TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
Honestly we can go back to 1996. When Toyota/Lexus offered a LX as a rebadge sales were phenomenal. People instantly were willing to pay for the LX. It passed the Range Rover in sales overnight. No clearer example of badge power since they were identical. This also meant going forward the LC would have to move upmarket,

Today a Lc is a 80k vehicle. The number one thing people complain to me about is no air suspension like the LX. You might as well just get a LX.

I would love the LC to come back smaller and more of a nimble off roared.Ford did a great job doing that with the Bronco.

The funny thing is the LC is also available with AHC in the Middle East , Russia and Japan .

ffff.png

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Honestly we can go back to 1996. When Toyota/Lexus offered a LX as a rebadge sales were phenomenal. People instantly were willing to pay for the LX. It passed the Range Rover in sales overnight. No clearer example of badge power since they were identical. This also meant going forward the LC would have to move upmarket,

Today a Lc is a 80k vehicle. The number one thing people complain to me about is no air suspension like the LX. You might as well just get a LX.

I would love the LC to come back smaller and more of a nimble off roared.Ford did a great job doing that with the Bronco.

What they should do is off roader based on next gen Prado like they had with FJ.

LC200 is expensive everywhere, and when there is only small difference to LX, it does not make sense.
It is also not luxurious enough, so I am pretty sure next gen will be better... still not suited for US market in world spec.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The funny thing is the LC is also available with AHC in the Middle East , Russia and Japan .

View attachment 4493

Thanks didn’t known this.

What they should do is off roader based on next gen Prado like they had with FJ.

LC200 is expensive everywhere, and when there is only small difference to LX, it does not make sense.
It is also not luxurious enough, so I am pretty sure next gen will be better... still not suited for US market in world spec.

Yup. Note the GX/Prado is sold in more places than the LC200. Smaller and more nimble and cheaper.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What I do not understand is how for the Prado, such a high margin high volume selling car, they could not engineer a more variable tailgate, one that that opens the other side, or barn doors for both right/left handside or split tailgate ala LC200.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What I do not understand is how for the Prado, such a high margin high volume selling car, they could not engineer a more variable tailgate, one that that opens the other side, or barn doors for both right/left handside or split tailgate ala LC200.

they are so big, split tailgate does not help really. I dont think i ever used it in LC200, because you have to raise your luggage quite high then.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Having a swing-out rear tailgate that opens from different sides depending upon left- or right-hand drive would have to be designed in from the beginning. The body structure that the hinges hang on has to be stronger to handle the weight of the door; they cannot just move the hinges from the right side (for JDM and other RHD countries) to the left side (for North American and other LHD countries). The vehicle would have to be designed with both sides of the rear portal opening to be equally strong to allow the door to be mounted on either side.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The J150 is barely smaller than the full size J200. In fact it's larger than J80 and almost the same size as J100.

Over the years the Prado grew too much in size. The original J70 Prado was very small (smaller than today's RAV4) but then it became a 'status symbol' in many countries and people demand more space and luxury. It's the same problem with every segment of cars. The original role of the Prado is now filled by Fortuner.

IMO the FJ was perfect size and proportions for 5-door offroad SUV.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Having a swing-out rear tailgate that opens from different sides depending upon left- or right-hand drive would have to be designed in from the beginning. The body structure that the hinges hang on has to be stronger to handle the weight of the door; they cannot just move the hinges from the right side (for JDM and other RHD countries) to the left side (for North American and other LHD countries). The vehicle would have to be designed with both sides of the rear portal opening to be equally strong to allow the door to be mounted on either side.

i know that, and that is exactly the point. how can it be so costly for them to engineer it to have the swing gate open right or left depending on market, when this car has such a high sales volume and profit margin? i call that lazy

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So much for the 'LX goes unibody' theory. There's no way Lexus will let BOF go when it works incredibly well across the globe.

Bring on the Lexus Tundra!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So much for the 'LX goes unibody' theory. There's no way Lexus will let BOF go when it works incredibly well across the globe.

Bring on the Lexus Tundra!

wow , you want a Lexus Tundra
until now I still believe it will be a unibody and the BOF will go

BOF will be in current and future luxury level, maybe it will be under Toyota and maybe even a subbrand,

BOF GX & LX are gone as I am saying from long ago!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As was discussed in the Land Cruiser thread, Lexus has nothing to base a unibody LX on, aside from TNGA-K... so it clearly will not happen.

Anyway, if we are going to have RX, 3 row TX and then GX... GX changing to become something like a luxury bronco is probably a great choice.

LX is arriving this year, so only a little while longer before we see Lexus' new flagship... exciting.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As was discussed in the Land Cruiser thread, Lexus has nothing to base a unibody LX on, aside from TNGA-K... so it clearly will not happen.

Anyway, if we are going to have RX, 3 row TX and then GX... GX changing to become something like a luxury bronco is probably a great choice.

LX is arriving this year, so only a little while longer before we see Lexus' new flagship... exciting.

So that direct4 lexus might end up being smaller than GX suv? Reading the article above, he is hinting to addition to GX and LX, and that vehicle looks upright and smaller than GX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So that direct4 lexus might end up being smaller than GX suv? Reading the article above, he is hinting to addition to GX and LX, and that vehicle looks upright and smaller than GX.

I've said for a few years that I think that would be BRILLIANT, and even more so in this market: An NX-sized GX.

Rugged: ?X - GX - LX
Sleek/CUV: UX - NX - RX - TX

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-01-19-lexus-lx-off-roading-variant.jpg

Lexus could release off-roading variants of its body-on-frame SUVs like the GX and LX, according to an Automotive News interview with senior brand executives:

“We have body-on-frame vehicles that would lend themselves to that type of execution, if we decide to go that way,” Gilleland explained to Automotive News. “You know, for me personally, I’m an outdoorsman. I would love to see us do it. I think it’s a viable business model.”
“There’s still a thirst out there for body-on-frame and authentic off-road [capability], so it’s something we’re exploring,” Gilleland told Automotive News.

Toyota North America Head of Automotive Operations Jack Hollis also weighed in on the prospect:

“What we have seen at Toyota is that there’s so much of an appetite for...

Continue reading...

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
So like.. TRD Pro GX and LX? Or would they get their own naming scheme.. F Sport Pro 🤔