Bargains to be found on pre-owned Lexus LCs

Reactions
Used LC 500s can now be found starting around $60,000. These cars still have relatively low mileage (less than 30,000 miles) but are sold without a warranty. Certified pre-owned examples aren't much more expensive, with prices starting around $67,000. Lexus' CPO program includes limited bumper-to-bumper coverage for up to six years and an unlimited mileage period starting from the vehicle's original purchase date. It also includes four factory-recommended services for two years or 20,000 miles, a 161-point inspection, 24/7 roadside assistance, and loaner cars.
Good time to get a deal?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Many want a Lexus. Just don't dare because the German badge is a safe value. I can understand that. Imagine having an Infiniti, G35, G37, Q60, FX50 and then the brand has died!

That said, in the US, you are lucky to get good deals on Lexus. In Europe used Toyota's/Lexus' are the most expensive cars, Ferrari expensive, yet everyone seems to hate them. I just don't get it.

Reactions
Many want a Lexus. Just don't dare because the German badge is a safe value. I can understand that. Imagine having an Infiniti, G35, G37, Q60, FX50 and then the brand has died!

That said, in the US, you are lucky to get good deals on Lexus. In Europe used Toyota's/Lexus' are the most expensive cars, Ferrari expensive, yet everyone seems to hate them. I just don't get it.
Curious, is Lexus cheaper than the European brands? I'm sure they were cheaper since that's how Lexus became popular here by undercutting their prices. Also, brand cachet is even stronger there than it is here in North America. I think Lexus finally got their product right for the EU just in the past 5-6 years with hybrids, but before that, well, it wasn't the success it ts in the US.

But what other non-European luxury brand has done any better than Lexus? Cadillac and Infiniti aren't there anymore. Genesis is still looking at the market carefully since they've not yet launched there. Foreign brands in Europe are tougher sells.

Will1991

Reactions
@Tragic Bronson , at least here in Portugal, BMW/Audi/Mercedes have the "great German engineering", even when you're talking about the 2 Active Tourer the ultimate driving machine, or Being Ahead through Technology with the A1 1.0L... And we hear this fo so many years, some of us believe it... Even when you've DieselGate or N47 engine problems...

It's more cultural than anything else if you ask me... Because comparing equal specifications, Lexus is usually cheaper.

@mikeavelli , keep us posted, at 50k I might pick up bags and move over to the USA ahahah

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
@Will1991 The 'great german-engineering' myth is equalliy as staunch in the UK. Not an episode of Wheeler Dealers goes by if it features a German-car without Mike Brewer spouting how bullet-proof, solid, made from a solid block of iron and reliable German cars are.

I must say, it's almost as though the German motoring brands have paid the media off across Europe. There was a BBC documentary about 5-6 years ago now called Das Auto: The Germans, Their Cars and Us. In it, it essentially reinforced the notion that German marketing and hype machine in Europe is absolutely a textbook lesson in how to run a business.

I find it extremely irritating because I know that German cars are superficial. I absolutely adore the look of Mercedes at the moment, the new BMWs look great (besides that hideous new 4-series) - and yes I am very much alone on that opinion it seems. And the Audis, although it pains me to say it because so many horrible people drive/bully you with them here, look fantastic in some models.

The problem is Lexus look great too, but when they go in head-to-heads with the Germans, their toys and tech just don't match up. All the little gimmicky things that are admittedly cool just aren't there. Seriously, go look at Mercedes ambient lighting for night-time driving...the thing looks like Tron - which people will say is pointless and they don't like, but it has the wow-factor undeniably.

In Europe, Lexus sales are increasing, but overall it's still pointing the gun on themselves mentality. The premium-hatchback sector here is insane. Seriously, if you have time, go pull figures for Audi A1 & A3, BMW 1 and Mercedes A-Class. You can't go a 5 minute drive here without passing at least one of each. Yet, as @Tragic Bronson linked to, the CT has been out since prehistoric times and looks pathetically dated vs its rivals, especially inside.

Back on topic, and the story of the LC becoming a used-buy. That is the purpose I am on this forum. I'm a teacher ( well-paid job here in the UK, which baffles me vs the USA where teachers are viewed as terribly paid) and right now I drive a 12 year old Civic hybrid. All my peers have these newer cars that they lease and probably think I'm making terrible financial choices, but I'm actually saving a huge portion of my monthly salary so that I can buy a used LC cash in a few years time. I can't wait for purr into the car park in it!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That is the way of doing it, go all rational (balancing economy-comfort-safety-utility) or full emotional (pleasure, desire).

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
@Will1991 Do you know that the cheapest V8 LC (I don't keep a nightly saved search for the Hybrid as it's the V8 I want) for sale in the UK so far was £45,000. It had less than 10,000 miles on it!

Will1991

Reactions
UK used car market is quite good, they're so cheap...

The cheapest LC500h is just under 90.000€ and the cheapest LC500 is still over 95.000€

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The cheapest LC500 on Autoscout24 EU is 78K € with 25k km, of year 2018. The cheapest RC F are about 50K € with about 50K km, of years 2015.

Will1991

Reactions
The cheapest LC500 on Autoscout24 EU is 78K € with 25k km, of year 2018. The cheapest RC F are about 50K € with about 50K km, of years 2015.

But our car taxation is a bit... High... It would cost 32.000€ to fully register a used 2018 LC500 in Portugal, from a EU country...

It's so bad even EU has been against Portuguese authorities ahahah

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

@Berto3818 mentioned something about big discounts for LC, so I actually checked mobile.de/autoscout for some crazy deals, but none were to be head.

Reactions
might be wise to note that production numbers on this baby are way off expectations and scarcity is inevitable

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
might be wise to note that production numbers on this baby are way off expectations and scarcity is inevitable

This sometimes works in favour of keeping prices lower too. I found this while selling a couple of used cars that were very low sellers in the UK - because less people are aware of them in the first place then less people are looking for them.

Just a note, still no record set for cheapest V8 LC in the UK. I will bump the thread when it happens as I have a spreadsheet of my savings towards buying an LC charted against the cheapest priced V8 LC to date 😅