46th (2019) Tokyo Motor Show

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
^would make sense. Camry, Corolla and Rav4 have all toured around the country, nothing new to show except if they are going to launch Highlander in EU.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
New Mirai

Nothing new. Crown based TNGA RWD model. FC stack placed under rear seats and centre tunnel. Bestcar has heard some rumors that Mirai would be LS FCV's sister model. That means more luxury and range (almost 1000km).

This is interesting, do you have the exact words on what Bestcar said about the LS FCV (LS+)?

There was some chatter in the other thread that the LS+ was cancelled. which would be highly disappointing.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
「ベース車は違うが、同じく2020年に登場予定のレクサスLS FCVは兄弟車という位置づけで、より上質なモデルになり、航続距離も向上する。」from https://bestcarweb.jp/news/69676
"Based on different car (not Crown) there will be launch of LS FCV in 2020 and Mirai will be its sister model. As more upmarked vehicle it will have long range."
Here is some tech info from another bestcarweb.jp article:
基本プラットフォームは現在市販中のLSをベースとし、フロントフード下、エンジンが搭載される位置にFCスタックが搭載され、プロペラシャフトが通される位置に水素タンクを搭載。前後輪をモーターで駆動する4WDとなる。
"Platform will be same as in standard LS. FC stack is in engine room and hydrogen tank is in propelshaft. Motors in both axel makes it 4WD."
Oh and there could be Police car Mirais for olympics:
B_04suka.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So, Mirai will the upmarket version of LS, or the LS FCV will be the upmarket version of the Mirai?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A hybrid system attached to a hydrogen engine would be the type of next-generation leap in powertrain technology that would establish Toyota and Lexus as leaders in the realm of alternative propulsion. Suddenly, BEVs would look very plebeian.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
So, Mirai will the upmarket version of LS, or the LS FCV will be the upmarket version of the Mirai?
Mirai becomes a more upmarket product, still below LS. It gets as luxurious as Crown can.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah you are right. Japanese market is unique. Consumer doesn't associate brand with certain level of products. For example Toyota is like whole GM's or VAG portfolio in one company. Infact that's the reason Acura or Infiniti are not present in Japan. And for Mazda it is easier making transition to a luxury brand simply buy making more luxurious products. What comes for Toyota's upmarket products I need to point out Toyota holds roughly 50% of Japanese luxury market while Germans and Lexus 25%. Consumers are shifting toward domestic luxury brands and brands. I read some interesting article on Yomiuri that 80% of Heisei era born (33 and under) would pick CHR or UX over Audi Q3 or Porche Macan. Showa era born picked opposite. In fact Heisei born women prefered CHR over UX even on same price tag. Japanese luxury market is getting more competetive as Nissan brings JDM Skyline back and new Cima too. New Legacy is toe to toe with Audi A4 in Japan. Mazda is bringing Mazda 9 and next gen Atenza. I don't think that Honda won't reliese anything. Nissan bringing IMS concept to life Toyota needs luxury NEV. They are not ready for non petrol/hybrid Crown yet.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A hybrid system attached to a hydrogen engine would be the type of next-generation leap in powertrain technology that would establish Toyota and Lexus as leaders in the realm of alternative propulsion. Suddenly, BEVs would look very plebeian.

Do you mean a hydrogen-powered ICE hybrid or a FC-EV hybrid?

The former makes zero sense because the specific output will be very poor. BMW tried before and they made just over 200hp from a 6.0L V12. The reason is that hydrogen ICEs need to run a ridiculously high AFR (over 60:1) to avoid NOx emissions. Only a heavily boosted Wankel engine will make enough power in a reasonable displacement. But they could just borrow one from Mazda I guess.

All FCVs are already hybrids since they all have a traditional hybrid battery to do load balancing and regen.

Last edited:

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
「ベース車は違うが、同じく2020年に登場予定のレクサスLS FCVは兄弟車という位置づけで、より上質なモデルになり、航続距離も向上する。」from https://bestcarweb.jp/news/69676
"Based on different car (not Crown) there will be launch of LS FCV in 2020 and Mirai will be its sister model. As more upmarked vehicle it will have long range."

This is quite interesting. Based off the good track record of Best Car, means that LS+ (with FCV) is still on. I wonder if the 2020 LS was the one that was really meant to compete with the S class? Maybe we'll finally see the LS concept in production form, even in 2020 the concept would be first in class, design-wise. LS+ design would also be welcome.

2018 LS was good but I think they were holding back. Hopefully this is the case.

2020 would be a decade after the LFA was introduced. Lexus needs another big bang sensation, though arguments can be made the LC can be considered as one.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
This is quite interesting. Based off the good track record of Best Car, means that LS+ (with FCV) is still on. I wonder if the 2020 LS was the one that was really meant to compete with the S class? Maybe we'll finally see the LS concept in production form. 2018 LS was good but I think they were holding back. Hopefully this is the case.

With the 2020 Olympics coming up and all the talk about Lexus/Toyota having a fleet of fuel-cell & EV vehicles driving around Tokyo, we better see something like the LS-FC or LS-EV or something major at this year's show.

My safe guess is UX EV, but I'm hoping for something much more exciting.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
2018 LS was good but I think they were holding back. Hopefully this is the case.

I think it's fairly clear that they called "stop" on the 5LS before everyone was finished, because no matter how much better it might have been, running the 4LS until MY2019 or 2020 would've been catastrophic.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
According to Zhang Wenchuan(the engineer of TMEC), the next generation of Mirai may make its debut at the Tokyo Motor Show this year.View attachment 3309
What is he talking about hybrid cars and commercial cars. Does he reveal if Mirai is bound to China. Maybe Chinese reveal is at Guangzhou Auto show

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
What is he talking about hybrid cars and commercial cars. Does he reveal if Mirai is bound to China. Maybe Chinese reveal is at Guangzhou Auto show
He said that Toyota would promote BEV in passenger cars and FCV in commercial vehicles in China.
Mirai is still in China for a three-year test, and there is no more information on whether to introduce mirai.
In fact, Mirai has appeared at the Auto Show many times in China.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
TMS will be battleground for two compact models: Yaris and Fit.
20190910_SCOOP_Yaris-Fit_01b1.jpg
Yaris will get 1L and 1.3L petrol engines (no word on hybrids). Yaris GR will have 1.5L turbo and GRMN model 1.6L 250hp turbo engine. Also new TNGA chassis makes the car feel sportier.
20190910_SCOOP_Yaris-Fit_03b1.jpg20190910_SCOOP_Yaris-Fit_05b.jpg

On the other hand Fit will abandon iDCT hybrid in favor of iMMD hybrid. It won't use excisting 1.5L or 2.0L hybrids but rather newly developed hybrid system for small cars. Also there is a rumor of a type R model with 1.5L turbo making 220hp 250Nm. Fit's bodywork was engineered to be compadible with high power model.
20190910_SCOOP_Yaris-Fit_02.jpg20190910_SCOOP_Yaris-Fit_04b.jpg

Will1991

Reactions
We will see next gen 86 at the show with more powerful 2.4L engine.

Is it supposed to be in full production form or just a concept?

A Yaris GRMN with 250hp.... If it's true it's going to be awesome! Also, I'm excited to see what engine will have the hybrid version, as the current 1.5L it's not all that fuel efficient when compared to the bigger and more powerful Prius.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Is it supposed to be in full production form or just a concept?

A Yaris GRMN with 250hp.... If it's true it's going to be awesome! Also, I'm excited to see what engine will have the hybrid version, as the current 1.5L it's not all that fuel efficient when compared to the bigger and more powerful Prius.
Concept and I hope that Yaris gets 1.8L hybrid. It has rumored that new Yaris would cross 33.3km/L NEDC.