2024 Acura ZDX and ZDX Type S Revealed

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Acura will sell its EVs exclusively online starting in 2024

The ZDX and ZDX Type S will be the first models available for sale.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The ZDX and ZDX Type S will be Acura's first full-EV offerings and serve as the harbingers of the company's new, exclusively online EV sales strategy. Diallo didn't have much additional information regarding how the system would work — such as whether haggling was allowed or how individual vehicle prices would be set — but assured the assembled journalists, "as we get closer to [the ZDX debut], we certainly will be discussing this a little bit more with our dealer body and the press in general. For right now we're still finalizing all those details." Acura joins Ford, Volvo, GM and VW in shifting its electrified vehicle sales to the digital marketplace.
Will the ZDX become a commodity item, like all those things you can buy on Amazon? And what about test drives?

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
No thank you. I bought two Teslas online but that was different LOL. I actually prefer to drive my vehicles before I buy now ha ha.

Also, the dealership model is superior when you need service BTW. You don't realize how nice it is to be able to phone the service centre with any concerns, and get in in less than 4-8 weeks.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
uhhh wow Acura ZDX EVs tb sold online supposedly.…

Btw some up to date Tesla info (for a change) in 2023:
1. Test drives have been happening in last 4 years for any Tesla customer that needs one, now “no copilot”/ no gabby salesperson in car.
2. I just had Tesla Mobile Service come to my home last week. 2 week lead time and $61 (2 cabin filters changed), easy. Appointment booked via Tesla app, no talking to uncaring people on phone.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I am thinking that Mobile Service may be a nice experience (I've never tried it) but then I would worry about some young boy driving my Lexus potentially miles and miles (kilometres and kilometres) back and forth from the pick-up point back to the service facility. It would be worse than leaving my nice car at valet parking.

I would still want to be able to test drive a car before I decide to buy it. I don't mind doing the purchase process online but I would want to sit in and drive a car before deciding, and then having a dealership for me to drop off my car for servicing.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Tesla mobile service is nice yes, but I needed them about 5 times per year due to such garbage bin quality for the price. I dumped my newest Tesla at 2.5 years because they had already replaced charge port door, charger cable, steering wheel stalks, headlight, wood dash trim piece, front air struts, front sway bar end links, key fob, fender camera, steering wheel scroll button, and more; and on top of that I still had a few minor issues when I traded the car, but I got completely tired of having to get things fixed basically every other month. I'll take one service visit at a dealer for an oil change once a year over owning a Tesla any day.

The worst part of all that, is when I traded the car in it had just 21,185 km on it (13,163 miles). Disgusting.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Agreed, those are certainly unacceptable/disgusting Tesla service experiences of several years ago.

And now for some current events (happy new year 2023):
So I'll list all my manufacturing Tesla defects on a 2020 M3 SRP and a 2021 Model 3 LRAWD over recent period of last 3 years, total of 33,000 miles driven/(53,000km).
1. On the 2020 driver's door was not aligned properly, Mobil Tesla Service came to my office and in 25 minutes door adjustment was completed and alignment was perfect.
2. On the 2021, passenger side sun visor swivel hinge makes creaking sound at certain cold temperatures, annoying but only happens infrequently within a narrow temperature range. That hinge will have to be replaced, but I haven't booked the appointment yet.

Back to the topic here being Acura EV's to be sold online only starting 2024, Acura/Honda has much more manufacturing experience and hopefully will do a better launch of EVs from a quality standpoint than Tesla did in its first 5 years of production.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Second car I ever owned was a used 1994 Acura Legend Coupe. Just an amazing and extremely high-quality vehicle. Absolutely loved it. Outside of NSX, doubt Acura will ever make a vehicle that complete again. Sad.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Wait how bad the service experience is going to be for EVs from mainstream brands, when their service facilities wont have certified technicians to work on EVs, especially outside of the US.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I follow a guy on YouTube, he's having troubles getting his Genesis GV60 EV fixed because there is no EV certified techs nearby, his car had to be towed hundreds of miles even though he has Hyundai dealers closer.

Welcome to the future, bro.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I follow a guy on YouTube, he's having troubles getting his Genesis GV60 EV fixed because there is no EV certified techs nearby, his car had to be towed hundreds of miles even though he has Hyundai dealers closer.

Welcome to the future, bro.

Is that in US? Because it's even worse elsewhere - for example in Russia there is not a single MB dealership that services the EQS, yet they are happy to sell you one.

I also read that parts are always on backorder with indefinite lead times for EVs from mainstream manufacturers, people are waiting 6 month for parts when their cars get crash damage.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That's the problem with a lot of brands EV strategy. They thought they get a shortcut by using off the shelf solutions. They don't have full control over their supply chain and when shortages happen they are out of luck.

The most valuable lesson from Tesla is vertical integration is a must for mass producing EVs. There's much more pain and cost and steep learning curve, but it saves money in the long run.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That's the problem with a lot of brands EV strategy. They thought they get a shortcut by using off the shelf solutions. They don't have full control over their supply chain and when shortages happen they are out of luck.

The most valuable lesson from Tesla is vertical integration is a must for mass producing EVs. There's much more pain and cost and steep learning curve, but it saves money in the long run.
If this is true, Toyota might come out winner learning from mistakes of others. Unfortunately bZ4X and RZ 450e are mistakes too, but they apparently already have understood that hence the rumor of revamp/delay.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They actually are doing this with the PMC TLX.. apparently you order the car direct and it arrives at the dealer. Not sure what happens on the backend between manufacturer and dealer. I think since Acura dealerships are pretty low rent many buyers won’t care on not going to a dealer.

BTW title is missing General Motors in it 🙃😜

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• ZDX Type S delivers an estimated 500-horsepower – making it the most powerful Acura SUV ever
  • ZDX anticipated to receive an EPA range rating of 325 zero-emission miles1, in A-Spec single-motor configuration
  • ZDX marks first Acura applications of cutting-edge new technologies including Google built-in, Bang & Olufsen luxury audio and—in the Type S variant—AcuraWatch™ 360+ with Hands Free Cruise
  • Designed at the Acura Design Studio in Los Angeles, ZDX introduces Acura's latest styling language, previewed by the Precision EV Concept
  • Acura's first all-electric model, the ZDX will start in the $60,000 range with first client deliveries slated for early 2024
1692288291460.jpeg

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It does not look like the first ZDX. The first one I like, this is mundane.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Standard: 340 HP --> 325 miles of range
Type S: 500 hp --> 288 miles of range

I guess it took the GM partnership for Acura to get something right, but this definitely looks like their best product in recent memory. Interior looks nice, exterior looks fine enough.

Props to Acura. I would easily take this over an RZ. Crazy that Acura is about to be building 500hp SUVs and Lexus can barely crack 400hp. Is the LX 700h coming sometime soon?

preview-928x522.jpg

preview-928x522.jpg