5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota_FTAC_Concept_Teaser_2AB45D79C66E24461F60006E9AE3B1DAC3B8F00E.jpg

Ahead of this year's L.A. Auto Show, Toyota has released a teaser image and a name for its latest concept. It's called the FT-AC, which stands for "Future Toyota Adventure Concept." That name alone implies something rugged and off-road-ready, and what we can tell from the image confirms it.

We can see that the truck has big, chunky plastic fender flares and thick roof rails. At the top of the windshield are auxiliary off-road lights that complement the big LED fog lights in the bumper. The bits of sheetmetal we can see also look angled with simple lines to emphasize toughness.

We can't tell much else from the teaser, but we think that this concept is also an indication that Toyota is very interested in launching a new off-roader of some sort. This comes from the fact that we already saw another chunky, dirt-road friendly Toyota concept with the FT designation at the New York show, in the form of the FT-4X.

It will be interesting to see what size this FT-AC is. If it's similarly sized to the compact FT-4X, it could be that Toyota is figuring out what styling and features people want most for a future crossover or SUV. We'll know more about this new concept when it is fully revealed on Nov. 30.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/16/toyota-teases-new-ft-ac-off-road-concept/

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It's so hard to tell what this is. Even playing around with the image, most of the details are still blacked out. From the small front end details and fender design, this is likely to be body-on-frame. Besides that I can't really tell what future model (if any) this previews. Could be a 4Runner preview, or a Tundra preview, or a preview of the next Sequoia.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm hearing next generation Rav4 concept, which would make sense. Next gen Rav4 is due in about 12 months.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm hearing next generation Rav4 concept, which would make sense. Next gen Rav4 is due in about 12 months.

This looks too wide and too large to preview the next Rav4, I could be wrong though. Also when playing with the image, you can closely see the character lines that surround a very large grill, not to mention a pronounced front bumper. If this actually previews the next-gen Rav4, I'm going to be extremely angry.

Enough small crossovers Toyota. Time to deliver next-generation body-on-frame vehicles that are somewhat attainable (this excludes the Land Cruiser and LX). Time to preview the next Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I am not certain that they would preview a new Tundra this early. Attempts to pacify concerns over their future, doesn't mean they will be redesigned next year.

It was recently confirmed by Toyota for once, that the Tundra is indeed riding on a TNGA architecture. The 18MY changes will last at least 24 months, likely 3 years with the redesign Job 1 being August 2020.

A heavy 4Runner update only makes sense right now, as a full redesign for MY19 would mean no TNGA. MY2020 conflicts with the Land Cruiser. A heavy update means, at least a 3 year run through 2021.

I can't see Toyota debuting TNGA-F via the 4Runner next year, as by now even some mules or prototypes would be seen.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Toyota FT-AC Concept Is A Macho Compact SUV For Adventurers

Toyota has revealed the Future Toyota Adventure Concept (FT-AC) at the LA Auto Show, a design study aiming at people looking for a proper rugged crossover.

Described as a design study for now, the new Toyota FT-AC is imagined as a gasoline-powered SUV with an advanced torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system, and the company adding that it could switch to a next-generation hybrid system.

“FT-AC is perfect for those outdoor enthusiasts who want to dial up the adventure on their weekend getaways,” said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division. “No matter the roads, the activities, or the people, FT-AC sparks authentic fun and conversation.”

The new concept comes with chunky tires, wide fender extensions and a generous ground clearance, and if that’s not enough, a big roof rack with LED lights on it along with twin recovery hooks and skidplates both front and rear are there to showcase the off-road character of Toyota’s latest creation.

The FT-AC’s all-wheel drive system is controlled via variable terrain-response settings and by locking the torque split for maximum grip. There’s also an integrated bike rack at the rear which can be securely hidden in “only a few seconds” according to Toyota.

Toyota has been showcasing compact crossover concepts based on their latest global T-NGA platform to measure the crowd’s response; last April it revealed the FT-4X concept at the NY Auto Show while last October in Tokyo it showed the TJ Cruiser.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/new-toyota-ft-ac-concept-is-macho-sub.html

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_01.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_02.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_03.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_04.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_05.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_06.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_07.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_08.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_09.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_10.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_12.jpg

Toyota_FTAC_Concept_14.jpg

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Definitely forbearer for the next generation Rav4. Depending on how the production Rav4 looks, this could make me want another one - doh :scream:

Reactions: CIF

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Perhaps the most important tidbit to me, considering that Toyota's Dynamic Torque Control AWD is in need of an update:

"The FT-AC’s all-wheel drive system is controlled via variable terrain-response settings and by locking the torque split for maximum grip. There’s also an integrated bike rack at the rear which can be securely hidden in “only a few seconds” according to Toyota."

Reactions: CIF

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Press Release

Future Toyota Adventure Concept (FT-AC) Takes Outdoor Fun to New Levels at 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show

FT-AC Has All the Ingredients for Your Next Adventure
November 30, 2017

LOS ANGELES (Nov. 30, 2017) – Long live new adventures! With the Future Toyota Adventure Concept, or FT-AC, comes the ideal versatility for living an active lifestyle, allowing deeper exploration to take life’s journeys even further. FT-AC is a catalyst – it’s both the invitation and the medium for breaking day-to-day routines and embracing the unexpected.

It’s no coincidence then that FT-AC makes its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show, in a city where much of the population escapes to the hills, deserts, or beaches for their much-needed weekend recharges after a long week of work.

“FT-AC is perfect for those outdoor enthusiasts who want to dial up the adventure on their weekend getaways,” said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division. “No matter the roads, the activities, or the people, FT-AC sparks authentic fun and conversation.”

Representing the next level in Toyota’s adventure-loving lineup of concept vehicles, FT-AC provides the right instrument for a wide mix of excursions, be they on paved roads or not.

Fun on the Journey

FT-AC reminds adventurers of all skill levels how remarkable the trip – not just the destination – can be. Going for a paddle on the river. Climbing a favorite rock face. Hitting a trail on a mountain bike. FT-AC is experience-centric. It compels. Any wheel time in FT-AC brings genuine facetime with the friends aboard.

It puts versatility at the forefront of its ethos and, in doing so, invites passengers to personalize - and accentuate - each trip. Acknowledging that adventures vary in scope and scale, FT-AC’s innate versatility is a strength that caters to various lifestyles, preferences, and even generations.

One-of-a-Kind Adventure

At first glance, it is evident that FT-AC’s bold and daring design reflects the confident spirit of Toyota’s existing SUVs and trucks.

The pronounced, wide, black, front grille is flanked with bright LED headlights. Fog lights brighten the road ahead during foul weather or poor conditions and can even be taken out from their pods and used as portable lights. The fog lights can be attached to a mountain bike for occasional night rides. Below, FT-AC has twin hooks for vehicle recovery. Skid plates help protect the short front and rear overhangs, so rocks, ruts, and just about anything else will have trouble slowing down the rig.

FT-AC was designed around a long wheelbase and wide track to help emphasize its powerful stance. Extra wide fender flares provide body shielding and look as if they float above the 20-inch wheels and beefier all-terrain tires, both of which help accentuate its commanding look. Its impressive footwear and generous ground clearance provide drivers with more options as to where FT-AC can go and play.

The safari-style cargo roof rack system can haul all types of adventure gear. LED marker lights at its front corners can provide ambient lighting around the vehicle, brighten the trail ahead or, if desired, act as a flash for the side mirrors’ embedded cameras.

The infrared cameras on the side mirrors can record trail runs and, like the fog lights, can be removed and mounted off-vehicle so that no fun goes undocumented. An integrated Wi-Fi hotspot automatically uploads footage to cloud-based storage where real-time editing and posting can be accessed via mobile device. The Wi-Fi connectivity even gives adventure-goers the ability to livestream the fun to fans and followers.

The roof rack’s rear-facing LED lights also aid nighttime visibility and can be controlled via mobile device as well. Also at the rear is an innovative integrated bike rack that retracts, making for a highly useful feature that can be securely hidden in only a few seconds. Lastly, drivers and passengers can utilize FT-AC’s geolocation capabilities for directions back to basecamp.

FT-AC’s contrasting colors combine Prospect Green with Fortress Gray accents to highlight its go-anywhere brashness.

Envisioned Capabilities

Although currently a design experiment, FT-AC has been imagined as a thoroughly capable gasoline-powered vehicle with an advanced torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system. This enables power to be routed, as needed, for excellent controllability and maximum traction. Variable terrain-response settings and 4-wheel lock functionality build on its capability by managing traction control and throttle response to maximize grip at each wheel for a more dynamic driving experience.

And who says a hybrid vehicle can only play on pavement? FT-AC could offer a next-generation hybrid powertrain that blends fuel efficiency with rugged all-wheel-drive grunt, giving drivers better power, responsiveness, and impressive fuel economy – all without compromise.

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota....+outdoor+fun+new+levels+2017+la+auto+show.htm

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Toyota fools me yet again. You were right Gecko, this is just an extreme "Rav4 preview" concept. The teaser image hinted at the possibility of this being body-on-frame, but turned out to be false. Nice to see a hint of a possible new AWD system.

I give up. I won't bother getting excited about any Toyota future news or concepts until I see with my own eyes in showrooms, redesigned Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner models. Also I'll only get excited if they are true redesigns on TNGA-F (which they should be) and not the false "redesign" of the 2016 Tacoma.

At this rate, if Toyota somehow delayed the next-gen Tundra or Sequoia until 2023 or 2024, that would not surprise me. Even for historical Toyota standards, Toyota is moving extremely slowly with certain models.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota fools me yet again. You were right Gecko, this is just an extreme "Rav4 preview" concept. The teaser image hinted at the possibility of this being body-on-frame, but turned out to be false. Nice to see a hint of a possible new AWD system.

I give up. I won't bother getting excited about any Toyota future news or concepts until I see with my own eyes in showrooms, redesigned Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner models. Also I'll only get excited if they are true redesigns on TNGA-F (which they should be) and not the false "redesign" of the 2016 Tacoma.

At this rate, if Toyota somehow delayed the next-gen Tundra or Sequoia until 2023 or 2024, that would not surprise me. Even for historical Toyota standards, Toyota is moving extremely slowly with certain models.

The problem is, those decade old BOF Toyotas just refuse to die. They are selling too well to be redesigned.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The problem is, those decade old BOF Toyotas just refuse to die. They are selling too well to be redesigned.

I don't really get your logic here. Toyota traditionally has quicker product cycles for its biggest sellers. The bread and butter products like Camry, Corolla always get timely redesigns.

Traditionally, Toyota is slower to redesign vehicles that are lower sellers. The Tundra and Tacoma sell fairly well in North America. The Land Cruiser USA sales are small, but international sales are huge. The 4Runner has been selling very well last few years. Same thing with the Hilux, which we don't get in North America. The Toyota Sequoia, since the 2nd generation redesign, has been a fairly slow seller, and even in the current hot market for SUVs and crossovers, Sequoia sales haven't picked up that much.

Now during the last few years the Tundra, Tacoma, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner have all received moderate-to-significant refreshes. The Sequoia since the 2008 redesign, was left virtually untouched until the current 2018 refresh occurred, which is a very, very small refresh.

I personally know plenty of people that refuse to buy the current 2nd gen Sequoia because of the mediocre exterior styling and low quality interior. Now this is just myself speaking personally; I am sure there are many more people out there other than those that I know who also refuse to buy the current Sequoia for similar reasons. It becomes a chicken and egg or catch 22 situation. The Tundra received a much-needed significant refresh for 2014, but the Sequoia did not even though they are significantly similar products. Toyota cannot reasonably blame low sales because of lack of demand for the product. Toyota must understand they are losing a significant chunk of sales for the Sequoia due to many consumers being unsatisfied with the current exterior and interior.

The irony is that the 1st gen Sequoia had much stronger sales throughout its life cycle than the 2nd gen Sequoia.

Now for consumers that want a large Toyota body-on-frame SUV in North America, this becomes a problem. For this segment of buyers, the 4Runner is too small, the Tundra is not a suitable product and neither is the Tacoma, and the Land Cruiser most people cannot afford. Furthermore, the Land Cruiser is not available in Canada. So for consumers that want a reasonably-priced large BOF Toyota SUV, the only option is the Sequoia. Except of course, a big chunk of these buyers are put off by the current Sequoia's exterior and interior.

Many North American dealers for years and years have been pleading with Toyota for a new Sequoia. If dealers are asking Toyota for it, that is further proof that many potential consumers and buyers are unsatisfied with what the current Sequoia offers. Yes it's otherwise a comfortable, solid, reliable product. That's not enough though when the current interior and exterior puts off quite a few consumers.

Given the sales of the noted products here, Toyota's body-on-frame products are typically on long product cycles, for reasons of quality, durability, and toughness (largely regardless of sales in this case). The Land Cruiser being the best example, as one of Toyota's top models in terms of durability and quality. Likewise with the Tundra and Sequoia, and to a lesser extent the 4Runner and Tacoma. All strong sellers with the exception of the Sequoia, but all on long product cycles. All the mentioned products at least have received some attention over the years with decent refreshes while the Sequoia has not.

In terms of the largest overall market for large SUVs, it is North America (USA mostly). I am excluding specific Land Cruiser markets where that product sells in big numbers. The American automakers sell many, many large SUVs in North America. Yet Toyota has been ignoring the Sequoia for many years now. The 2018 refresh is so small as to be almost inconsequential. Speaking of 2018, the Tundra also received a very minor refresh for 2018 as well. That is on top of the significant refresh the Tundra got in 2014. Tundra trims have also expanded over the years to include the TRD Pro model. No such trim expansions have occurred for the Sequoia.

By ignoring the Sequoia for whatever reasons, Toyota is losing a lot of potential profit and some consumer goodwill here.

Also in a broader sense the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Tundra, and Tacoma are all due for full redesigns as well.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Next Toyota RAV4 Spied For First Time, Looks Brawny

The new RAV4 appears to take on a more rugged, off-road-ready appearance.

The next-generation Toyota RAV4 has been caught on the road by spy photographers for the very first time. The company appears to have a major design overhaul in preparation for its incredibly popular crossover.

The cladding on this RAV4 conceals the precise design details, but just the SUV's silhouette makes it clear that the vehicle looks completely different from the current one. Rather than the existing model's relatively sleek, smooth appearance, this one has a far more chiseled aesthetic. A tall front end with a large grille with a prominent surround is very evident up front, and holes in the body covering reveal that the headlights wrap around the nose and run quite a far distance up the fenders.

he RAV4 has quite a flat roof that leads back to steeply raked rear glass. Holes in the body cladding suggest the vehicle has horizontally set taillights, too.
Elements of this styling like the grille surround, headlights, roof, and hatchback shape seem to share rough similarities with the FT-AC concept at the Los Angeles Auto Show. If the RAV4 adapts these design details without much change, then the new model could be quite a rugged looking SUV.

The RAV4 will likely move to Toyota's TGNA platform. The modular underpinning is already underneath models like the Camry, C-HR, and Prius. Powertrain options remain a complete mystery at this point, but expect the hybrid option to carry forward to the new generation.

Toyota has a lot running on the RAV4's continued success. Despite its age, the existing model moved 407,594 units in 2017, which beat 352,154 deliveries in 2016 by 15.7 percent. This made the crossover the bestselling vehicle in Toyota's product range in the United States last year.

The existing RAV4 debuted at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show. The refreshed model arrived at the 2015 New York Auto Show, and Toyota released the first photos of the hybrid model at that time, too.

While its age makes the RAV4 ready for a replacement, the sales numbers don't really force Toyota to come out with a new one yet. The company could wait to premiere the new one until very late this year, if not in 2019.

https://www.motor1.com/news/228387/next-toyota-rav4-spy-photos/

next-gen-toyota-rav4-spy-shots.jpg