5th Generation Toyota Rav4 Master Thread (New TRD Off Road Model Added)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gecko, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    [​IMG]

Ahead of this year's L.A. Auto Show, Toyota has released a teaser image and a name for its latest concept. It's called the FT-AC, which stands for "Future Toyota Adventure Concept." That name alone implies something rugged and off-road-ready, and what we can tell from the image confirms it.

We can see that the truck has big, chunky plastic fender flares and thick roof rails. At the top of the windshield are auxiliary off-road lights that complement the big LED fog lights in the bumper. The bits of sheetmetal we can see also look angled with simple lines to emphasize toughness.

We can't tell much else from the teaser, but we think that this concept is also an indication that Toyota is very interested in launching a new off-roader of some sort. This comes from the fact that we already saw another chunky, dirt-road friendly Toyota concept with the FT designation at the New York show, in the form of the FT-4X.

It will be interesting to see what size this FT-AC is. If it's similarly sized to the compact FT-4X, it could be that Toyota is figuring out what styling and features people want most for a future crossover or SUV. We'll know more about this new concept when it is fully revealed on Nov. 30.

Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/16/toyota-teases-new-ft-ac-off-road-concept/

CIF and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  2. Gecko
    4Runner? Tundra?

Trexus likes this.
  3. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    It's so hard to tell what this is. Even playing around with the image, most of the details are still blacked out. From the small front end details and fender design, this is likely to be body-on-frame. Besides that I can't really tell what future model (if any) this previews. Could be a 4Runner preview, or a Tundra preview, or a preview of the next Sequoia.

4. Gecko
    I'm hearing next generation Rav4 concept, which would make sense. Next gen Rav4 is due in about 12 months.

5. Tragic Bronson
    whatever it is, it needs to be in the showrooms instead of teasing buyers

6. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    This looks too wide and too large to preview the next Rav4, I could be wrong though. Also when playing with the image, you can closely see the character lines that surround a very large grill, not to mention a pronounced front bumper. If this actually previews the next-gen Rav4, I'm going to be extremely angry.

Enough small crossovers Toyota. Time to deliver next-generation body-on-frame vehicles that are somewhat attainable (this excludes the Land Cruiser and LX). Time to preview the next Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  7. Carmaker1
    I am not certain that they would preview a new Tundra this early. Attempts to pacify concerns over their future, doesn't mean they will be redesigned next year.

It was recently confirmed by Toyota for once, that the Tundra is indeed riding on a TNGA architecture. The 18MY changes will last at least 24 months, likely 3 years with the redesign Job 1 being August 2020.

A heavy 4Runner update only makes sense right now, as a full redesign for MY19 would mean no TNGA. MY2020 conflicts with the Land Cruiser. A heavy update means, at least a 3 year run through 2021.

I can't see Toyota debuting TNGA-F via the 4Runner next year, as by now even some mules or prototypes would be seen.

Gecko and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  8. Trexus
    Trexus Founding Member
    Or maybe Toyota will bring the HiLux to the U.S.? Also bring the Fortuner as well.

Hilux - Compact
    Tacoma - Mid level
    Tundra - Full size

9. supra93

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. Gecko
    Definitely forbearer for the next generation Rav4. Depending on how the production Rav4 looks, this could make me want another one - doh :scream:

CIF likes this.
  11. Gecko
    Perhaps the most important tidbit to me, considering that Toyota's Dynamic Torque Control AWD is in need of an update:

"The FT-AC’s all-wheel drive system is controlled via variable terrain-response settings and by locking the torque split for maximum grip. There’s also an integrated bike rack at the rear which can be securely hidden in “only a few seconds” according to Toyota."

CIF likes this.
  12. supra93
    http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota....+outdoor+fun+new+levels+2017+la+auto+show.htm

13. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    Toyota fools me yet again. You were right Gecko, this is just an extreme "Rav4 preview" concept. The teaser image hinted at the possibility of this being body-on-frame, but turned out to be false. Nice to see a hint of a possible new AWD system.

I give up. I won't bother getting excited about any Toyota future news or concepts until I see with my own eyes in showrooms, redesigned Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner models. Also I'll only get excited if they are true redesigns on TNGA-F (which they should be) and not the false "redesign" of the 2016 Tacoma.

At this rate, if Toyota somehow delayed the next-gen Tundra or Sequoia until 2023 or 2024, that would not surprise me. Even for historical Toyota standards, Toyota is moving extremely slowly with certain models.

Levi and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  14. Tragic Bronson
  15. ssun30
    The problem is, those decade old BOF Toyotas just refuse to die. They are selling too well to be redesigned.

16. CIF
    CIF Premium Member
    I don't really get your logic here. Toyota traditionally has quicker product cycles for its biggest sellers. The bread and butter products like Camry, Corolla always get timely redesigns.

Traditionally, Toyota is slower to redesign vehicles that are lower sellers. The Tundra and Tacoma sell fairly well in North America. The Land Cruiser USA sales are small, but international sales are huge. The 4Runner has been selling very well last few years. Same thing with the Hilux, which we don't get in North America. The Toyota Sequoia, since the 2nd generation redesign, has been a fairly slow seller, and even in the current hot market for SUVs and crossovers, Sequoia sales haven't picked up that much.

Now during the last few years the Tundra, Tacoma, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner have all received moderate-to-significant refreshes. The Sequoia since the 2008 redesign, was left virtually untouched until the current 2018 refresh occurred, which is a very, very small refresh.

I personally know plenty of people that refuse to buy the current 2nd gen Sequoia because of the mediocre exterior styling and low quality interior. Now this is just myself speaking personally; I am sure there are many more people out there other than those that I know who also refuse to buy the current Sequoia for similar reasons. It becomes a chicken and egg or catch 22 situation. The Tundra received a much-needed significant refresh for 2014, but the Sequoia did not even though they are significantly similar products. Toyota cannot reasonably blame low sales because of lack of demand for the product. Toyota must understand they are losing a significant chunk of sales for the Sequoia due to many consumers being unsatisfied with the current exterior and interior.

The irony is that the 1st gen Sequoia had much stronger sales throughout its life cycle than the 2nd gen Sequoia.

Now for consumers that want a large Toyota body-on-frame SUV in North America, this becomes a problem. For this segment of buyers, the 4Runner is too small, the Tundra is not a suitable product and neither is the Tacoma, and the Land Cruiser most people cannot afford. Furthermore, the Land Cruiser is not available in Canada. So for consumers that want a reasonably-priced large BOF Toyota SUV, the only option is the Sequoia. Except of course, a big chunk of these buyers are put off by the current Sequoia's exterior and interior.

Many North American dealers for years and years have been pleading with Toyota for a new Sequoia. If dealers are asking Toyota for it, that is further proof that many potential consumers and buyers are unsatisfied with what the current Sequoia offers. Yes it's otherwise a comfortable, solid, reliable product. That's not enough though when the current interior and exterior puts off quite a few consumers.

Given the sales of the noted products here, Toyota's body-on-frame products are typically on long product cycles, for reasons of quality, durability, and toughness (largely regardless of sales in this case). The Land Cruiser being the best example, as one of Toyota's top models in terms of durability and quality. Likewise with the Tundra and Sequoia, and to a lesser extent the 4Runner and Tacoma. All strong sellers with the exception of the Sequoia, but all on long product cycles. All the mentioned products at least have received some attention over the years with decent refreshes while the Sequoia has not.

In terms of the largest overall market for large SUVs, it is North America (USA mostly). I am excluding specific Land Cruiser markets where that product sells in big numbers. The American automakers sell many, many large SUVs in North America. Yet Toyota has been ignoring the Sequoia for many years now. The 2018 refresh is so small as to be almost inconsequential. Speaking of 2018, the Tundra also received a very minor refresh for 2018 as well. That is on top of the significant refresh the Tundra got in 2014. Tundra trims have also expanded over the years to include the TRD Pro model. No such trim expansions have occurred for the Sequoia.

By ignoring the Sequoia for whatever reasons, Toyota is losing a lot of potential profit and some consumer goodwill here.

Also in a broader sense the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Tundra, and Tacoma are all due for full redesigns as well.

17. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    Don't forget the top-end fancy 1794 Edition of the Tundra. No Sequoia equivalent for that one, either.

Carmaker1 and CIF like this.
  18. supra93
    https://www.motor1.com/news/228387/next-toyota-rav4-spy-photos/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carmaker1, CIF and Gecko like this.
  19. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    I was going to see seemed big. I wonder if the 7 seat version is coming back?

CIF and Trexus like this.
  20. Gecko
    Definitely looks a lot like the FT-AC!

Carmaker1, CIF and supra93 like this.