7 new cars that consumers tend to sell after a year

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/7-new-cars-that-consumers-tend-to-sell-after-a-year-050115.html

Pretty good read and some nice info about trade-ins.

Least likely to be kept
Here are the 7 models that topped the list, turning over anywhere from 2.6 to 4 times faster than the average:

1. Buick Regal – 10.7% of owners sell after 1 year
  2. Chevrolet Sonic – 8.9% of owners sell after 1 year
  3. BMW X1 – 7.8% of owners sell after 1 year
  4. Dodge Charger – 7.7% of owners sell after 1 year
  5. Mercedes-Benz C-Class – 7.4% of owners sell after 1 year
  6. Chevrolet Cruz – 7.2% of owners sell after 1 year
  7. Nissan Frontier – 6.9% of owners sell after 1 year

Och

Admirer
Reactions
  1. Buick Regal – 10.7% of owners sell after 1 year - Because they are old, they probably pass away within the first year of purchase. :D
  2. Chevrolet Sonic – 8.9% of owners sell after 1 year - Probably can't handle the misery of driving that tin can for much longer.
  3. BMW X1 – 7.8% of owners sell after 1 year - That one is a surprise actually, I think its a nice car. I leased one for my daughter last year, she loves it.
  4. Dodge Charger – 7.7% of owners sell after 1 year - a Dodge actually lasts for a year? I thought they fall apart soon as you leave the dealership. :D
  5. Mercedes-Benz C-Class – 7.4% of owners sell after 1 year - Show offs probably can't keep up with payments. :D
  6. Chevrolet Cruz – 7.2% of owners sell after 1 year - Ditto as with the Sonic.
  7. Nissan Frontier – 6.9% of owners sell after 1 year - That one is pretty surprising as well, these little trucks are pretty good for what they are and hold their value pretty well.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I read the link-article. Parts of it seem credible.....not sure about others. As far as that case of a Regal catching fire on the highway, that can happen, on rare occasions, with even reliable vehicles....a neighbor of mine, for example, had his Toyota Tundra truck go up like a torch on him, just barely making it out. Three Tundra fire-cases had happened locally, and his insurance company, after an investigation (and replacing the totalled truck), traced it back to a specific service department and individual (possibly either sabotage or carelessness in his work). Another reason why some people may be trading in Regals early (and the article doesn't address this) is that they simply didn't do their homework when they bought it. Today's Buick shoppers, especially the traditional ones, sometimes hit the showroom thinking that they are getting updated versions of the quiet, soft-riding, floaty cocoons of yesterday. Well, with the Regal, they aren't. Today's Regal is a re-badged and re-engined German Opel Insignia sport-sedan, particularly with the stiff GS model, and it simply doesn't float down the road like yesterday's Regal. So, when Grandpa and Grandma (and/or anyone else who lies a smooth floaty ride) take their new Regal home and find out it doesn't drive like their old Lucerne, LeSabre or Park Avenue, they quickly become disillusioned....and may want to dump it. This is why it is critically important to test-drive a vehicle (with the correct tire pressures) before signing on the dotted line for it.

As for the Dodge Charger, that case doesn't seem so clear-cut, although the 1Gen version had a cheaply-done interior and body-hardware with lots of flimsy plastic (the current 2Gen version is much better done). Consumer Reports mentions that both the Charger and Challenger, despite some reliability problems, have an extremely high customer-satisfaction rating, particularly the big-engined Hemi and SRT versions....that would seemingly work against a lot of trade-ins. (The Charger and Challenger are quite popular with Baby Boomers who grew up with the original versions back in the 60s and early 70s).

Last edited:

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Does this article take into account rental fleets? 5 of those seven are staples in rental fleets that could be turned over in a year due to mileage.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Och said:
Buick Regal – 10.7% of owners sell after 1 year - Because they are old, they probably pass away within the first year of purchase. :D

Stereotype...and no longer a very accurate one at that.

Chevrolet Sonic-8.9% of owners sell after 1 year - Probably can't handle the misery of driving that tin can much longer.

Some truth to that. The Sonic is not the world's most satisfying car to drive.

BMW X1 – 7.8% of owners sell after 1 year - That one is a surprise actually, I think its a nice car. I leased one for my daughter last year, she loves it.

As with the Nissan Frontier (see below), probably the stiff uncomfortable ride.

Dodge Charger – 7.7% of owners sell after 1 year - a Dodge actually lasts for a year? I thought they fall apart soon as you leave the dealership. :D

According to Consumer Reports, though, the Charger and Challenger both have extremely high customer-satisfaction ratings....especially from Baby-Boomers trying to re-live the 1960s.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class – 7.4% of owners sell after 1 year - Show offs probably can't keep up with payments. :D

Snootiness sometimes pays its price. ;)

Chevrolet Cruz – 7.2% of owners sell after 1 year - Ditto as with the Sonic.

The Cruze is far nicer to drive and ride in than the Sonic, but has had some reliability problems.

Nissan Frontier – 6.9% of owners sell after 1 year - That one is pretty surprising as well, these little trucks are pretty good for what they are and hold their value pretty well.

Probably the stiff ride. This is the typical Bucking-Bronco ride common to small pickups. That gets tiring after a while.

Last edited:
Reactions
Does this article take into account rental fleets? 5 of those seven are staples in rental fleets that could be turned over in a year due to mileage.
I think this could be it...with the case of BMW X1s, perhaps a bunch of factory demos that were sold off (corporate fleet perhaps?)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm surprised the Smart-for-Two isn't on the list. Except for it's Park-Anywhere flexibility, driving and riding in that thing under American road conditions borders on Cruel and Unusual punishment. The Scion iQ is also a rather unpleasant vehicle to scoot around in on a daily basis (not as unpleasant as the Smart), but very few new iQs were actually sold....perhaps physically not enough for their data base.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm surprised the Smart-for-Two isn't on the list. Except for it's Park-Anywhere flexibility, driving and riding in that thing under American road conditions borders on Cruel and Unusual punishment. The Scion iQ is also a rather unpleasant vehicle to scoot around in on a daily basis (not as unpleasant as the Smart), but very few new iQs were actually sold....perhaps physically not enough for their data base.

Yes, those cars primarily make sense in only certain European countries. Even then, they're not comfortable at all, and while the initial upfront price is cheap, the maintenance likely isn't cheap, because they use some specialized parts in order to be such tiny vehicles. The parts are not as commonly found as say parts for something like a Civic, Corolla, or Focus. They are really easy to park, but that's the only clear positive I see about them. They're essentially like driving a golf cart.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, those cars primarily make sense in only certain European countries. Even then, they're not comfortable at all, and while the initial upfront price is cheap, the maintenance likely isn't cheap, because they use some specialized parts in order to be such tiny vehicles. The parts are not as commonly found as say parts for something like a Civic, Corolla, or Focus. They are really easy to park, but that's the only clear positive I see about them. They're essentially like driving a golf cart.

And, as far as expenses go, the Smart for Two actually needs premium gas.

Reactions: CIF