Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'd argue the S Class and Panamera and 7 Sereis even with its big grille all look a lot more imposing and better.

I guess it's always going to be a matter of personal preference. S class is clean and handsome but fairly bland, especially since Mercedes has copied the same shape and details right down to the $40k mark. 7 Series is a disaster. Panamera is gorgeous but not exactly in the same class, IMO - competes more with the CLS and A7. The A8, like the S Class, is clean and conservative but extremely boring.

You all know my qualms with the LS, but design is certainly not one of them:

rkuuq4vhnupizz9gdhib

zuowvdffczoqomc7yrgy

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Despite some newfound changes, the revised LX 600 still looks somewhat dated.

The refreshed 2022 LX 600 is what the LX 570 should've been, 5-6 years ago.
The LX will not change drastically maybe the refresh will get the mesh treatment like the NX and IS. The only thing that will bring a big change to the LX design is if Lexus decides to move away from the spindle grill.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
400 some HP how quick do we think this monster of a SUV is going to be?

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
I'm not so impressed with the interior especially the center console. The vent is vertical which doesn't fit the exterior design language (mostly horizontal lines). The upper screen is awkwardly placed like a separate piece (like every other model with touch screen), the lower screen looks like an iPad being pushed into the console. Also therefore the vertical vent. I also don't like the high glossy piano black button. The exterior looks fine to me. It's more facelift than a total redesign. I am not sure if the car is gonna sell well, but there wouldn't be so many cars for dealers to sell nowadays anyway. Lexus is going safe this time. I missed the bold Lexus 10, 20 years ago.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I suspect the LX was suppose to be released alongside the 5th LS, judging by some of the elements of the interior (the secondary small screen beneath the main screen, the gauge cluster & the little screen from the armrest are using the same UI design from the 5LS). Numerous people have brought up the lack of customization and functionality of the gauge and I was really hoping for a major redesign of it, however from the initial hands-on it looks like it is still the same 8'' display found identical on the 5LS. The screen on the back armrest looks fixed like the 5LS with little functions to play with. For all these years of delaying...they didn't even bother to try and improve it at all. While the infotainment area is a great overhaul and has finally become more competitive in its class, the rest of the technology still falls short in my honest opinion.

And to touch on the design especially the middle area:
Maybe the remote touch was notoriously bad that they had to delay and come up with an emergency plan to redesign the whole center area, to me it feels like a pretty lazy effort to tack on the main screen like the old Lexus line-up. I'm okay with a Toyota product, but certainly not a Lexus like this. It just looks very disjointed and out of place sitting on top of the lower center console. Also they could've placed the start stop button and volume knob elsewhere and minimize the bezels. Overall a very nice evolution like everyone was expected, however the competition really has nothing to be worried.

Reactions
No one is even commenting on UNCHANGED wheelbase… Only 112”?
I thought one of the main points of redesign was to make a longer vehicle that can easily fit a family of 6-7 let’s say, and a larger cargo space. Now we definitely need to check Escalades and such even that I really was hoping LX would come even close.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
The LX isn't even available in the UK, so...
Haha yeah that’s a funny joke isn’t it. The fact Lexus are pretty much an SUV only outfit in the UK now yet don’t even bother to offer their flagship SUV because they know it isn’t even going to compete.

i find making snide comments about fan groups’ opinions dangerous. When you start saying that the people who would potentially buy your product are wrong - you’re on a slippery slope to just being an apologist to stupid decision making and poor products.

I disagree above about the 5LS and UX being design fails. 5LS just needed to become the LF-FC styling by now but is handsome on its own merit. UX has been a hit here in Europe and overall it’s a cool little angular urban cruiser.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
No one is even commenting on UNCHANGED wheelbase… Only 112”?
I thought one of the main points of redesign was to make a longer vehicle that can easily fit a family of 6-7 let’s say, and a larger cargo space. Now we definitely need to check Escalades and such even that I really was hoping LX would come even close.
Was commented on. You can disagree, but the LX is a Landcruiser, and for Landcruiser Toyota sticks to its "golden ratio" 2850mm wheelbase, golden ratio in terms of off-roading capability and comfort/interior space.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
I guess it's always going to be a matter of personal preference. S class is clean and handsome but fairly bland, especially since Mercedes has copied the same shape and details right down to the $40k mark. 7 Series is a disaster. Panamera is gorgeous but not exactly in the same class, IMO - competes more with the CLS and A7. The A8, like the S Class, is clean and conservative but extremely boring.

You all know my qualms with the LS, but design is certainly not one of them:

rkuuq4vhnupizz9gdhib

zuowvdffczoqomc7yrgy

I am only talking about the design when it comes to the 5LS. I know it has its successes and strengths in other aspects. But also its fails, hence the losses in head to head comparisons between it and the Genesis G90, not to mention the Germans. And I *LOATHE* Genesis, so as a Lexus fan, I just want them to be better.

The first photo you posted illustrates one of my issues with the 5LS design. The lines, proportions, and stance are just not it from a design perspective. The rear haunches from this angle makes it look like a hatchback. The second photo also does not make it very flattering with the bulge of the haunches and the busy lines/elements that isn’t befitting a luxury flagship sedan.

Now let’s compare it to the LF-FC which was supposed to be the “preview” of the 5LS. Now there are many lines going on here as well, but this design is exactly where the 5LS fails: it has a strong, confident stance, harmonious lines, it’s very *stately* and handsome. The lines of the rear haunches and the pillar are smooth and in harmony, you can still tell it’s a sedan from this angle. You can see this car fit in at a gala or an important event, while the 5LS would IMO would not. If Lexus was able to translate this concept to the production 5LS, I would have been very happy. They were able to do it with the LC500 and the LF-LC concept where they made sure that the concept car made it to production. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen with the 5LS production car.

Lexus-LF-FC-concept-at-the-2016-Geneva-Motor-Show.jpg

Going back on topic to the new LX. It’s a successful design because it almost looks like a LF concept car, but already in production form! People have complained about the large grill, but despite its massive size, I think it’s one of the best applications of the Lexus spindle grill. The side lines are perfect and they have differentiated it very well from the Land Cruiser, with its more sporty back.

lx-ultra-luxury-14-1634070199.jpg

The side profile is absolutely perfect, the line from headlight and just under the windows and all the way to the taillights is beautiful. If this was Lexus of mid2010’s, we would’ve seen a random drop of that line. Or 5 more pinches or creases 😂

20211014-01-57-1634143988.jpg

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Haha yeah that’s a funny joke isn’t it. The fact Lexus are pretty much an SUV only outfit in the UK now yet don’t even bother to offer their flagship SUV because they know it isn’t even going to compete.

i find making snide comments about fan groups’ opinions dangerous. When you start saying that the people who would potentially buy your product are wrong - you’re on a slippery slope to just being an apologist to stupid decision making and poor products.

I disagree above about the 5LS and UX being design fails. 5LS just needed to become the LF-FC styling by now but is handsome on its own merit. UX has been a hit here in Europe and overall it’s a cool little angular urban cruiser.

I am not poking fun at anyone, but the reason the LX isn't sold in the UK is twofold: It's an absolutely massive vehicle by your standards with narrow roads and parking spaces, and the fuel economy has historically been atrocious when the UK has very expensive fuel prices. So the demand for such a vehicle is quite small, and most people in that market see the RX L as "full size" while being much better suited to your country/economy. The minuscule interest that's left for vehicles like the LX is pretty much split by Mercedes and BMW for the GLS and X7.

Furthermore, most of the folks I know in the UK consider ALL full size SUVs to be gaudy, oversize, excessive, overstyled, etc - and that goes for the Escalade, X7, etc. Your home town Range Rover tends to get a pass, though it's not as big. So I just don't know that the LX is really an outlier there. I do very much agree with you about the grille though.

Reactions
Considering the 440lb weight loss, massive torque and new 10AT, I would guess around 6 seconds.
The new land cruiser is said to do it between 6.7 and a little over 7 seconds, so I’d probably just add .5 seconds to the Lexus’s time.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Being objective as a Lexus fan (but not a "fanboy"). I don't think they "nailed it" or hit a home run as others have implied and I certainly wouldn't put this is as one of their better looking vehicles.

The horizontal slats on the grille appear to be directly taken from the Toyota Tundra in prior years.

The center console looks improved, but it does not appear befitting of a $100k car. Just saying.

This looks like what a refresh should have been 8 years ago.

I was holding out hope they'd make the LX slightly bigger as it's destined for North America primarily and Saudi princes can have new Landcruisers, LXs, tanks, helicopters, 6 x 6s, etc. if they really want to go off road.

Like Toyota has failed to understand trucks in America for decades, so to has Lexus failed to grasp that America wants VERY LARGE and luxurious 6-7 people haulers. The new hybrid Sienna is not that.

The new Tundra interior (1794 especially) is much more well thought out than this and really not that less luxurious if at all.

The GX is still my favorite Lexus (and likely vehicle) I've ever owned. I'm now much less excited about the new model reportedly set to debut in 1-2 years.

A few weeks ago I would have put a deposit down for this LX without any pics or test drives just based on the hype.....Now, I'm considering the new Tundra 1794 which will be fully loaded around $60-65k and seems like an incredible value proposition compared to a compromised LX 600 for $100k+

Reactions
Was commented on. You can disagree, but the LX is a Landcruiser, and for Landcruiser Toyota sticks to its "golden ratio" 2850mm wheelbase, golden ratio in terms of off-roading capability and comfort/interior space.
I understand that from their answer, but they are killing huge portion of the market. I was personally waiting for this upgrade for years and have 4 kids. For the last few years we are hearing reports how dealers en masse are complaining about the lack of a proper 3 row vehicle and something to compete with American larger SUV’s. Redesigned LX was always expected in those reports as that vehicle. Now, it’s not. They have GX and could’ve made that mid size SUV. They are really missing a response to Escalade, Navigator etc.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
Being objective as a Lexus fan (but not a "fanboy"). I don't think they "nailed it" or hit a home run as others have implied and I certainly wouldn't put this is as one of their better looking vehicles.

The horizontal slats on the grille appear to be directly taken from the Toyota Tundra in prior years.

The center console looks improved, but it does not appear befitting of a $100k car. Just saying.

This looks like what a refresh should have been 8 years ago.

I was holding out hope they'd make the LX slightly bigger as it's destined for North America primarily and Saudi princes can have new Landcruisers, LXs, tanks, helicopters, 6 x 6s, etc. if they really want to go off road.

Like Toyota has failed to understand trucks in America for decades, so to has Lexus failed to grasp that America wants VERY LARGE and luxurious 6-7 people haulers. The new hybrid Sienna is not that.

The new Tundra interior (1794 especially) is much more well thought out than this and really not that less luxurious if at all.

The GX is still my favorite Lexus (and likely vehicle) I've ever owned. I'm now much less excited about the new model reportedly set to debut in 1-2 years.

A few weeks ago I would have put a deposit down for this LX without any pics or test drives just based on the hype.....Now, I'm considering the new Tundra 1794 which will be fully loaded around $60-65k and seems like an incredible value proposition compared to a compromised LX 600 for $100k+

Agree, I am also not a fan of the interior design of LX600. I like Tundra's better, simple, clean and functional.

Just like when you choose a kitchen sink, Double bowl vs. Single bowl. I always pick single bowl!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
LX will not be the largest Lexus CUV/SUV for very long, so those of you wanting something bigger will have your wishes granted. LX could be bigger, of course, but they can't alienate the volume of core buyers in UAE and Russia who actually take it off-road for 350 soccer moms/month in North America who want to make CostCo runs with 5 of their offspring in tow.

It's going to all shake out, but LX is staying true to the LX formula. TX is coming soon...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

How would you want an even larger LX and then go to a Tundra which only seats 5 people max?

RAL

Reactions
Saw last generation (post facelift) Highlander yesterday and didn't think twice until I realized the slatted front grille reminds me of the new slatted LX grille.

200px-2016_Toyota_Highlander_(XU50)_IMG_2932.jpg

Reactions
LX will not be the largest Lexus CUV/SUV for very long, so those of you wanting something bigger will have your wishes granted. LX could be bigger, of course, but they can't alienate the volume of core buyers in UAE and Russia who actually take it off-road for 350 soccer moms/month in North America who want to make CostCo runs with 5 of their offspring in tow.

It's going to all shake out, but LX is staying true to the LX formula. TX is coming soon...
Thanks! I hope soon enough. I have nothing against American products and actually appreciate greatly improvements in cars made here, but I’ve been driving Lexus for the last couple of decades and enjoy greatly their philosophy of reliability, quietness and recently with LS F Sport, addition of a great handling too. I hope TX comes soon enough, as I was reluctantly about to buy something else. Really, really reluctantly.