6 Mercedes-Benz Electric EQ Vehicles by End of 2021

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Watching a video the other day of a channel I'm subscribed too, and it recapped a news story last week that Mercedes-Benz will have 6 distinct electric EQ vehicles by the end of 2021.

SIX!

And it covers a broad range of vehicle types - essentially enough vehicles for a small car brand - in fact it may even be more than Honda sell here in Scotland!

And this leads me again to that despair of what on Earth Lexus/Toyota are doing? I get that they do things properly and with quality - but I can't help but feel that it's less that and more that they are not focussing truly on BEVs to compete.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
most of german bevs are marketing for now, because they also are "late". but if every car maker is late, maybe they are all just on time, but the consumer anticipates far ahead?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Watching a video the other day of a channel I'm subscribed too, and it recapped a news story last week that Mercedes-Benz will have 6 distinct electric EQ vehicles by the end of 2021.

SIX!

And it covers a broad range of vehicle types - essentially enough vehicles for a small car brand - in fact it may even be more than Honda sell here in Scotland!

And this leads me again to that despair of what on Earth Lexus/Toyota are doing? I get that they do things properly and with quality - but I can't help but feel that it's less that and more that they are not focussing truly on BEVs to compete.

Honestly I don't feel that TMC is late
On paper TMC will be pioneer in SSB and that's exactly where TMC wants to enter the BEV

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Our perception of Toyota being late, compared to the Germans is a mind game and a marketing game. We know the Germans like to trumpet their new releases (in the form of camouflaged test mules and then strategically-leaked news) early -- years in advance, even -- whereas with Toyota, we will be lucky with a camouflaged model a few months before the formal announcement and introduction.

So seeing or hearing no news from Toyota does not mean that we are still a full development cycle (~5 years) or more from the real product; it may only be 18 months.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Trust me these six will be paper launch with extreme limited availability and months of production hell. History repeats itself.

Yeah it sucks that the German brands rely 100% on hype marketing these days. Toyota have their hands tied to the back because they have a reputation to defend. A broken or ignited EV from a German brand is normal and dismissed as cost of technology advancement. A broken or burning EV from Toyota is unacceptable.

Mercedes is NOT ready for the EV switch. Building 100k EV is a completely matter compared to building 1M a year. Their strategic planning is nowhere near VW/Toyota/Tesla in scale. These three are building the supply chain from scratch and have control over every link and partner.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Good points, but it occurs to me as I've mentioned on another thread, that brand perception is a fine thing.

If a 10 year old now sees electric Mercedes and Audi in their car magazines - they grow up wanting an electric Mercedes or Audi.

As a school teacher, I can anecdotally say that children generally consider Tesla as god-tier car brand. YouTube influencers and the 'other-automakers-don't-do-this' interiors have built up an extremely strong bond in their young minds. Today's admirers are tomorrow's customers

mikeavelli

Reactions
I had a discussion recently. They have more coming but internally it’s still an fight. Only the Taycan is selling, the other German brands are struggling with their EV’s.

People for now just mainly want Tesla EV..