Achievement Ratio: How Well On-Paper Performance Translates into Actual Performance

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
the b58 is much more accessible then the s58.

lots of Zupras, M340is. On the flip side VRs q60s, K civics, and anything recent dodge, ford dominating the scene.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
After driving the 440i for a while I'm beginning to miss NA responsiveness. B58 is one of the most responsive turbocharged engines yet I'm not entirely satisfied. But maybe it's because of the manual with super long gears (2nd goes to 75mph, 3rd goes to 115) and thus the lack of torque multiplication. I understand the 6 speed is geared for high top speed on Autobahn but I think the B58 is better with the legendary ZF8HP. The AT is a perfect balance of tight acceleration gears and efficient cruise gears.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
After driving the 440i for a while I'm beginning to miss NA responsiveness. B58 is one of the most responsive turbocharged engines yet I'm not entirely satisfied. But maybe it's because of the manual with super long gears (2nd goes to 75mph, 3rd goes to 115) and thus the lack of torque multiplication. I understand the 6 speed is geared for high top speed on Autobahn but I think the B58 is better with the legendary ZF8HP. The AT is a perfect balance of tight acceleration gears and efficient cruise gears.
have you considered the i4?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
After test driving the NX350, I would conclude the T24A-FTS+UA80 powertrain is not only a downgrade over the 2GR-FKS+U880 but also over the 15-year-old 2GR-FE+U660. The problem is not the power. The engine has the on-paper performance to be competitive. Once the car understands what you are asking for, there is just a very deep torque reserve that the V6 can't come close to. But those old V6s are just that: you want to go fast, transmission instantly kicks down and engine revs to power band without intruding your comfort.

At the same time TMC hybrids are getting better and better with each generation. Lexus ICEVs suck with a few exceptions, and you should get a hybrid whenever possible. It makes me sad especially after testing the 1997 Century V12: Toyota used to know how to build powerful, efficient, smooth, quiet pure ICEV powertrains but no more.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
After test driving the NX350, I would conclude the T24A-FTS+UA80 powertrain is not only a downgrade over the 2GR-FKS+U880 but also over the 15-year-old 2GR-FE+U660. The problem is not the power. The engine has the on-paper performance to be competitive. Once the car understands what you are asking for, there is just a very deep torque reserve that the V6 can't come close to. But those old V6s are just that: you want to go fast, transmission instantly kicks down and engine revs to power band without intruding your comfort.

At the same time TMC hybrids are getting better and better with each generation. Lexus ICEVs suck with a few exceptions, and you should get a hybrid whenever possible. It makes me sad especially after testing the 1997 Century V12: Toyota used to know how to build powerful, efficient, smooth, quiet pure ICEV powertrains but no more.
Interesting, I feel like that engine tune is pretty conservative and can be tuned for more hp especially since 275hp is kinda low for the engine size.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions

Also, I just have a feeling like if they put this combo in a IS for example I think it will be calibrated much better since the intent is performance, like more top end power, more responsiveness from engine and trans. But they just don't try that stuff with their bread and butter products.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I would not consider a terribly engineered ICEV conversion.
As I ranted on the other thread, BMW apologists will just not believe said fact. "LUTZ said CLAR was BEV capable since the start and the I4 is the best handling EV in its segment"

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Also, I just have a feeling like if they put this combo in a IS for example I think it will be calibrated much better since the intent is performance, like more top end power, more responsiveness from engine and trans. But they just don't try that stuff with their bread and butter products.
Probably. The 8AR was considerably smoother in longitudinal form than transverse.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
TMC saving the good powertrain tune for their sportier and higher end cars lol.

Are the GR cars the ones that have one of the highest achievement ratio in Toyota's current lineup?