Lexus GS 4th Gen GS450h 12V Battery Replacement

Reactions
Many of us with early 4th Gen GS450h (2012/3) are probably due for 12V back-up battery replacement. Mine just died last week.
Instead of spending $700 at the Lexus dealer, here is how I replaced mine.

1. From research, it seems its best to use an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) replacement battery.
Maybe it's OK to use a normal lead acid as the DC-DC converter keeps it at full capacity most of the time, anyhow I used an AGM, which can deep cycle and lasts longer.

2. In terms of what is readily available in the US, the most similar AGM I could find was a Delphi 47AGM.
Its readily available on Ebay/Amazon for about $170.
It's similar in capacity at 60AH, vs 58AH for the existing.
Most importantly the +- terminals are the correct way around for the wiring.
See the pictures below for comparison to the Panasonic battery that came in the car.

3. For the vent hole, I drilled out the minus size to fit & sealed off the plus side.
Then I inserted the vent hose with a little butyl to seal it.

4. It's a tight fit to the battery tray - it bends the base bracket a bit, but it basically fits & is a little higher.
The upper hold down bracket also just fits and bends slightly.

5. The Battery + terminal & connecting terminal need to sit at an angle, so loosen both nuts and adjust (see the picture).
I gave up on the Battery + cover and just took it off. The Battery - wire fits fine.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 16
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 10
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 12
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 13
Reactions
Many of us with early 4th Gen GS450h (2012/3) are probably due for 12V back-up battery replacement. Mine just died last week.
Instead of spending $700 at the Lexus dealer, here is how I replaced mine.

1. From research, it seems its best to use an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) replacement battery.
Maybe it's OK to use a normal lead acid as the DC-DC converter keeps it at full capacity most of the time, anyhow I used an AGM, which can deep cycle and lasts longer.

2. In terms of what is readily available in the US, the most similar AGM I could find was a Delphi 47AGM.
Its readily available on Ebay/Amazon for about $170.
It's similar in capacity at 60AH, vs 58AH for the existing.
Most importantly the +- terminals are the correct way around for the wiring.
See the pictures below for comparison to the Panasonic battery that came in the car.

3. For the vent hole, I drilled out the minus size to fit & sealed off the plus side.
Then I inserted the vent hose with a little butyl to seal it.

4. It's a tight fit to the battery tray - it bends the base bracket a bit, but it basically fits & is a little higher.
The upper hold down bracket also just fits and bends slightly.

5. The Battery + terminal & connecting terminal need to sit at an angle, so loosen both nuts and adjust (see the picture).
I gave up on the Battery + cover and just took it off. The Battery - wire fits fine.

I'd like to say thank you! I received the same battery, followed the same steps and the installation went smoothly. It's my understanding the AC Delco battery has been discontinued though so this may not be a good alternative for very much longer.