mikeavelli

Reactions
So Escalade competitor is interesting since its based on TGNA-K

Their were two possible TXs after their ev reveal. The First image is what I believe to be the TX. The latter one idk what its suppose to be, but I assume design inspiration.

The TX being targeted towards the escalade would be hard, since not a BOF 3row which folks in the class want "feeling of invincibility" and "above the rest in view"
Lexus TX

Lexus Electrified SUV

Without going further the name TX is appropriate lol

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think its very clear that the LX class vehicles are not a global product. They are probably the furthest from it and purpose built for a set region, and set demographic. Hence why the media reviews and some conquest buyers in the class are dismissive of what the LX is as they don't understand it.

It is it’s just America isn’t the lead market. If we look back to the LX 450 it was literally a rebadge on the LC which is a global vehicle. While completely different to the LC today, both are global products. They are sold all over especially the LC. Only the G wagon can maybe claim that. The QX is basically a Patrol rebadge from the middle east.

Escalade, Navigator, GLS, X7 etc etc are all for mostly the US market. Thus their larger sizes.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The reason why it gets the more powerful and performing 550h+ the RX doesn't?

No idea at this point. All I can safely say is im
hearing it’s pretty big. With a LX they would need to make something clearly larger IMO. Only way it works.

Let’s not forget the GX and surely when it’s changed, it will grow in size as all the things.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
So the general consensus is that the TX will be much larger than the LX and a better Escalade competitor, yet it will also be 4 cylinder only and on the front biased TNGA-K platform?

mikeavelli

Reactions
So the general consensus is that the TX will be much larger than the LX and a better Escalade competitor, yet it will also be 4 cylinder only and on the front biased TNGA-K platform?

No idea on engine power but other folks have speculated that.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Everything I’m hearing it’s the size of Texas. Really large and a clear Escalade competitor. Not smaller.

That beautiful LF1 is suppose to be the actual X7 / GLS fighter yet somehow they decide to throw it out......not showing any care in this super competitive high-end SUV segment, is really beyond my understanding like wtf...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That beautiful LF1 is suppose to be the actual X7 / GLS fighter yet somehow they decide to throw it out......not showing any care in this super competitive high-end SUV segment, is really beyond my understanding like wtf...
If everything is BEV, I get that, but BMW XM is PHEV with TTV8, and it is not even out. So Lexus had a generation to sell the LF-1.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I think the TX is going to be a properly sized QX60/Q7 competitor since Lexus is lacking in the midsize 3-row segment (I don't consider the RX-L)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Being unibody and transverse platform, it will be much lighter than SUVs in the same size segment. The weight will be comparable to Sienna, around 2200kg (4850lbs). That's almost 450kg (1000lbs) lighter than the average competition.

So average driving it will be perfectly fine even with base 350 engine. But it won't be able to tow a lot especially if they engineer it for lightness, I guess they specifically reserve that role to Sequoia. Even the top of the line 550h+ will be far outmatched by Sequoia.

So TMC's overall strategy is offering a lot of 3-row SUVs each with its own strength, but you can not have it all.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Being unibody and transverse platform, it will be much lighter than SUVs in the same size segment. The weight will be comparable to Sienna, around 2200kg (4850lbs). That's almost 450kg (1000lbs) lighter than the average competition.

So average driving it will be perfectly fine even with base 350 engine. But it won't be able to tow a lot especially if they engineer it for lightness, I guess they specifically reserve that role to Sequoia. Even the top of the line 550h+ will be far outmatched by Sequoia.

So TMC's overall strategy is offering a lot of 3-row SUVs each with its own strength, but you can not have it all.

It's perfectly possible for the TX to have more interior space than an Escalade, but unibody FWD/AWD with 4cylinder is going to be completely and wholly different from RWD/4WD body-on-frame with a V8. This is the same way that the Sienna has more interior space than the Land Cruiser... it does not mean they really compete.

IMO, the competition for the TX will be: MDX, Q7, Enclave, Aviator, QX60, etc. That is the volume play and it's the single biggest hole Lexus has had in their lineup for 10+ years. Many of those models have interior space and volume comparable to Yukon/Escalade/LX but cost $20k less and are way more flexible for families with better MPG. Lexus knows this -- and it's the better business case.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It's perfectly possible for the TX to have more interior space than an Escalade, but unibody FWD/AWD with 4cylinder is going to be completely and wholly different from RWD/4WD body-on-frame with a V8. This is the same way that the Sienna has more interior space than the Land Cruiser... it does not mean they really compete.

IMO, the competition for the TX will be: MDX, Q7, Enclave, Aviator, QX60, etc. That is the volume play and it's the single biggest hole Lexus has had in their lineup for 10+ years. Many of those models have interior space and volume comparable to Yukon/Escalade/LX but cost $20k less and are way more flexible for families with better MPG. Lexus knows this -- and it's the better business case.
4 cylinder turbo (plugin)hybrid will have very good performance and economy. for such type of cars cylinder count does not matter (as long it is not 3 or 2 cylinder engine). cylinder is important for larger flagship cars and in this case BOF which simply are much heavier. TX550+ will probably out accelerate LX 600, still weight less, and have better fuel economy, and more space, work in winter with winter tires no worse than LX. Where the LX shines (potentially after adding proper tires), even the Escalade will not be as good off-road.

Adrian

Fan
Reactions
Pretty fair review, I'd say.

Knowing that everyone here loves the Sequoia and Tundra -- and a large part of that is because they were engineered and designed by Americans, for America -- I'm getting more and more excited to see the TX.

LX isn't the type of product America has been asking for, but that's just how it is, I guess.
Once the TX comes out and becomes the family three row SUV we expect from Lexus, do you think Lexus could shift the LX into being a G-Class competitor instead of being marketed as something that competes with the X7 or the GLS?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Once the TX comes out and becomes the family three row SUV we expect from Lexus, do you think Lexus could shift the LX into being a G-Class competitor instead of being marketed as something that competes with the X7 or the GLS?

It’s not being marketed as a X7 or GLS competitor. That’s what people online say. I doubt most would be cross shopped. Those are unibody SUVs with more room and they sell in much higher quantities. The LX has been around since 1996 and they are all sold out. Much more rare, a real tank and true 4x4.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Agree with Mike... I don't think they are traditional competitors on paper, but I will say that most people I know shopping in that segment don't have any knowledge of BOF vs. unibody or probably even FWD vs. RWD and just think, "What's the biggest/nicest SUV from: Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi?" etc.

Living in a large metro area that is affluent, the thinking among shoppers is usually: "What's the biggest and nicest SUV they offer?" and then they cross shop 2-3 of them. Naturally, you'll feel a lot of difference between a unibody X7 or GLS and an LX or Escalade, but I can say for certain that at least around here, a lot of people seem to like (and maybe favor) the "big truck" feel of BOF and ability to easily tow more weight.

Looking at MSRPs on dealer lots, most Escalades, X7s and GLSs are $90-100k+ so very much in LX territory, and I think people do cross shop them as such... even more so now with the SUV craze, whereas before the LX had a niche buyer. I think the LX still appeals to that buyer wanting a luxury Land Cruiser that can go 250k miles, BUT I also think more traditional buyers are entering that segment with the "What's the biggest and best?" mentality, and the LX gets roped into the cross shopping more than before.

Reactions
Living in a large metro area that is affluent, the thinking among shoppers is usually: "What's the biggest and nicest SUV they offer?" and then they cross shop 2-3 of them. Naturally, you'll feel a lot of difference between a unibody X7 or GLS and an LX or Escalade, but I can say for certain that at least around here, a lot of people seem to like (and maybe favor) the "big truck" feel of BOF and ability to easily tow more weight.
Basically, the TX needs to be bigger than the LX and would capture those buyers that walk into the Lexus showroom that ask that question.