Another one bites the dust

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Low margins on the mostly rental car versions sold won't be missed.

Reactions
There are barely any Sonatas on the lot nowadays in comparison to 2020 when I was test drove one. Most dealers don't even have any on the lot to sell, while the inventory is seemingly Tucsons and Santa Fes. The writing is all the wall, especially when Hyundai and Kia would use their capacity in their American plants for crossovers, and soon, EVs. Many are saying that the Ioniq 6 will replace the Sonata...

Also, the Legacy is most likely endangered as well, and Altimas are selling around the same volume (100K), so who knows if Nissan will also continue after this generation (Maxima is probably 86'd too since the Avalon is going away also). I think Toyota called it when they said they would gain marketshare, in which most of the remaining sedan sales in the segment is theirs and Honda for the most part.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’m a big fan of the Stinger. Here is a quick, RwD or AWD car with a hatch for good cargo room. Looks great to me. People rather buy a knockoff range rover telluride for the same price. Stinger never stood a chance.

I wonder what happens to the GV70 which shares with the stinger?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I’m a big fan of the Stinger. Here is a quick, RwD or AWD car with a hatch for good cargo room. Looks great to me. People rather buy a knockoff range rover telluride for the same price. Stinger never stood a chance.

I wonder what happens to the GV70 which shares with the stinger?
Do you mean the G70 sedan? The GV70 is the crossover.

Compact luxury sedans (Genesis G70, Lexus IS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, BMW 3-Series) seem to be selling (at least in Canada), much better than the mid-size luxury sedans (Lexus GS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5-Series), which have lost the fight to crossovers.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
There are barely any Sonatas on the lot nowadays in comparison to 2020 when I was test drove one. Most dealers don't even have any on the lot to sell, while the inventory is seemingly Tucsons and Santa Fes. The writing is all the wall, especially when Hyundai and Kia would use their capacity in their American plants for crossovers, and soon, EVs. Many are saying that the Ioniq 6 will replace the Sonata...

Also, the Legacy is most likely endangered as well, and Altimas are selling around the same volume (100K), so who knows if Nissan will also continue after this generation (Maxima is probably 86'd too since the Avalon is going away also). I think Toyota called it when they said they would gain marketshare, in which most of the remaining sedan sales in the segment is theirs and Honda for the most part.
I saw very few current-generation Sonatas on the streets here, until recently (for some reason). Perhaps dealers have been trying to clear out the unsold Sonatas.

Weren't there rumours that the Altima will soon be cancelled? I haven't seen current-generation Altimas on the streets either. The Camry, especially the (X)SE trim however, are on every street corner.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Do you mean the G70 sedan? The GV70 is the crossover.

Compact luxury sedans (Genesis G70, Lexus IS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, BMW 3-Series) seem to be selling (at least in Canada), much better than the mid-size luxury sedans (Lexus GS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5-Series), which have lost the fight to crossovers.
Sorry that’s what i meant. Another bunch of useless names lol

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Headlights (in part).

Homologation of those lighting solutions, and what it took to get to the final designs for each car probably did a brutal number on their economics.

Vehicle commercialization is an expensive, iterative, multiplicative and duplicative process. Very easy to burn a mountain of money with nothing to sell at the end of the day.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
They spent alot on marketing for these products. Didnt help i guess

Sadly while all 3 are very good, people will buy a cuv over them. Ford already dropped sedans as we know.

They do race the Elantra so i assume that will stay.

Reactions
I saw very few current-generation Sonatas on the streets here, until recently (for some reason). Perhaps dealers have been trying to clear out the unsold Sonatas.

Weren't there rumours that the Altima will soon be cancelled? I haven't seen current-generation Altimas on the streets either. The Camry, especially the (X)SE trim however, are on every street corner.
You're right there are TONS of current gen Camrys on the road. I rented from Turo a 2022 XSE (either white or Wind Chill), and they are seemingly everywhere. I don't see as many of the newer 2020 Sonatas...I personally think these buyers went the Kia K5 route instead, which isn't so controversial.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Sadly while all 3 are very good, people will buy a cuv over them. Ford already dropped sedans as we know.

They do race the Elantra so i assume that will stay.
The product was spec wise really good, but it seemed to ignore what the core buyer of a midsize sedan wanted I guess.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
I suppose those at Kia responsible for analyzing market trends expect to see a continual decline in demand for the K5 (as the numbers posted in the article seem to indicate), otherwise this is simply speculation at this point. Given the increasing demand for CUVs this is not surprising. Maybe it’s because I like the exterior design of the K5 and this model really stands out to me, but I see these everywhere. For that reason, it does surprise me a bit that it may be given the axe in a few years. In the midsize sedan class I like this car second to the Camry. Most of the other (few) remaining models in this class I find boring.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The product was spec wise really good, but it seemed to ignore what the core buyer of a midsize sedan wanted I guess.

Seems that segment will only be Accord and Camry soon. Mazda 6 might not come back either.

Reactions

I wonder what happens to the GV70 G70 which shares with the stinger?

It still has the GV70. And Hyundai could develop a modular RWD platform for all of their luxury cars.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The current Sonata is ugly as hell, y'all sure that's not the real reason that it isn't selling well? Whereas the current gen Camry looks good for what it is.