Apple CarPlay Issues - multiple models?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hi All,

Thanks to Lexus' generosity, I've had a few different press cars over the last few months and I've been driving a 2021 RX 350 for the last two weeks while my GX is having a creaking rear sear bracket repaired. Those cars are:

2021 RC 350
2021 LS 500
2022 IS 500
2021 RX 350

... and I've found CarPlay similarly frustrating to use in every single one of them. My 2021 GX does not have CarPlay of course, but our 2021 Camry does, so I've been excited about having it in these vehicles. Phone is an iPhone 12 Pro. I do love having Waze on the screen, but other than that, I've had a number of problems across every one of these vehicles and am finding CarPlay quite a PITA to use. Those issues are:

- Podcasts app loads very slowly and sometimes not at all
- Playlists don't fully load - most often only 5-7 of them, and I have 20+
- If playlists do load, sometimes they are grayed out and cannot be selected or played
- Screens freezing and not responding, or delaying inputs significantly
- Waze is very, very slow to load but works once it's up
- On the RX, if I enter the car on a call that transfers to CarPlay, even after I hang up, the car won't play any audio because it says "Call in progress"

We've never had any of these problems with the Camry, and I just expected that the functionality and back ends between the systems would be fairly similar, but perhaps I am wrong? One little issue here or there is nothing to worry about IMO, but every one of these cars has exhibited each of these issues with the RX being the only one to have the "call in progress" issue after I hang up. I usually end up exiting out of CarPlay and just using the native system for audio.

Has anyone else had these issues? Curious what others are experiencing.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Some of that is likely the fault of the specific apps. I use Overcast to play podcasts (the feature where it transparently removes pauses in conversation is really nice for some podcasts) and have had no problems with it, even through the wireless CarPlay dongle from Amazon. I did get an issue once where the car refused to play audio after a call, but I'm not sure if that's the phone's fault or the car's. Disconnecting and reconnecting CarPlay fixed it.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
Android Auto is also acting up in my 21 NX300h. It takes more than one try to get the phone connected to the car and once it's connected it will randomly disconnect on it's own then reconnect several minutes later. Or I can disconnect the USB and reconnect a few times in hopes of it connecting.

The 20 NX300 I had last year didn't do this. But it could be an app issue in both systems like @Ian Schmidt said. It's very annoying whatever is causing it.

Last edited:
Reactions
Hi All,

Thanks to Lexus' generosity, I've had a few different press cars over the last few months and I've been driving a 2021 RX 350 for the last two weeks while my GX is having a creaking rear sear bracket repaired. Those cars are:

2021 RC 350
2021 LS 500
2022 IS 500
2021 RX 350

... and I've found CarPlay similarly frustrating to use in every single one of them. My 2021 GX does not have CarPlay of course, but our 2021 Camry does, so I've been excited about having it in these vehicles. Phone is an iPhone 12 Pro. I do love having Waze on the screen, but other than that, I've had a number of problems across every one of these vehicles and am finding CarPlay quite a PITA to use. Those issues are:

- If playlists do load, sometimes they are grayed out and cannot be selected or played
- On the RX, if I enter the car on a call that transfers to CarPlay, even after I hang up, the car won't play any audio because it says "Call in progress"

We've never had any of these problems with the Camry, and I just expected that the functionality and back ends between the systems would be fairly similar, but perhaps I am wrong? One little issue here or there is nothing to worry about IMO, but every one of these cars has exhibited each of these issues with the RX being the only one to have the "call in progress" issue after I hang up. I usually end up exiting out of CarPlay and just using the native system for audio.

None of these problems but something more basic! While CarPlay starts when the iPhone is plugged in 90-95% of the time, far too often for me, it does not connect 5-10% of the time. Have to turn off car, unplug and restart, which usually allows a connection. Sometimes 3 restarts!

I spoke to a wireless CarPlay dongle vendor who claims the USB port is flaky on the RX450h and can be replaced. Was hoping the wireless CarPlay would do an end run around the problem but it does not work with our 450h (tho they list the car as one that should work). He said most 450h purchasers have no problem...some, like us, do.

Talked to Lexus 'tech/genius' who handles CarPlay questions at our dealership. He suggested we bring it in and have the USB port tested and maybe replaced. While he didn't say so, sounds like they know there's an issue. Once connected, it works flawlessly.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I just got back from a 1200 mile trip and I have to say Android Auto behaved much better than the last time I used it in 2021. I don't know if the app itself has been updated or what's happened but I didn't have near the trouble with it as before. The only slight hiccup I had with it was on the 10 hour initial trip after about 45 minutes or so it started that random disconnecting again that drove me nuts before. Took about 10 minutes or so of plugging in, unplugging, plugging in, etc to finally get it to stop. But on the 10 hour return trip, I connected it that morning and it never gave one issue the entire way back.

Reactions
CarPlay (wireless) works flawlessly for me on my LX 600. Same with my 2019 NX (wired). But I have only used Amazon Music, the phone and texting app and Google Maps. Phone is an iPhone 12 Pro.

Reactions
Hi All,

2021 RC 350
2021 LS 500
2022 IS 500
2021 RX 350

I have had 4 1-hour sessions with an Apple Techie in the past 4 weeks and still can't get the Music APP to work. I've reset my phone and infotainment system multiple times, had the Lexus Dealer check the software (purportedly) and the result was nil. It worked relatively well for a year and just died. All the Apps work on CarPlay except Music..it locks up every time and I generally get a dark (night) screen. I also have an MX-5 and have the same problem. Just tried my wife's iPhone and it dies as well so now I'm really confused. Any suggestions?

Reactions
So after two years of dealing with as an erratic connection with our RX450h, which works maybe nine times out of 10, I think the connection problem has been solved. I complained again to my dealership and they told me there was now a firmware update that improves the CarPlay connectivity. CarPlay now connects every time, and a bit faster than it used to.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I have had 4 1-hour sessions with an Apple Techie in the past 4 weeks and still can't get the Music APP to work. I've reset my phone and infotainment system multiple times, had the Lexus Dealer check the software (purportedly) and the result was nil. It worked relatively well for a year and just died. All the Apps work on CarPlay except Music..it locks up every time and I generally get a dark (night) screen. I also have an MX-5 and have the same problem. Just tried my wife's iPhone and it dies as well so now I'm really confused. Any suggestions?
As far as I know (I do some iOS development) if CarPlay connects and other apps work on it, there's nothing the car can do to affect specific apps. Are you using the stock music app or Spotify or something else entirely?

Reactions
As far as I know (I do some iOS development) if CarPlay connects and other apps work on it, there's nothing the car can do to affect specific apps. Are you using the stock music app or Spotify or something else entirely?
I am using The Apple Music App and have about 10,000 tracks that I transferred from iTunes. I stopped working after I started listening to audio books, some of which were downloaded from librivox.com and converted to audio books in iTunes using the audiobook selection of options (I use Get info) to access.

I just bought a iPhone 14 and went to the Mx5, which had CarPlay dealer installed, and schzam, CarPlay did not lock up!

The Lexus RX350 was not so lucky and I spent 1.5 hours today with my 6 senior advisor who wanted me to do a factory reset on a 4 day old phone!

It now seems like the problem is with the Lexus, but I’m not anxious to drive 1 hour to the dealer

Still confused

Reactions
Evidently, its Lexus’s best kept secret (Software/firmware CarPlay problems) and they may have become quite adept at dancing people across the floor. While not a ubiquitous problem, it is a problem. I spent over 3 hours at the dealer (Lexus RGV Pharr Texas) and I think they were trying to wear me down. Prior to my 2nd visit, I asked for a loaner vehicle for as long as it took to repair my car and they agreed. I wanted to establish some margining power. I drove My MX5 to the dealership (not the loaner). They tested 4 of their phones on my 2021 RX350 and they all worked and mine did not. I tried my phone on their newer RX350s and it did not work. They insisted my problem was with Apple. I showed them a recent video of my NEW phone and on my OLD MX5 and it worked flawlessly. I think they tried to wear me down and leave (by this time there were 3 of them working on me). The tech was very helpful and admitted that he had called a Houston dealership and they acknowledged that they had experienced other conflicts with phone compatibility and needed to get engineering involved to create a patch. We then tried my phone on a Lexus without the Navigation system, and it worked flawlessly! The service manager was still inclined to point the towards APPLE, but in the end had to accept the fact that APPLE WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. I insisted that I wanted a TAS Number, and it was issued Case Number 223480224. My Reference Number with Lexus is #221211000063.

My wife has a Mercedes C250 Sport and we have seriously been looking at replacing it with a IS350 Sport. She’s not into technology and would prefer a push button radio to CarPlay but after my experiences she is convinced that she does not want a Lexus. Lexus lost a sale for sure.

Persistent, a little less patient, and no longer confused

Reactions
12/19/22

Reluctantly, I returned my loaner after learning that Lexus Engineers had no intentions on going to work on a patch. I must say that front line Lexus people were for the most part very considerate but as I generally mentioned to everyone, the solution is above mine and their paygrade. The Senior Tech at my dealership was very helpful and straightforward. The engineers wanted me to factory reset a brand new phone, reload all 10.000 plus iTunes tracks, passwords….. when my phones works on cheap cars (MX5, NX’s… ) but if you have a luxury package via con Dios. Since I had done that at least twice with Apple, I refused. I was able to find a work around in iTunes and found the cause of the problem.

I COULD NOT USE MY ITUNES LIBRARY AS APPLE DESIGNED IT AND WAS FORCED TO DELETE AND LOOSE OVER 40 AUDIO BOOKS! Many of my audio books are from Librivox.com and are public domain. I will try to upload images of the iTunes settings that locked up the Music app on my RX350. While I don’t necessarily want all of my eggs in one basket, I do want all of my chickens in one coup and unfortunately Lexus vehicles with a Navigation package will not allow me to do that. Librivox has an App and it seems that so far I’ve not had a lockup on Carplay.

Bottom Line:

• 4 months of aggravation for me and Apple for a Lexus caused problem
  • 3 trips to the dealership 45 miles away in traffic,
  • 10+ hours with Senior Apple Techs,
  • 20+ hours of reinstalling music, passwords, Apps.
  • 2 Apple Case numbers,
  • $1,200 for a new iPhone I did not need
  • And that’s just what I remember
It you like iTunes like I do, you may want to take a second

No longer confused, reluctantly accepting things I cannot change, but not necessarily knowing the difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-20 080421.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-20 080421.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm glad you figured out the problem. I guess Librivox is the problem then, as I don't have anything from them. Just iTunes purchases, imported MP3s, and an Apple Music subscription for streaming. All of those things have always worked great over CarPlay, plus the Overcast app for podcasts.

Reactions
No, Librivox is NOT the problem, AND iTunes is not the problem AND Apple Carplay is not the problem. I am not a software/firmware expert, but my experience is that...

The LEXUS INTERFACE to Carplay IS THE PROBLEM when ANYONE who has ANY sound file from ANY source... codes that file in their Apple iTunes library as an Audiobook (pictured above) ANY Lexus with a Nav system will LOCK OUT ALL MUSIC FILES EVERY TIME.

Conversely, and I can only speak from my personal experience at the LEXUS Dealer With the Service Manager AND the Senior Tech AND a Customer Service REP that ANY LEXUS WITHOUT A NAV SYSTEM does not lock up AND my 2016 MX5 with Dealer Installed Carplay DOES NOT LOCK UP WITH AN iTUNES sound file coded as an Audiobook.

I can speak with certainty that ANY Lexus owner that has a Nav system a tries to play any iTunes album is coded as an Audiobook the LEXUS software WILL LOCK the CARPLAY Music APP.

The Audiobooks I deleted were in my Music Library in iTunes and were coded as an Audiobook in iTunes, For ME, the advantage of coding an iTunes sound file in iTunes as an Audiobook is that when I am listening to an audiobook from any source located in my music library on long trips the selection is bookmarked when I stop for fuel or whatnot. When I coded Audiobooks as Music I often needed to remember the track... I've been known to go on 30+ hour road trips and books like Quo Vadis & Moby ****, which are Public Domain books, are over 20 hours long and some chapters are over an hour long, so it's frustrating figuring out where I left off.