5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Will1991

Reactions
I'm not sure about being the best place to share this, but here it goes:

Hybrid sales in Australia keeps going up!

Source: https://www.caradvice.com.au/814672...rpFQk9QqSM2xsfP2ZvH30nwaDauswzoKDPNqa7YHoLO1I

RAV4 Hybrid has more than 6 months waiting list!

Last month hybrids accounted for 47.5 per cent of Corolla sales, 77 per cent of Camry sales and 60 per cent of RAV4 orders, this is around 20% Hybrid share for the country.

And 2020 will certainly keep this trend since they've just introduced a Hybrid CHR and will unveil a Hybrid Yaris as well.

Now imagine when a PHEV version of this models (Corolla, CHR, Camry, RAV4) is available... Considering what they made out of the RAV4 PHEV, maybe they will manage to get some sales from BEV's...

Will1991

Reactions
We've got some more information for the RAV4 PHEV version:

Key Points:
-> Prime's heat pump adapted for RAV4 HVAC system;
-> 230V outlet;
-> "added an enhanced boost converter", perhaps for higher output?;
-> Battery cooled by air conditioning refrigerant

This is shaping up to be quite a well designed system!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This thing is gonna sell like crazy.

A Toyota CUV Plug-in Electric Vehicle with strong specs and an ICE solution to range anxiety? What average family doesn't want that?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
This thing is gonna sell like crazy.

A Toyota CUV Plug-in Electric Vehicle with strong specs and an ICE solution to range anxiety? What average family doesn't want that?
I want it, but in sedan form -- ES Prime (PHEV) preferably or Camry Prime -- for even better fuel economy.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I want it, but in sedan form -- ES Prime (PHEV) preferably or Camry Prime -- for even better fuel economy.

not sure how much space they have there for big battery though.

Also price wont be cheap... Rav4 already isnt cheap (at least in Europe). So yeah, it will sell like crazy, but only if pricing is subsidized.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Also price wont be cheap... Rav4 already isnt cheap (at least in Europe). So yeah, it will sell like crazy, but only if pricing is subsidized.

The RAV4 Prime's battery pack is integrated in the chassis like the UX300e. So any GA-K vehicle can get the same exact capacity.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I hope it ends up being as good as it sounds because it will probably be my next lease vehicle come December 2022.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Which do you think will get priority over the other? The CUV or sedans?
The RAV4 PHEV has already been announced and so it is not a reach to believe that the NX PHEV will come with the model change. Neither the Camry, Avalon or ES PHEVs have been announced... But I can hope, right?

The RAV4 Prime's battery pack is integrated in the chassis like the UX300e. So any GA-K vehicle can get the same exact capacity.
Since I first saw the TNGA Camry, Corolla and UX, and noticed that they were not very space efficient, I have thought that the platforms were designed for both ICE and EV use; adding a large traction battery should not limit passenger space.

Will1991

Reactions
Since I first saw the TNGA Camry, Corolla and UX, and noticed that they were not very space efficient, I have thought that the platforms were designed for both ICE and EV use; adding a large traction battery should not limit passenger space.

It was a statement from Lexus, "no interior space impact on UX300e".

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Someone mentioned that UXe actually has more trunk than UX250h BUT Rav4 Prime has less space in trunk than Hybrid.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
Toyota Norway announced pricing for the PHEV variant, around 7% premium over equivalent Hybrid AWD.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota Norway announced pricing for the PHEV variant, around 7% premium over equivalent Hybrid AWD.

That is pretty cheap - are taxes very different for Prime?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I've been looking on Toyota's website but I wasn't able to find any information regarding taxation...

they mention in that PR it is because of tax advantage.

Performance and capacity

• 306 DIN hp / 225kW *
• 0-100 in 6.2 seconds
• Faster than all of its conventional powertrain rivals
• Class-leading CO2 emissions and fuel economy
• Plug-in has the same 2.5-liter petrol engine as the Hybrid model with a combined power of 225 kW / 306 hp.
• Electric motor delivers 134 kW (182 hp) at the front and 40 kW (54 hp) at the rear
• 1500 kg of trailer weight
* Preliminary figures

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So Mitsubushi Outlander PHEV is most popular PHEV in Norway, it starts at 404,000kr while Rav4 Prime starts at 474,000kr.

There might be large difference in equipment, as Outlander can be as expensive 535,000kr.

Prime is faster, has better engine/motor and 30-35% bigger range too but Outlander might be bigger vehicle (just very old).