mikeavelli

Reactions
Interesting thought. A Lexus Sequoia version would be a true X7/GLS competitor, but I don't know if I can see an additional Lexus SUV after the TX is introduced. UX, NX, RX, TX, GX, LX, -X?

Now the kicker is....could the Lexus TX actually be a rebadged Sequoia, not a rebadged Grand Highlander? I don't know if a Lexus rep ever confirmed what the TX platform was.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the TX trademarks are 350 and 500h. You can't put that powertrain in something Sequoia sized.

I assume any “TX” would be Sequoia based. Just makes sense. I cannot see another platform made or used for it.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
No one should complain about the size of LX if you know the history of it.

But ...

Is there any luxury SUV that doesn't have panoramic sunroof?

Is there any luxury SUV that has smaller tachometer than LX's?

Not to mention brands like Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, Kia and etc. Basically Lexus didn't give us the best they could.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Yup. I really think people need to recognize the LX is really more like a roomier G Wagon. They are rare and true off roaders and offer some compromises. In exchange you get something truly capable and rare.

With a new Sequoia coming we can assume a Lexus version is finally coming. As gecko is saying that is the suv for the USA.
Sequoia turning into a Lexus is news to me. @Gecko is this a thing? All the buzz has been highlander spawning a grand highlander (same factory) and then that being positioned into a TX (which would takeover the poorly thought out RX-L).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Sequoia turning into a Lexus is news to me. @Gecko is this a thing? All the buzz has been highlander spawning a grand highlander (same factory) and then that being positioned into a TX (which would takeover the poorly thought out RX-L).

TX is unibody but... BIG. More efficient packaging in a unibody platform makes it easier to create more space. For their physical size, Land Cruiser and LX have never had huge interior dimensions or room. TX will be very different in this regard.

Reactions
Completely agree ... seems clear the new LX was designed for a different non-NA audience (think the Middle East, Russia etc). They seem much more interested in off-roading features than true luxury or advanced tech features.

Anyway Lexus/Toyota are just a business and so they will just make the necessary decisions to produce the best long-term profits. In this case since the majority of the LX buyers are outside of NA, they are going to listen to those customers and not the NA customers.
The LX has always been built around the limits/parameters of the LC. There's less of a need to make the LX more like an Escalade or a full sizer, but Toyota could've done something with the Sequoia to become a Lexus much sooner...I guess with any trans-national company, the "We need more SUVs" from the American execs have been on any US subsidiary's agenda.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
@Insiders Is TX this year thing or next year? Thanks!
The launch schedule at least in my book so huge truckload of salt.

Spring 2022 RZ and UX refresh
Fall 2022 we should start hearing about the next gen RX as a MY23. (NX launched a year before the 4th Gen RX)
My guessitmate would be the TX launching at the same time they roll out the GX as a MY24 at the earliest.
On the Toyota side the Grand highlander would come to market faster then the TX.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
TX is unibody but... BIG. More efficient packaging in a unibody platform makes it easier to create more space. For their physical size, Land Cruiser and LX have never had huge interior dimensions or room. TX will be very different in this regard.
iu

/s

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No one should complain about the size of LX if you know the history of it.

But ...

Is there any luxury SUV that doesn't have panoramic sunroof?

Is there any luxury SUV that has smaller tachometer than LX's?

Not to mention brands like Toyota, Ford, Hyundai, Kia and etc. Basically Lexus didn't give us the best they could.

apparently luxury is all about the size of tachometer. It also looks pretty big to me but who am I.

I read through bunch of reviews, seems only US mags (Motortrend and C&D?) are saying it is a compromise, everyone else is gushing how big improvement it is. All the Aussie mags think it is 2nd coming of Jesus.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
apparently luxury is all about the size of tachometer. It also looks pretty big to me but who am I.

I read through bunch of reviews, seems only US mags (Motortrend and C&D?) are saying it is a compromise, everyone else is gushing how big improvement it is. All the Aussie mags think it is 2nd coming of Jesus.

All the Aussie 4WD mags have been super impressed by the LC300. They’ve taken it out on the proper rough stuff and even in factory trim without the usual aftermarket mods, it’s been a revelation.

As an Aussie, most of the serious 4WD off road drivers here swear by the LC. There’s always a LC pulling out beached BMWs/Mercs etc at the sand dunes/4WD tracks near where we live.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

All the Aussie 4WD mags have been super impressed by the LC300. They’ve taken it out on the proper rough stuff and even in factory trim without the usual aftermarket mods, it’s been a revelation.

As an Aussie, most of the serious 4WD off road drivers here swear by the LC. There’s always a LC pulling out beached BMWs/Mercs etc at the sand dunes/4WD tracks near where we live.
The LC is not the same as the LX, Toyotas words not mine. What works for the LC crowd may not be enough for the LX buyer at least in the states.

Being a flagship product, expectations as lofty as they come, "Bentagya beater" even minuscule details like a small tachometer are under scrutiny. The Bentaga, G wagon, GLS, Escalade etc etc are pushing screens everywhere.
While we all understand that extra inches dont equate to a better product experience, the reality of marketing is hella funny

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The LX really exists in a vacuum. It doesn't compete with anything. If customers asked for a bigger tachometer they will do it. If they asked for panoramic roof they will do it. To me at these prices the LX is a rip-off, but only the sales figures and customer feedback will determine whether it's fairly valued and equipped.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions

Of course it is big improvement over last gen after how many years. No one denies that. But you can’t just compare it with itself. You must also look at other products in this price range ($100k+).
Never mind, eventually sales figures will tell everything.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Of course it is big improvement over last gen after how many years. No one denies that. But you can’t just compare it with itself. You must also look at other products in this price range ($100k+).
Never mind, eventually sales figures will tell everything.
For a vehicle that seems to not compromise on its off road capabilities, I can't help but wonder how capable some of the more popular choices say, X7, GLS, etc are by comparison cuz the only thing that I can think of that gets remotely close to the goal of this car would be the full fledged Range Rover.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
For a vehicle that seems to not compromise on its off road capabilities, I can't help but wonder how capable some of the more popular choices say, X7, GLS, etc are by comparison cuz the only thing that I can think of that gets remotely close to the goal of this car would be the full fledged Range Rover.
The GLS has that meme rocking mode to get unstuck in offroad situations. It repeatedly inflates and deflates the air spring and pray one of the tires can touch the ground and get traction. That's totally going to work and nothing will break right? Best example of overengineered German crap: using the most complicated solution for the easiest problem. Just search 'GLS rocking mode' and see what a joke it is.

Meanwhile a LX activates CRAWL control and gets out like nothing happened. That being said AHC is always LX's Achilles Heel, but at least Lexus doesn't add a self-destruction button like Mercedes does.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah time for more feedback. Honestly it should be damn near standard it not only is better to use, it gives the car a feeling of technology
It's fantastic in the winter, too. I've yet to have that camera get blocked off by snow or ice, whereas the rear window's a pretty big target. They need to get it on the full lineup.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hate to say it, but now that the pics are out, I would definitely take a Sequoia Platinum or 1794 over the LX 600. Far better looking, comes in a hybrid and it has the options that the LX doesn't (aside from the massaging front seats).

Sequoia is much more interesting and more of a leap forward, IMO. Plus you get the iForce MAX standard at higher trim levels and I'd rather have the hybrid for a lot of reasons.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Hate to say it, but now that the pics are out, I would definitely take a Sequoia Platinum or 1794 over the LX 600. Far better looking, comes in a hybrid and it has the options that the LX doesn't (aside from the massaging front seats).

Sequoia is much more interesting and more of a leap forward, IMO. Plus you get the iForce MAX standard at higher trim levels and I'd rather have the hybrid for a lot of reasons.
And maybe more competitive against uni-bodies, IRS.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions

I didn't get a chance to read the article. What options does the Sequoia have that the LX doesn't? I agree that the powertrain is a huge benefit over the LX.
On a positive note I have been very pleased to hear the engine and shifting of the LX600 has seen almost universal praise in terms of smoothness, shifts, and acceleration (the reviews in New Mexico at 8,000 feet were consistently beating Lexus claims). Quells any worry of the dreaded 2018 LS experience