Gecko

Connoisseur
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
While Lexus is secretive, they also have a history of being more open when they want to... think about the prolonged testing and spy shots of the LC, or even the LS in plain view. I do think you have a point that with COVID, there are less people working in a physical location to test, take pictures and things of that nature.

Regarding the V8, Lexus has said they don't see it going into products below $90k and that's right about the price of entry for the LX, so maybe the LX could debut the next gen turbo V8 in LX 600? LC will be due for a refresh soon, and the LS is to have one this fall. Either of those could get it too, but I don't recall LC 600 or LS 600 trademarks.

Toyota seems to be rocking and rolling with redesigns and refreshes, and we know Lexus follows the same production methodology: New Sienna, new Venza, RAV4 TRD Off Road, refreshed Tacoma, Corolla Cross coming soon, etc.

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Have other brands beside Lexus had products delayed as well? I don't follow the industry that closely besides Lexus and this site so just wondering if others are way behind as well?
There have definitely been industry-wide delays due to COVID-19. For example, facelifts to a number of GM crossovers and to the Chevy Bolt EV originally due for the 2021 model year are now 2022MY (it is unclear if they'll skip from 2020 to 2022 or if there'll be a short run of 2021s virtually identical to the 2020s). And, for all the talk of the death of auto shows, a number of unveilings were programmed for the now-cancelled 2020 Geneva, New York and Detroit shows. Those will be revealed online instead later than the auto shows they would've debuted at.

Ford's Bronco and Bronco Sport are good examples of this. They should've been unveiled by now, but we won't see Bronco until July 13 and no date yet for Bronco Sport. Ford flatly stated that production starts will be delayed at least by the 2 months their plants were shut down, and I'm sure other carmakers face similar delays.

Also, LX 600 what engine are we putting in...The V8 that is "reserved" for F products or something new...
Regarding the V8, Lexus has said they don't see it going into products below $90k and that's right about the price of entry for the LX, so maybe the LX could debut the next gen turbo V8 in LX 600? LC will be due for a refresh soon, and the LS is to have one this fall. Either of those could get it too, but I don't recall LC 600 or LS 600 trademarks.
It's my understanding that the "600" is a new Dynamic Force 4-liter twin turbo V8. Though this engine was mostly mentioned in conjunction with the cancelled (?) LC F, it was surely bound to be used in other Lexus models. Definitely no LC 600 nor LS 600 trademarks.

James

Admirer
Founding Member
Reaction score
So here's my question to this...shouldn't delays be say 2-3 months and not an entire year? Aren't these places open and running business again or are they still closed? For Lexus sake what is the status of all this in Japan? And not trying to push @Joaquin Ruhi if you don't know I get it just asking lol

And the engine is suppose to be the V8 we have been all waiting for got it.
Crap did that wrong!

So here's my question to this...shouldn't delays be say 2-3 months and not an entire year? Aren't these places open and running business again or are they still closed? For Lexus sake what is the status of all this in Japan? And not trying to push @Joaquin Ruhi if you don't know I get it just asking lol

And the engine is suppose to be the V8 we have been all waiting for got it.

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess the answer to that varies manufacturer-to-manufacturer and even model-to-model. According to what I read recently, Toyota production in Japan should reach 90% of normal capacity in July, which is pretty swift progress. Yet, on the Venza thread on our forums, the first dealer deliveries won't start happening until November 2020 for a vehicle originally announced for "Summer 2020", so that's roughly a 3-month delay right there.

And drastically reduced carmaker profits and uncertain sales prospects due to Covid-19 provide a handy reason to cancel marginal or vanity projects. To date, the LC-F cancellation (if the rumors are true) is the first one I've heard of, but I suspect it won't be the last...

suxeL

Follower
Reaction score
I do wonder if the all quiet front from Lexus is the COVID pandemic where people aren't out looking or if this new secret training facility has helped really keep everything super quiet (we know Lexus loves to be secret as well) but it just seems the longer they wait on all these products the more people are going elsewhere. Like dropping a few more hints on new products like a headlight or a wheel or something would at least peak interest right? We all sound like broken records no matter what thread we are on, but we are all looking for updates with Lexus and we just aren't getting them (yes we have a "new" IS).

Have other brands beside Lexus had products delayed as well? I don't follow the industry that closely besides Lexus and this site so just wondering if others are way behind as well?

@Gecko I think it would be great for the LX to go more away from the Land Cruiser. Both could have their own markets and not compete as well. Also, LX 600 what engine are we putting in...The V8 that is "reserved" for F products or something new...
Define "Delay". Bronco, Hummer rebirth have been delayed, either launches pushed back months. It depends