Apple Talk

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm on the Verizon upgrade-every-year plan so an 11 Pro is already coming to replace my XS. I can't wait to try the low-light picture mode.

Regarding the Watch, I have a Series 4 right now. The 5's always-on display isn't quite compelling enough to do an upgrade for me, but the extra storage (5 has 32 GB, 4 was 16) may be important now that a full SDK is out for watchOS and we'll finally start seeing apps that can operate independently of the phone.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
BTW, for those who haven't seen it yet, CarPlay has a revised, better-looking display in iOS 13. You can see a few of the improvements here:

Additionally, CarPlay in 13 supports showing different apps on different screens in the car, but no automakers support that feature yet.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I'm on the Verizon upgrade-every-year plan so an 11 Pro is already coming to replace my XS. I can't wait to try the low-light picture mode.

Regarding the Watch, I have a Series 4 right now. The 5's always-on display isn't quite compelling enough to do an upgrade for me, but the extra storage (5 has 32 GB, 4 was 16) may be important now that a full SDK is out for watchOS and we'll finally start seeing apps that can operate independently of the phone.

I'm going to go with a standard iPhone 11 as an upgrade on my iPhone 8 Plus. It's my wife that needs an upgrade more than me, though -- she's still using an iPhone SE. 😂

I've also been using a Hackintosh for the past three years -- built it myself as an experiment and it's held up well. Still, think it might be worth getting a Mac Mini soon.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Good points. The black Hermes one is yelling at me but thats a lot of coin for an apple watch....

but damn its beautiful lol

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Got the 11 pro max right away knowing that it only came with 4GB ram (vs 12GB ram on Galaxy Note 10+). The only thing different from last iPhone I had is the speed.

I don't think the upgrade is worth it (unless you have money to spare) mainly because the ram is not a big upgrade from past iPhones and apps often randomly resets if you switch out to another app. Its not very PRO in my opinion, would it have killed them to include at least an 8GB ram?

The thing Apple does best is software/ecosystem and from what I experience and hear, its what keeps everybody in line and coming back for more.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
The thing Apple does best is software/ecosystem and from what I experience and hear, its what keeps everybody in line and coming back for more.

The $$$ that I've spent on apps is the #1 reason I still use iPhones. Too invested in the ecosystem.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Got the 11 pro max right away knowing that it only came with 4GB ram (vs 12GB ram on Galaxy Note 10+). The only thing different from last iPhone I had is the speed.

Well, that and the reviewer-verified 5 extra hours of battery life, which even wearing my iOS developer hat I'd rather have than more RAM. The Nintendo Switch has 4GB and it's not limiting anyone there.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
iPhone or iPad?

What is the difference between both? Lastly I understood iPad had its own store with own apps. It is iOS or MacOS? Two in one?

For a phone I want the old SE, but can't find in good condition for a decent price, so give I give up.

But I need an "app" device, not a phone, so at this point it does not have to be small, but I don't want a laptop sized screen either. I do not need to change it every year, but software upgrade are important to me. Android s*cks in that regard. Android tablets have even more outdated operating systems. I don't like Apple as a company but have no much choice.

I do not need LTE, WiFi is enough, but I see only LTE has GPS, sometimes it is needed for some apps. Do all iPhone apps work on iPad or will iPad lack some iPhone apps? How easy is it to transfer files between an iPad/iPhone and a Windows 10 PC? I hated using iTunes with my iPhone 4. Android is plug USB, see all files and copy/paste. My PC has no BT.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
iPad is a tablet
iPhone is a phone

Both can be used in wifi only mode, but only the phone comes standard with the LTE chip, while the iPad its an optional extra ($$$)

Itunes is no longer required as in the past.

I`d suggest picking up a 2020 iPhone SE if you need an small size phone.

If you want to try out an Android device, you should pick up a Google Pixel device, at least 3 years of updates and best camera (if thats your thing) or a Oneplus device.

you should really have no issue with your W10 with either device, and it comes down to your personal ease of use to choose between androids vs ios

Levi

Expert
Reactions
iPad is a tablet
iPhone is a phone

Both can be used in wifi only mode, but only the phone comes standard with the LTE chip, while the iPad its an optional extra ($$$)

Itunes is no longer required as in the past.

I`d suggest picking up a 2020 iPhone SE if you need an small size phone.

If you want to try out an Android device, you should pick up a Google Pixel device, at least 3 years of updates and best camera (if thats your thing) or a Oneplus device.

you should really have no issue with your W10 with either device, and it comes down to your personal ease of use to choose between androids vs ios
But do all iPhone apps work on iPad, atleast not optimized?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
All iOS apps also work on the iPad, even if they aren't specifically optimized for it. (The reverse isn't true; there are iPad-specific apps that don't work on the phone). And the vast majority of iOS apps do have an optimized iPad screen layout. It's not like the Android situation where most apps are designed only for phones and look/act weird on larger screens.

If you do any regular travelling (at least when there's not COVID-19), the extra cost for the LTE iPad can be worth it so you can tether your laptop, or even just use the iPad itself while not paying the often-inflated prices hotels charge for Internet access.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Thanks Ian. That is a good thing that all iPhone apps work on iPad, even if not optimized. Because it will not replace my laptop/pc but be used as a larger phone (but not for phoning), I'll then get the iPad mini. Should get updates long enough I suppose.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Went to see the iPhone 12 mini. Really nice small by today's standards, smaller than the no more Sony XZ2 Compact. No USB-C is disappointing though. Oh, and I don't like widgets, but you can hide the page now.

I think there will be no 13 mini, but the 12 mini might return in some years as a 3rd gen SE. I doubt Android will have any competition in this size. The 130mm x 65 mm is the maximum of what can be considered small.