5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Reactions
2019 Toyota RAV4 vs. 2018 Honda CR-V Comparison: Crossover Showdown
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr-v/2018/2019-toyota-rav4-2018-honda-cr-v-comparison-test/
:thumbsdown:

This is literally why I want to burn MT to ashes. They keep switching on their morals to pick a f*cking winner. I couldn't even roll my eyes hard enough when I was reading that trash-heap. Wait let me try... *intensely rolls eyes*. Can they just screw off and scamper down to their little hole?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm surprised by the number of complaints about engine noise and road noise. That was one of the things I hated about my Rav4 - I assumed they'd have fixed it.

For what it's worth, I love how this new Rav4 looks. So well executed inside and out.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Winter has arrived. And the L15B7 in the superior CR-V is under another intimidating test. I hope Honda did fix that engine. :rolleyes:

Oh, there will also likely be more accidents during winter. I hope nobody gets killed because Honda is using worse steel to cut costs.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota platform helps unshackle RAV4
http://www.autonews.com/article/20181125/OEM01/181129897/toyota-platform-helps-unshackle-rav4
Nearly 25 years after the launch of the first Toyota RAV4, it's hard to believe that someone had to invent the segment. But it's true. The car-based compact crossover was once a novelty.

The pioneering Toyota nameplate arrived in Japan and Europe in 1994, beating early sales expectations, and then made its way to the U.S. in 1996, creating what would become a crowded and fiercely competitive segment. Last year, the RAV4 crossed 407,000 U.S. sales, surpassing the Camry and all other nonpickup vehicles in the U.S., and reaping the benefits of an ongoing consumer transition from sedans to crossovers.

And yet, says Yoshikazu Saeki, chief engineer of the 2019 RAV4, something was holding it back: a platform shared with the sedate Corolla that gave it a more carlike ride but also limited its versatility as a utility vehicle.

That limitation is gone, Saeki says, now that RAV4 has migrated to the Toyota New Global Architecture, a more versatile platform that underpins Toyota's next generation of products. That list includes the Corolla sedan and hatchback, yes, but it also has been adapted to accommodate the Prius, Camry and Avalon, along with a range of powertain options.

Saeki said he wanted to bring the latest RAV4 back to the essence of a utility vehicle: a multipurpose option that can handle adverse road conditions and still make its passengers feel safe.

On or off pavement

Aside from Jeep-like design touches and a sturdier look, the new RAV4 has a longer wheelbase along with shorter front and rear overhangs that Toyota says will aid its trail-driving capabilities. Available features include Mud & Sand mode for beach driving and Rock & Dirt mode for trails.

It also boasts a new drivetrain offering: dynamic torque-vectoring all-wheel drive with rear driveline disconnect, which can direct up to half of engine torque to the rear wheels and shift it to the left or right rear wheel to enhance handling on or off pavement, Toyota says.

Toyota showed off the RAV4's off-road bona fides on a bumpy course high above an upscale resort here during a media event this month.

Saeki said TNGA gave engineers more leeway to aim features at a diverse set of customers. "If you have that extra margin," he said, "you can test and challenge all of kinds of things."

Reshaped the industry

"Larger-diameter wheels, higher ground clearance. You look at the product [and think], 'OK, this car can go anywhere.' [Consumers] have to feel that," said Saeki, who joined Toyota in 1987 and spent his initial years as a suspension engineer on the Land Cruiser.

Pricing for the traditional gasoline models starts at $26,545 for the base LE, and tops out at $34,545 for the Limited trim. The hybrid models, rated at 39 mpg for a 10-mile boost over the gasoline variants, begin at $28,745 and reach $36,745 at the top tier. Prices include shipping. The sportiest model in the lineup is the hybrid XSE HV trim, with a 0-to-60 mph time of 7.8 seconds.

Saeki remembers when the small utility market took off around 2002. He said consumers descended en masse on the segment. Toyota's task, he said, was to make sure it could meet each consumer's expectations.

Looking back, Saeki said he's amazed that the RAV4 would kick-start a segment that has reshaped the industry, accelerating the decline of sedans and drawing luxury brands deeper into the utility vehicle market. Saeki said he doesn't know if the crossover craze will keep its momentum, but adaptability will be key in the years ahead.

"The market is a living, breathing thing," he said. "You have to rationally look at it, and the expectations of the consumer, to be flexible in how you can adapt."

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid First Test: More Power, Less Gas
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/rav4-hybrid/2019/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-first-test/
A bigger player in a segment of two

Four trims will be available once the RAV4 Hybrid arrives in March 2019. The LE base model will start at $28,745; the XLE will go for $30,545; and XSE and Limited will start at $34,745 and $36,745, respectively. Our XSE model was equipped with the Advanced Technology package ($640), the Weather Prep Package ($375, heated steering wheel and rain-sensing wipers), the Premium Audio Package with Navi & JBL ($1,620), and a panoramic moonroof ($200), leaving an estimated as-tested price of $38,024 (our tester also had a few accessories, the prices of which were not yet available). Depending on the trim, the premium for going hybrid may not be as much as you think, but like we said before, this powertrain is worth it. Plus, over time, you'll save more money when you hit the gas station.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i know nobody likes to hear me complaining about prices, but loaded Rav4 Hybrid here in my neck of the woods is almost $60k.
Surcharge for AWD is $4.5k.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is it just me, or does the road noise seem to be very audible in most of the video reviews? Yes, many of them mention that, but it definitely seems evident just from watching.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Excellent review.

I'm starting to see more and more of these on the road.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Excellent review.

I'm starting to see more and more of these on the road.

Well, it's not in first place for American-market SUV sales for nothing. And the upcoming hybrid version will only add to their already large numbers.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Well, it's not in first place for American-market SUV sales for nothing. And the upcoming hybrid version will only add to their already large numbers.

Here in southern California I see tons of the new Rav4's and it looks good and when the hybrid version comes there will even be more on the roads of SoCal...

Motor

Expert
Reactions

I know. I bought the previous generation. My local Toyota dealers have waiting lists.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota RAV4 Drivers Earn Trail Cred’ Thanks to New TRD Off-Road Treatment
https://pressroom.toyota.com/releas...cred+thanks+to+new+trd+off+road+treatment.htm
  • 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road Suspension Inspired by Rally RAV4 Race Team
  • Standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail All-Terrain Tires
  • TRD 18-inch Flow-Formed Matte Black Aluminum Wheels
  • Exclusive TRD Exterior and Interior Features
  • Standard Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0)
The all-new, fifth-generation Toyota RAV4, which launched just two months ago, is already looking ahead with the unveiling of the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road model at the Chicago Auto Show. Arriving in the fall, the newest addition to the RAV4 family will be outfitted with a full array of special Toyota Racing Development engineering and design features for greater trail-driving capability and standout style.

The vehicle that started the segment 22 years ago is now the best-selling non-pickup truck in the U.S. With the latest generation, it is bringing even more sport and more utility. For 2020, the new TRD Off-Road is designed for customers who make the great outdoors a second home.

For the first time, the RAV4 will join a formidable team of Toyota TRD Off-Road SUVs and pickups inspired by the brand’s legendary off-road and desert racers. Beneath the new-generation RAV4’s bolder design, the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA-K) platform provides an ideal base for TRD’s renowned go-anywhere capability and style. Building on the 8.6-inch ground clearance and design features of the RAV4 Adventure grade, the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road goes above and beyond with suspension, wheels and tires engineered specifically for trail driving.

The Dynamic Force 2.5-liter, 203-horsepower four-cylinder engine, paired with an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission, provides get-up-and-go-anywhere performance and exemplary fuel efficiency. The driver can choose from Sport, Normal and Eco modes. To take more equipment along, such as personal watercraft, dirt bikes or a small enclosed trailer, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road is rated to tow up to 3,500 pounds.

Standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive can direct up to 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, as well as distribute torque to the left or right rear wheel to enhance handling on or off pavement. When AWD isn’t needed, such as on long highway stretches, Rear Driveline Disconnect optimizes fuel economy.

Using standard Multi-Terrain Select, the driver can maximize traction by matching the drive mode to the conditions -- Mud & Sand mode for beach driving, or Rock & Dirt mode for trails, and Snow for wintery conditions, for example. The Multi-Information Display (MID) shows torque allocation and slip control data. The new-generation RAV4’s short front and rear overhangs enhance trail-driving capability. In addition, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road will include Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), Trailer Sway Control (TSC), and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) for optimal on-road and off-road performance and safety.

Thoroughly TRD

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road takes cues from Toyota’s rich off-road racing history. It shares high-rise roof rails, large over-fenders, and aggressive bumper, grille designs and fog light surrounds with the RAV4 Adventure grade, but with a uniquely TRD personality.

Inspired by TRD’s successful learnings with Ryan Millen’s Rally RAV4, TRD Off-Road suspension is engineered to enhance body control and small-bump isolation to help smooth out trails and rough city streets. Unique red coil springs are tuned for an off-road focus. The twin-tube shocks are re-valved and feature new internal rebound springs to improve rebound control. New bump stops maximize compression direction wheel travel and help improve body control over large bumps and dips.

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road exclusively rolls on lighter and more rigid flow-formed 18x7-inch matte black TRD alloy wheels with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail all-terrain tires. These all-terrain tires mean business, with a unique tread pattern and compound developed to TRD technical requirements. A rugged square shoulder design helps protect against punctures, on or off road, and the tires are Severe Snow Rated with open shoulder grooving to shed debris, mud and snow.

Available in an exclusive two-tone Magnetic Gray Metallic w/Ice Edge Roof combination, the RAV4 TRD Off-Road is accented by dark gray front and rear lower fascias, and front LED fog lights are standard. TRD Off-Road is also available in Midnight Black or Lunar Rock, both of which are available with optional Ice Edge Roof. Other available colors include Ruby Flare Pearl and Super White.

Inside, striking red stitching and red trim accent the cabin. Seat surfaces are covered in comfortable SofTex, which is lighter than leather yet highly durable, and the front seats have “TRD” stitched into the headrests. Exclusive TRD all-weather floor mats and rear cargo mat capture the mud, sand and water dragged in from the outside and easily shake out for cleanup.

Next-Generation Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0)

Toyota Safety Sense (TSS 2.0), which is already standard on all 2019 RAV4 models, includes a long roster of active-safety technologies and capabilities:
  • Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)
  • Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
  • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
  • Automatic High Beam (AHB)
  • Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)
  • Road Sign Assist (RSA)

Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) and Rear Cross Traffic Braking (RCTB) system will also be standard on the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road.

1316d391-2020-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-3.jpg

cf1a1aef-2020-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-4.jpg

a712ab59-2020-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-7.jpg

040419f8-2020-toyota-rav4-trd-off-road-8.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I like the red accents with the TRD package. It's more restrained than what you'd see for a Lexus F-Sport, but still visually different from the base model.