5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
LS was always different, advanced, etc... buyers obviously moved to something else that is different, advanced, and maybe it is BEVs and maybe that is why Lexus is being moved to BEV.

NXracer

Follower
Reactions
LS buyers seem to want more of the same (1-3rd gen). 4th gen is hard to pint point but had a rapid (some crazy pioneering features like self park) start but then cooled down to economics I guess. The 5th gen was a radical departure with a design that designed to be coupe like but luxo barge. LS buyers and spectators seemed to complain at anything and everything about this generation and have shifted to the stalwart S class at least by the sales figures.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
LS buyers seem to want more of the same (1-3rd gen). 4th gen is hard to pint point but had a rapid (some crazy pioneering features like self park) start but then cooled down to economics I guess. The 5th gen was a radical departure with a design that designed to be coupe like but luxo barge. LS buyers and spectators seemed to complain at anything and everything about this generation and have shifted to the stalwart S class at least by the sales figures.

The LS has traditionally rode like a Lincoln town car and for this 5th gen they tuned it to be more of German cars' planted road feel. All the sudden ppl went against it because it rode nothing like it did before so they moved on to the Germans, yet they did not mind riding in German cars? You guys see where I'm going?

NXracer

Follower
Reactions
The LS has traditionally rode like a Lincoln town car and for this 5th gen they tuned it to be more of German cars' planted road feel. All the sudden ppl went against it because it rode nothing like it did before so they moved on to the Germans, yet they did not mind riding in German cars? You guys see where I'm going?
If your gonna buy a replica why not just buy the original and get a S class?

Lexus did this with the infotainment system as well when they launched remote touch, trying to replicate the success of Idrive and ditch their innovative touchscreen solution only for that to be panned by reviewers (they dont matter but they are loud) and customers alike.

And now everyone is moving rapidly back to touchscreens and here Lexus is trying to play catchup finally with the new generation of infotainment when they could of easily been the leader on that tech early on.

For some reason Lexus pioneers some insane technology (self park) and then lets it sit by the wayside or has a winning formula and decides nope this time we're flippping the script (5th LS)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
For some reason Lexus pioneers some insane technology (self park) and then lets it sit by the wayside or has a winning formula and decides nope this time we're flippping the script (5th LS)
I get the rationale for flipping the script. The LS previously was a Great Value(tm) S-Class, for all intents and purposes. That limits your sales because you're not offering anything really unique. People who can afford the original will still buy the original, you're getting customers who can't or don't want to pay Mercedes prices. That was a workable business model in the 90s and early 2000s, but with the shift of first-owner luxury cars to being almost exclusively leased more people could afford to get the Benz. That shrank the market for knockoffs, which is why I started hearing from dealers at the 4LS launch that they were losing sales.

The problem with flipping the script is that the market for full-size luxury sedans only wants the S-Class formula (which used to be the Cadillac formula back in the 50s and 60s). BMW's struggled with 7 Series sales forever, because a full-size sedan that doesn't steer like a boat apparently scares that audience. The 5LS has the same problem, compounded by worse interior room and the loss of prestige by Lexus starting around when the Escalade came out. Plus the general shift away from sedans. Lexus seems to be betting that better tech, starting with Teammate in the 2022s, will help, but I think the ceiling is definitely limited for all the reasons I've already mentioned.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The original 4LS was the last time the LS was the decisively superior full size sedan of its time. During the first two years nothing in the segment matched its technological sophistication. But it didn't matter because of the financial crisis. Then Mercedes struck back with the W221 refresh. The extremely dominant W222 sealed the fate for all competition.

It's hard to say how Lexus could have maintained the competitiveness of LS. Would it help if instead of flipping they went further with the old formula and basically made a Lexus Century?

Smychavo

Fan
Reactions
I wonder if starting out clean-sheet in electrification will help Lexus in reorienting their goals for the LS. Make it a more compelling offer over Lucid, Model S or EQS.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The flagship EV market is very hard to crack especially for a brand like Lexus. This segment is all about numbers and tech. Selling reliability simply doesn't work here. You can't just build something with 400kW and 500km range and count on owners keeping the car for 15 years for success.

Reactions
The flagship EV market is very hard to crack especially for a brand like Lexus. This segment is all about numbers and tech. Selling reliability simply doesn't work here. You can't just build something with 400kW and 500km range and count on owners keeping the car for 15 years for success.

Lexus certainly could crack the market for a luxury flagship EV, if they truly choose to. Unfortunately, the corporate bean counters at Toyota/Lexus won't allow it to happen.

Last edited:

Deusex

Fan
Reactions
I think you guys have it all wrong for low LS sales. It is a fragile look of the car. What is the first thing you see when you look at a car, styling. Then you look at the specs. The car not only should be build like a tank but it has to show it. This gen LS doesnt.

Reactions
I think you guys have it all wrong for low LS sales. It is a fragile look of the car. What is the first thing you see when you look at a car, styling. Then you look at the specs. The car not only should be build like a tank but it has to show it. This gen LS doesnt.

I see what you mean. However I really like how elegant and slippery this new LS looks though.