Akio Toyoda Says Tesla is Just a ‘Recipe’, Toyota a ‘Kitchen and Chef’

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Tesla Only a ‘Recipe’

In a series of bizarre quotes, Toyoda implies the small scale of Tesla compared to the might of Toyota.

Might want to get building some EVs then Akio rather than let the rest of the car industry overtake you...

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Toyota is the world's largest sponsor of battery research and holds the largest pool of IP related to EVs. So yes I would say they have the kitchen and chef.

With that in mind then, its bizarre that the only Lexus EV is a small entry-level SUV/CUV. I think at this stage, we would all on this forum love to see Lexus become Toyota's BEV Tour de Force.

Will1991

Reactions
To be honest, Electrek and InsideEvs are making what they usually do... Trying to downplay and trying to make Toyota look like some kind of evil company.
Is there any car company in the world that as made as much for the environment as Toyota with millions of hybrids on the road for years?
Is there any car company or battery manufacturer that is able to recicle more than 90% (95% for Prime) of almost all the batteries they produce?
Is there any other company who designs everything thinking about their end of life?

Toyota (sadly for me) isn’t building any proper BEV at the moment, but I cannot agree with everything that being said about this comment.

This is clearly some comments about a company they don’t know or understand and are made from people who clearly didn’t watch the full presentation.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
With that in mind then, its bizarre that the only Lexus EV is a small entry-level SUV/CUV. I think at this stage, we would all on this forum love to see Lexus become Toyota's BEV Tour de Force.
"Slow and steady wins the race."

Demand for EVs is still low right now. And, hopefully, by the time that demand has grown enough, Toyota will have its fleet of "best-of-class" EVs, with its solid-state batteries, ready for sale.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota is actively developing solid state batteries. It makes no sense for them to invest heavily in BEVs based on today's soon-to-be-outdated tech.
Tesla fanboys are good laugh sometimes.

Toyota is investing in EVs based on proven tech. They can NOT bet on a future tech with even lower TRL than even the fuel cells. SSBs are TRL4 while hydrogen FCs are TRL8. Traditional Li-ion batteries still have a lot of low-hanging fruit for density safety and reliability improvements.

Modular EV platform doesn't care about battery chemistry that much. Since they can just swap out modules. We will see a lot of E-TNGA cars being sold (millions) before SSBs arrive.