Audi to Debut Flagship Q8 SUV in Detroit

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Audi-Q8-Concept-Teaser-Side.jpg

Audi-Q8-Concept-Teaser-Front.jpg

Audi in the next few years will introduce a coupe-like SUV called the Q8. In Detroit, we’ll get a preview of the vehicle with a concept of the same name. The Q8 concept—and production version it will spawn—will be Audi’s first SUV penned by current design boss Marc Lichte, shown here. He is expected to make his mark by introducing a distinct look that will set the vehicle apart from the rest of the Audi fold, which has been criticized for looking too similar. Already from some teasers we can see that the Q8 concept adopts a very aggressive look.

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/news/audi-q8-concept-headed-detroit-auto-show/

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Audi is set to unveil the all-new Q8 in Shenzhen, China tomorrow but the first images of the crossover have hit the web.

Posted by Observador.pt, the pictures reveal the production model has remained relatively faithful to the Q8 and Q8 Sport concepts. This enables the crossover to appear significantly sportier than its Q7 counterpart.

Starting up front, we can see a prominent Singleframe grille with vertical chrome strips and a contrasting grey surround. Flanking the grille are large air intakes and slender LED headlights which are positioned above a blacked out panel. We can also see a silver skid plate and a sculpted hood.

The side profile is the Q8’s sportiest angle as it reveals the crossover has a gently sloping roof and a heavily raked C-pillar. The greenhouse is relatively compact and it reportedly features frameless windows to enhance its coupe-like image.

Continuing to the rear, the Q8 has a tailgate-mounted spoiler and a sporty rear bumper. We can also see a dual exhaust system and LED taillights which are connected by a thin strip.

The sporty styling gives way to a luxurious and high-tech interior which follows in the footsteps of newer models such as the A6 and A8. Drivers sit behind a flat-bottomed steering wheel and find themselves surrounded by leather and Alcantara upholstery as well as metallic accents. This particular model also has piano black trim which blends in with the main infotainment system. Speaking of screens, the Q8 has a digital instrument cluster and a third display for climate control and convenience features.

The rear seats look relatively roomy and there appears to be a decent amount of headroom despite the crossover’s sloping roof. There doesn’t appear to be many amenities back there but rear passengers will be able to adjust climate control settings via a touchscreen mounted on the rear of the center console.

Detailed specifications are lacking but the Q8 reportedly holds 605 liters (21.3 cubic feet) of luggage behind the rear seats. That can be expanded to 1,755 liters (61.9 cubic feet) with relative ease.

Under the hood, there will be an assortment of petrol and diesel engines featuring mild-hybrid technology. At launch, there will reportedly be a 3.0-liter V6 petrol with 340 PS (250 kW / 335 hp) and two 3.0-liter TDI units. The entry-level diesel is slated to produce 231 PS (170 kW / 228 PS) while the more powerful variant will have 286 PS (210 kW / 282 hp).

The Q8 will be launched in Europe this fall and we should learn more details tomorrow.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/2019-audi-q8-sport-quattro-crossover-era/

Audi-Q8-7.jpg

Audi-Q8-5.jpg

Audi-Q8-10.jpg

Audi-Q8-8.jpg

Audi-Q8-9.jpg

Audi-Q8-6.jpg

Audi-Q8-3.jpg

Audi-Q8-4.jpg

Audi-Q8-23.jpg

Audi-Q8-21.jpg

Audi-Q8-20.jpg

Audi-Q8-22.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know if this is good or bad, but it's exactly what I expected. It looks like every other Audi inside out and, and therefore, wholly unspecial. Just a different variation of the same theme.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I like the interior, but the exterior is just aggressively awful. Why are there two arches over each wheel well? Why is the hood a weird maze of meaningless character lines?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Audi has been touting this as their new "flagship of flagships" - even above the A8. I can't imagine the average person would even think or look twice if this drove by them on the street.

The front end looks like a USB port.

Funny thing to me is that this car is actually the closest competition to the LF-1. There is no way the Lexus won't stomp this thing in terms of design and overall appeal.

Last edited:
Reactions
Audi has been touting this as their new "flagship of flagships" - even above the A8. I can't imagine the average person would even think or look twice if this drove by them on the street.

The front end looks like a USB port.

Funny thing to me is that this car is actually the closest competition to the LF-1. There is no way the Lexus won't stomp this thing in terms of design and overall appeal.

I choked from laughing at that comment LOL. In regards to your last sentence I am fearful that badge snobs will just flick their noses up at the LF-1, even though it will be many times better than the Q8.

Reactions: CIF

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
Making fun of Audi's front end while the Lexus LF1 will purportedly look like this:

1OgXKph.jpg

...is like the "pot calling the kettle black." Lexus' LF1 looks like a face of an angry person. It shares design cues from the Nissan Juke:

jvmo4CK.jpg

Audi is probably the most conservative of the big German three in regards to their overall design language. It's probably one of the reasons why their sales have been continually rising for almost half a decade.

Attachments

• 2015-nissan-juke-front-end.jpg
    2015-nissan-juke-front-end.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Lexus-LF-1-Limitless-904947.jpg
    Lexus-LF-1-Limitless-904947.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Making fun of Audi's front end while the Lexus LF1 will purportedly look like this:

1OgXKph.jpg

...is like the "pot calling the kettle black." Lexus' LF1 looks like a face of an angry person. It shares design cues from the Nissan Juke:

jvmo4CK.jpg

Audi is probably the most conservative of the big German three in regards to their overall design language. It's probably one of the reasons why their sales have been continually rising for almost half a decade.

We are talking about the Q8, not Lexus or anyone else. Your response on a Lexus forum is petty while trying to incite people to answer. Guess what, we all know the spindle grill is polarizing.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
We are talking about the Q8, not Lexus or anyone else. Your response on a Lexus forum is petty while trying to incite people to answer. Guess what, we all know the spindle grill is polarizing.

And to further this, the LF-1 is a concept car, so it will clearly be toned down for production.

And if you think Audi's generic designs have led to increased sales, what do you make of the L-Finesse 2/spindle grill Lexus models being the best selling ones ever?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
There is basically zero chance the production LF-1 will have that grille. It's the one obvious non-production thing on that "concept".

Shame the Q8's confirmed to have the Passat rear end again. Audi needs to stop doing that.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think if you look up the words cold, sterile, bleak, gloomy and minimalistic in the dictionary, a picture of this interior should appear.

I like the interior, but the exterior is just aggressively awful. Why are there two arches over each wheel well? Why is the hood a weird maze of meaningless character lines?

Don't forget the box fenders/flares on top of the double wheel arches. Audi's reasoning is you can't have too many wheel arches, fenders and flares on one vehicle :laughing:.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's a smidge better in "S" form, but then I remember these are the guys who ran a commercial claiming their CUVs were more daringly styled than the polarizing current RX and I have to laugh.

Bonus: those wheels are the "five coffins" design that used to be offered on some Vee-Dubs (I want to say the New Beetle or the Jetta) with slots cut into them. That'll help the accusations that VAG is the new king of badge engineering.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I totally agree and I am blown away by those SQ8 pics. Not only is it still incredibly bland looking, it's using common VW rims! On an Audi flagship model! For shame.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Saw my first Q8 on the road today. At first, I thought it was a new Q3...

I just don't understand who would ever buy this thing. It's bland as white bread.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
Doug DeMuro did a good video on this vehicle. The styling isn't for me but the Virtual Cockpit that Audi uses is amazing.

mikeavelli

Reactions
We have modified 3 at Vossen already, 2 were at SEMA.... They look better with bigger wheels but unfortunately the exterior continues to leave me cold. I really don't understand the front end at all. The rear is my favorite part.

IMG_2650 2.JPG