Levi

Expert
Reactions
if leuxs had both bof and performance unibody suvs, they'd distroy the market, just make sure infotainment has all is needed and works well, no need gimmick either.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A few days ago I finally had a chance to ride in a Middle East-spec GX460. The owner spent almost ¥1M to import it (about 25% more than LC 4600). I am astonished by the comfort of this SUV. The smoothness of the V8 is as good as the old LS430/460. There's zero engine noise, feels like a BEV even going WOT (also has a BEV-like torque curve). The ride is also as good as an old 2000s LS. It's definitely way better than all the J150 and J200s we get. I don't understand people saying it rides like a truck. It definitely is more comfortable than the RX, but that's probably also because the ChDM RX300 is just so frustrating to drive.

Now I see why it's so popular in America. Sometimes people just want a big, comfortable SUV. For $52k I see how it makes a lot of sense (I probably would choose it over say a ES350 and definitely over a RX350). To me this feels like a true replacement for the old school LS sedans for owners who don't like the flashy styling of 5LS. But at import price it's definitely no go for me. Would rather get a LC 5700 for slightly more.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A few days ago I finally had a chance to ride in a Middle East-spec GX460. The owner spent almost ¥1M to import it (about 25% more than LC 4600). I am astonished by the comfort of this SUV. The smoothness of the V8 is as good as the old LS430/460. There's zero engine noise, feels like a BEV even going WOT (also has a BEV-like torque curve). The ride is also as good as an old 2000s LS. It's definitely way better than all the J150 and J200s we get. I don't understand people saying it rides like a truck. It definitely is more comfortable than the RX, but that's probably also because the ChDM RX300 is just so frustrating to drive.

Now I see why it's so popular in America. Sometimes people just want a big, comfortable SUV. For $52k I see how it makes a lot of sense (I probably would choose it over say a ES350 and definitely over a RX350). To me this feels like a true replacement for the old school LS sedans for owners who don't like the flashy styling of 5LS. But at import price it's definitely no go for me. Would rather get a LC 5700 for slightly more.

Glad you were able to experience the GX... it really is a very unique vehicle, which I think is why it continues to sell so well and be so desirable in the used market. It's not for everyone, but the overall feeling of quality and refinement is unmatched for the price, IMO.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The GX460 is a love/hate vehicle. Most people who own it for sometimes love it for what it is and what it does best. Auto reviewers in general hate it because it their 15 minutes experience.

With the recent 15+ inches of snow, the GX is a perfect vehicle for un-plowed streets.

This is soooo true. As an owner of a current 4Runner, having had two previous 4Runners, and having a GX in the family, none of them are vehicles that will shock and wow you on a first drive: the handling is sloppy, they're comparatively slow, the tech is old, and they lack visual pizazz compared to many crossovers.

For those reasons, I can see how hopping from an X5 to a GX, or an Explorer ST to a 4Runner, you wouldn't exactly be enthused. But that is where the experience of being an auto reviewer vs. an owner really diverge... when "real life" comes around with day-to-day commutes on crumbling roads and potholes, "go anywhere" capability, packing in kids/pets/gear, and you only have to go in for scheduled service over 150k miles, the GX and 4Runner start to shine. And in the case of the GX, you have all of the little details and daily luxuries that Lexus does so well, which just makes the experience even better. The sales numbers and desirability of Toyota BOF products speak for themselves, and tell quite a different story compared to many auto reviewers.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
how is it the gx is so much better than prado? prado is underpowered and gx has no diesel.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
20210424_NewLX-768x475.png

Now that we’ve seen the second generation NX and refreshed ES, rumors are heating up about the next generation LX set to arrive later this year. Creative Trend, a Japanese automotive media website, provided a render of Lexus’ flagship SUV which, perhaps not surprisingly, is derived heavily from the LF-1 Limitless concept.

It seems like every Lexus CUV or SUV render since 2018 has been based on the LF-1 Limitless concept somehow, so we take the image lightly. However, the timing of a new LX later this year after the Land Cruiser launch does seem to check out.

That raises the question: Will the LX and Land Cruiser continue to share platforms as they have historically? And if it launches this year, wouldn’t it be more likely to arrive as a 2022 model? Join the conversation in the Lexus Enthusiast forums.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
That would be awesome if the LX got the LC style hidden door handles. It may not be practical for a true utility vehicle, but let’s give the LX that true luxury flagship feel.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly if this exterior will be the mk-iv LX I will prefer the J300 to it as yes it looks sporty but also rakish for a true calm down top classic lux