5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
My daughter-in-law also went through the CX-5 / RAV4 duality. In her case, she first leased the previous-gen CX-5, then went with a previous-gen RAV4 (made irresistible as an outright purchase by a rare 0% finance offer). I think she prefers the RAV4.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Thanks so much for your overview - I enjoyed reading it! When I bought my Rav4 in 2013, it also came down to CX-5 and Rav4, and I felt the exact same as you: Rav4 interior was much larger and more comfortable for me (I am 6 ft 1 in). I'm happy to hear the new one is even more comfortable!

Now i would love to see your review of new gen vs old, you are far better equipped for it than me.

I really do like new one, it is a good choice in the segment and definitely not just utilitarian vehicle anymore.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

If you want to be "extra". They all look terrible, BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions
I think they look awesome. I love the "mean" 4Runner styling... however... after driving a Limited, first thing I asked is "will there be an option for a 6?"

I love the look, and some of the tech, but there was a lot of road-noise and not much oomph for the $.

These are in the same price-range (exactly the same, my Subaru guy came down almost $5K... both this in Limited and Outback were just under $39K msrp) as an Outback 3.6l that is very well trimmed... drive one, then the other. See what you think. I'd way rather own a Toyota, because it's a Toyota... but... drive them both.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Just arrived in Boston yesterday, and the relative who came to the airport was driving a brand new 2019 RAV4 LE. I am surprised that he got it for $23k with AWD (that sounds too cheap, don't know what kind of deal he had with the dealership). I didn't get to drive the thing but the reviewers are not joking when they said this car is loud. It is very, very loud without even opening up the throttle. I know the A25A is very quiet and butter smooth on the Camry but on the RAV4 it feels like an engine from two decades ago. This is a car that I will not buy; the noise and smoothness is just not tolerable.

To the positives: the relative just couldn't stop talking about how much full-speed adaptive cruise control and lane trace assist turned his daily commute from a misery to something bearable. He also absolutely loves Apple Car Play. I used to not care about infotainment and just use a cellphone holder, but seeing Car Play work makes me convinced that it is a must-have for so many buyers nowadays. I don't like the fact that it requires a USB cable; I would prefer wireless connection plus wireless charging, but I guess it's reserved for some really high end vehicles.

In terms of value the new RAV4 is not even close to the outgoing generation. It packs a lot of features and tech even in the base trim. I won't doubt one bit that it will destroy the competition once it's released in China.

Reactions
It is very, very loud without even opening up the throttle. I know the A25A is very quiet and butter smooth on the Camry but on the RAV4 it feels like an engine from two decades ago. This is a car that I will not buy; the noise and smoothness is just not tolerable.

The wireless charging you were talking about is available in the limited.

For your assessment of the engine and road noise... plus how it rides?

I know this wasn’t from you, but I don’t think some people here believe me when I say I test drove a lot of cars including this one If you see my earlier comments, this is exactly what I said.

If people can get that kind a deal, I’m sure they’ll sell millions, but anywhere near sticker, and there are a lot of other cars people should test drive also, before making a decision. Your experience and mine are identical.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

It is very, very loud without even opening up the throttle. I know the A25A is very quiet and butter smooth on the Camry but on the RAV4 it feels like an engine from two decades ago.

Yup, this is unfortunately true. I test drove an XLE 2WD not too long ago and it was a little too loud for a new and refined model. Toyota better address this quick...not that it matters because they're already everywhere now.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The interior noise has come up in almost every review I've watched or read. In videos, you can hear how loud the cabin is. It's pretty surprising to me, and 4th gen didn't have a reputation for being quiet either.

Do they just need to add more sound deadening and insulation? I'm trying to figure out how this is so different from the Camry when trim-for-trim, Rav4 is generally a more expensive product. Camry is very quiet and well damped.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think it's part of the "SUV/CUVs must look at least somewhat truck-like" thing. The Rav4 doesn't really have that look so they went with the sound.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2019 Wards 10 Best Interiors
https://www.wardsauto.com/2019-ward...s-highlight-2019-wards-10-best-interiors-list
There are many reasons why the Toyota RAV4 is the best-selling utility vehicle in America, and the adventurous interior of the all-new model is certain to boost its popularity among midsize CUV shoppers.

The well-equipped Limited Hybrid version we tested with on-demand all-wheel drive was loaded with premium features, including a leather-trimmed steering wheel, five USB ports, blue ambient light, premium audio with navigation and a soft-touch two-tier instrument panel.

Last year, we celebrated some automakers for interiors that were daring to the point of seeming like far-reaching concepts. We feel this way about this year’s RAV4, with enough funky angles and shapes (such as the trapezoidal door trim and IP vents) to excite a geometry teacher.

And check out the complex shape of the center cupholder – not just a basic rectangle with two pots for a few Big Gulps.

Yet another accent is the mocha-brown trim on the cupholder bezel, a color repeated in other storage cubbies within the soothing, two-tone gray interior. Toyota is taking chances – the kind of chances this competition rewards.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I can't believe that Rav4 was absent for 2 years from JDM. Also I finally figured out what Rav4 means with this video :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just helped (another) friend buy a new Rav4 today, and drove everything from the XSE to to Limited gas and XLE hybrid. Ended up leaving with an XLE Premium.

I won't go on and on, but three things:

1) I can't get over how solid and stiff this thing is. It feels like a totally different type and class of vehicle from the last Rav4. It's sort of hard to describe unless you've driven one, but the vehicle now feels so much more substantial and solid. Moreso than even the NXs I've driven. There is no body flex. Everything is ROCK SOLID - cornering, cruising, quick turns, acceleration, you name it.

2) After plenty of time in the driver's seat, I'm really not seeing the complaints about road noise as valid. If you step on it in dead silence, it's still not "loud."

3) XSE is kick ass with the 220hp hybrid setup... but not a fan of the blue interior stitching. The package itself though is awesome... this one was white with black interior. $36k MSRP but honestly... felt worth it.

60031200_1126500124199774_1041470406105497600_o.jpg

Last edited: