Allstate's Drive-Wise Tracking-Discount Program Seems to be Legitimate.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Allstate's Drive-Wise Tracking-Discount Program Seems to be Legitimate.

https://www.allstate.com/drive-wise.aspx

Recently, some insurance companies have come up with programs that use a tracking-app to keep track of the number of miles you drive and/or other factors that could affect your premiums. If you sign up for them and agree to them, you could get some discounts you wouldn't otherwise be getting.

The traditional argument against these, of course, is that it compromises one's freedom and privacy....and, if companies could afford to send out discounts/refunds, then the policies were probably overpriced to begin with. Perhaps, perhaps not....those are complex issues that not only are not going to be settled by simple posts on a forum, but also, in some cases, could involve political matters that the moderators don't want us discussing. So, I won't get into those.

I have GEICO Insurance, which as of now, does not offer that specific program, but does offer a lot of regular discounts and very low rates to start with...I have been very pleased with them over many years, and still am. My brother has Allstate, which does offer that program...it gives you a flat $75 to sign up for it, and then pays you according to how good your driving-habits are, and how clean you keep your nose, legally. It monitors your acceleration / braking (jack-rabbit starts and panic-braking can cost you, although, if you had to make a quick stop to avoid a child, deer, collision, etc..... (or, if the vehicle's automatic-braking system does it for you), Allstate allows you to explain the circumstances and will remove the infraction if you have an otherwise good record. He told me just this evening that Allstate informed him he has (roughly) an additional $125 check on the way, and is continuing to earn money back....that's more than a $200 refund so far, although I forgot to ask him the amount of time this was for.

Can't say it will work out for everyone (my brother, like me, is a conservative driver, and generally doesn't go into seedy or high-risk areas)...but it's certainly working out for him, and probably would for a lot of other people as well. I like that Allstate program myself, but I also like the conditions I currently have from GEICO (they have low prices to start with, and don't need refunds)...and I'm on GEICO's Policy-For-Life customer-list....they cannot drop me for any reason, as long as premiums are paid (I have that in writing). In other words, I have a policy for the rest of my driving life, even if I goof up and get tickets or have an accident.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
There is the belief among some here in the province of Ontario, Canada that the ubiquity of these devices is but a matter of time. I for one will hold out for as long as I can; if I can help it, I will not allow this plug-in device in my car or the app on my smartphone.

What these devices cannot see is the larger traffic situation. Will I always be disallowed from trying to quickly get out of a situation that I believe is inefficient or dangerous to my driving, for fear that my insurance rate will go up?

Additionally, do these devices understand how best to drive a hybrid electric vehicle by hypermiling -- accelerating quickly to get up to speed and then coasting (hopefully in EV mode)? Or will they penalize me for accelerating too quickly?