BMW and Others Enter the Subscription Plan Fray

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Software didnt invent the subscription model.

While that maybe true, each of the pressers for these subscription models alludes to the success of the software subscription...

You pay for Netflix every month, why not have a car the same way!

t's 2020. We have drones and hoverboards, our phones unlock by scanning our faces, and anything in the world can be delivered to your door with a couple of clicks. Why should we be stuck with buying or leasing as our only means of procuring a car to drive? Hell, nah.
Thankfully, vehicle subscription services are becoming more and more popular. Think of it like any other subscription: Sign up for what you want, cancel it when you're done. Whether from automakers or third-party companies, there are many ways to subscribe to your next new car.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I realize that, I've started SaaS products and business before.

I'm just saying subscription models have always been attractive. Subscription models started with tangible goods and services, software came along later.

A lease is basically a vehicle subscription under different terms and structuring.

/being pedantic

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
None of these subscriptions are advantageous to customers the way that Netflix is, where you get unlimited viewings of whatever for the price of a couple of rentals. Rentals is key; these car subscriptions are priced more like a couple of purchases/leases a month, which in Netflix terms would be $39.95 a month. It's not surprising they're failing.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
subscriptions were the stupidest thing ever... it even looked that it will fail from start... pricing was simply too crazy.

If we are talking Netflix model, it would be luxury car rental at $200/mo, not $2000/mo.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
subscriptions were the stupidest thing ever... it even looked that it will fail from start... pricing was simply too crazy.

If we are talking Netflix model, it would be luxury car rental at $200/mo, not $2000/mo.

Subscriptions are more attractive when you're sending 1s and 0s, and not delivering giant complex machines.

Reactions
Looks like the industry has decided that the subscriptions don't work

Reactions
Looks like the industry has decided that the subscriptions don't work

I remember when everyone was predicting the doom and gloom of a normal buying experience. Meanwhile I chuckled at the sight of this. Thank f*ck it's gone.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
One of the things against this sort of program is that there's a certain value in having a car set up the way you want it. This is especially true for modern cars where that entails a lot more than just adjusting the seats and mirrors.