincidence that this figure matches that of the Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S.

This engine is paired with an eight-speed automatic; not a dual-clutch like the one used for the current M2, M3 and M4. With the new M5, BMW M embraced torque-converter automatics, and it's doing the same with the X3 and X4 M.

Also like the M5, these crossovers get a BMW M-specific four-wheel drive system, which in normal operation, only sends power to the rear wheels. Power is diverted to the front when the rears start to slip, while a 4WD Sport mode increases the rear-axle bias. There's no 2WD mode like the M5, but BMW still says it's possible to drift the X3 and X4 M thanks to an electronically controlled locking rear differential.

BMW took a number of measures to increase body and chassis rigidity, which include fitting an under-hood strut-tower brace and additional bracing at the rear axle. All the suspension components were specifically designed for the X3 and X4 M, and adaptive dampers come standard. Additionally, Competition models get thicker sway bars.

The brakes are upgraded, too, with 15.6-inch discs clamped down by four-piston calipers up front, and 14.6-inch discs and single-piston floating calipers at the rear. Twenty-inch wheels are standard for the base X3 and X4 M, while the Competition models get 21s.

And of course, there are all the M design flourishes you'd expect, both inside and out.

Pricing hasn't been announced yet for the X3 and X4 M, but BMW says production will start in April.

Well, this just got interesting. The fact that they've turned everything up to 11 should make other OEM's freaking out. Do remember that this is based on the B58, which is a closed deck engine.

Reactions
I am really digging the X3 M. It is literally a baby X5 M and I have a sweet spot for six-cylinder engines. I want that one so bad. It's handsome and its stupidly powerful. I just would have to decide:

1. X3 M
2. GLC 63 AMG 4Matic+
3. Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
4. A hypothetical Lexus NX F (with a twin-turbo V8)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really like the GLC and don't mind the new X3, especially in the higher trims. This X3 M looks great and the performance credentials look awesome.

If it was my money, the X3 40i is plenty fast, especially with the sport accessories. Glad to see BMW doing this regardless!

Side note: As someone who has actually done a fair amount of trail riding and off roading, it's always funny to see the marketing spots for these performance CUVs where they are seemingly going 65mph through off road terrain. In the real world, that's simply impossible - especially with 20" wheels and performance rubber.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Great job BMW. Great additions.

I\

Side note: As someone who has actually done a fair amount of trail riding and off roading, it's always funny to see the marketing spots for these performance CUVs where they are seemingly going 65mph through off road terrain. In the real world, that's simply impossible - especially with 20" wheels and performance rubber.

Same thing. I'm looking at a photo they sped up of the X3 M in the dirt like "this is complete b.s". Just be real take the photo shoot at the mall lol

I mean for crying out loud they have completely wrong tires on for this off road shoot lol.

Reactions
The biggest question of all is if toyota will have licensing rights to use the S58 in the new supra.

That would make it SUPRA interesting.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The biggest question of all is if toyota will have licensing rights to use the S58 in the new supra.

That would make it SUPRA interesting.

Since this is a new flagship motor for BMW... I highly doubt they will let Toyota anywhere near it. Hell, they wouldn't even give Toyota the most recent tune of the B58.

Reactions
You guys, you guys... there is no "tune". They simply gave the Supra the European spec B58. You know?? The one with the filter that swallows a butt load of horsepower? Remove that filter and you're fine. You have 382 horsepower out of the gate.

Reactions
upload_2019-2-13_17-2-9.png

Toyota getting rear ended even though they had their Toyota safety sense (TSS) on.

Just..... wow
Disbelief.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I keep hearing a lot of rumblings in my Supra camp but no one will say specifics lol... but something is coming..