46th (2019) Tokyo Motor Show

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
New Outlander and Xtrail will debut at TMS. Maybe EV hatchback will debut from Lexus.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Concept and I hope that Yaris gets 1.8L hybrid. It has rumored that new Yaris would cross 33.3km/L NEDC.

The 1.8L system won't fit in a next-gen Aqua/Yaris Hybrid. It will have very tight packaging and be too heavy.

I expect the 'small hybrid system' will come standard with Li-ion pack since it is more compact and cheaper to produce than the NiMH pack.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Production ready Lexus EV or concept?

A BEV crossover smaller than a UX it's already confirmed.
My understanding (and current rumors) suggest that Lexus will unveil a BEV concept at the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show, probably smaller than UX. Reading the trademark tea leaves, the first production Lexus EV should be a version of the UX wearing a UX 300e badge.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
New Harrier is coming to TMS. With 2.5L petrol and 2.5L hybrid. TNGA C with stretched wheelbase to make difference with RAV4. Seven seater also coming.
1454520.jpg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
New Harrier is coming to TMS. With 2.5L petrol and 2.5L hybrid. TNGA C with stretched wheelbase to make difference with RAV4. Seven seater also coming.
View attachment 3449

The UX is TNGA-C too, right? That's a sharp design.

Looking online, this site had some interesting materials regarding the TNGA rollout plans:

That in particular has "compact class" as the focus post LC/LS. This would support the idea that they aren't done with the platform rollout for compacts with the UX (we haven't seen any e-TNGA cars announced yet, right?), and the UX may indeed be the first fully electrified option.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The UX is TNGA-C too, right?
Yes, it is.

Looking online, this site had some interesting materials regarding the TNGA rollout plans:

That in particular has "compact class" as the focus post LC/LS. This would support the idea that they aren't done with the platform rollout for compacts with the UX (we haven't seen any e-TNGA cars announced yet, right?), and the UX may indeed be the first fully electrified option.
I don't think any of the TNGA architectures are "done" yet. And that graphic only shows a fraction of the TNGA products launched. The Mid-size class is TNGA-C. Besides the Prius, C-HR and Corolla shown, TNGA-C includes Lexus UX. The Full-size class actually comprises 2 separate architectures: the transverse-engine, FWD-centric TNGA-K and the longitudinal-engine, RWD-centric TNGA-N. Besides the Camry shown, TNGA-N includes Toyota Avalon, RAV4 and the new-for-2020 Highlander, plus Lexus ES. The Toyota Crown is the sole TNGA-N offering. The Lexus (premium class) is, obviously, the LS and LC's GA-L. The Compact class is the yet-to-be-launched TNGA-B (hence, no illustration) for the upcoming next-gen European and Japanese Yaris. The latter's introduction should happen sometime between late October of this year (Tokyo Motor Show) and early March 2020 (Geneva Motor Show).

From my understanding, Toyota and Lexus will launch their battery-electric offerings with variants of the existing Toyota C-HR, Izoa (a Chinese market near-identical C-HR twin) and Lexus UX, the latter expected to wear UX 300e badging. The dedicated-electric e-TNGA platform comes later (maybe early 2020s), and all we've seen on that front is the 6 clay prototypes revealed in early June as shown below:

new-toyota-e-tnga-platform-detailed-every-model-will-be-electrified-by-2025-135060_1.jpg

Oh, and that TNGA Mobility page that @CRSKTN linked in his post contains this eye-opening passage:

TNGA So Far
Toyota began its TNGA initiatives with the development of the fourth-generation Prius (launched in Japan in December 2015), leveraging the fruits of these initiatives to create other mid-size models: the C-HR and Prius PHV in 2017, and the Crown and Corolla Sport in 2018. In 2017, these initiatives were also applied to the large-size Camry, Lexus IC, and Lexus IS models...

Did Lexus just admit that the RC will be rebadged as IC, per some rumors? Or was that just a couple of careless typos (given the 2017 date) where they meant to say LC and LS?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
TNGA So Far
Toyota began its TNGA initiatives with the development of the fourth-generation Prius (launched in Japan in December 2015), leveraging the fruits of these initiatives to create other mid-size models: the C-HR and Prius PHV in 2017, and the Crown and Corolla Sport in 2018. In 2017, these initiatives were also applied to the large-size Camry, Lexus IC, and Lexus IS models...

Did Lexus just admit that the RC will be rebadged as IC, per some rumors? Or was that just a couple of careless typos (given the 2017 date) where they meant to say LC and LS?

Wow, great catch! Initial thought is, it's a typo, but that's boring so i'll assume it's not.

My heart wants it to be an entry level convertible, since Lexus seems sold on the appeal of the LC convertible, but if it is an RC rename i guess it won't kick in until the next gen RC as the current was just a refresh?

So current lineup:
IS ES GS LS
RC LC
UX NX RX GX LX

Would that be the only change they make, or emblematic of a bigger shift in how they run the lineup?
The naming convention just seems a bit random currently, to suddenly care about it seems weird.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
First pressconference is over! Here is Nissan Ariya and Nissan IMK concepts.

nissan_ariya_nissan_electric_suv_nissan_ev_concept_nissan_upcoming_cars_tokyo_motor_show_upcom...jpg
nissan_ariya_nissan_electric_suv_nissan_ev_concept_nissan_upcoming_cars_tokyo_motor_show_upcom...jpg1458868.jpg2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
Electric coupé styles CUV Nissan Ariya. Dimensions are 4600mm 1920mm 1630mm. With dedicated platform for EVs, New Nissan design language, AWD and Propilot 3 this vehicle is best in class. I'd say outdated Model Y can't compete with this.

1458868.jpg
Electric kei car Nissan IMK.

Last edited:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus LF-30
Lexus Presents its Vision of Future Electrification with the World Premiere of the LF-30 Electrified Concept

Attachments

• 002 (1).jpg
    002 (1).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2