Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I guess a LC buyer doesn't have a lot more choices... All of my acquaintances that own a LC (won't mind which one), they are the most passionates owners around... They just love them... Even if they try other brands/models a LC will find it's way "home" again.

Honestly, I won't mind lacking some more updates around LC's if we get more updates on the IS thread :)
Whoa the IS? LOL I am not touching that. Before I returned to the United States, I was upset that we could not update our Mk II 200 V8 to a Mk III 2016 version, because it was discontinued in the UK.

Sure it was a huge vehicle to be driving around Birmingham, Coventry, and into London vicinity. But I loved it.

Most people drove around Range Rovers and G-Classes, but I loved the times I took 2.5 hour drives down to London, to pick up friends and back up to my family B'ham metro area residence.

In Africa they are my go-to vehicle next to the LX570. So I am very invested in them being their best and as modern as possible because I benefit from the great reliability and airconditioned comfort, plus security of it not letting me down in the midst of intense heat and sometimes risk.

I think everyone who drives one of these has that belief. It will not let you down, in an emergency nor delay your schedule with silly issues.

The biggest issue I have today is, where it stands competitively.

Back in 1998-1999, the 100 series was top of its class and was also high tech from having a class-leading interior next to the Range Rover and also had a GPS touchscreen navigation system, plus offroad hardware that bested many.

Even the Mercedes Gelandewagen didn't have the best interior at that point until later updates in the 2000s. It was dated by comparison.

The 200 series tried to aim in that direction, but quickly fell behind. No one had any reason to criticize the interior of the 100 as "dated", because the Americans were nothing remarkable (save for Jeep), the ML was crappy, BMW didn't appear until very late in 1999, and no one else was competition worth paying mind to.

This alone sold so many of them because it was unmatched. The most luxurious 8-seater utility vehicle in the world, that could go anywhere at the close of the 20th century. That no longer holds true, unless you go aftermarket and spend tens of thousands of euros.

Based off what I've been told, I'm going to try and summarize and just state:

The Sequoia is the biggest, but not necessarily a flagship. Targetting Expedition, Suburban, and Yukon.

Instead of being a luxury ute, the respected nameplate vehicle will lose some seating capacity and become more of a really nice toy, with less sticker shock in the states.

Global versions probably will just evolve to new frame, still ranging from bare bones UN spec to decked out VX Limited or etc flagship variants.

LX will remain BOF, but no longer will have internal competition from TLC. This one will seat 7-8 people, plus a 5 seater version and ultra-luxury 4-seater.

I really don't believe that Lexus USA will get what they want in terms of a body-on-frame Escalade ESV competitor. However I don't work for them, so anything can happen though.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Do you mean worldwide? Without being in the know, i am still pretty confident that new TLC will be even more luxurious than before, the top versions of course.

Now they can do whatever they want for the US of course.

Reactions
Lets hope that the new Landcruiser comes with a solid rear axle with the option of a rear locker.

With the news of the tundra coming with independent suspension, the likelihood of LC having this is more likely :/

Levi

Expert
Reactions
LC200 has SRA, Sequoia has IRS. According to some member on ih8mud, the IRS of the Sequoia is very beafy, looks like it was engineered for the LC200. He said the IRS would be a simple bolt on job for the LC200.

As I understand, the LC80 was all solid axles, the LC100 was IFS and SRA, the LC105 with SFA for those that did not trust IFS.
The LC200 was thus to get IFS and IRS, but for the sake of being sure, they retained the SRA and the Sequoia was the gennypig for the IRS.
How the results went, and what decision was taken is unknown. I think IRS is a given, but probably like the LC105, there might be for the LC300 a SRA also, aka LC305.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

The rumors claiming the next generation of Toyota's gargantuan Land Cruiser will surf the industry's downsizing wave are getting louder. The off-roader will get a high-tech makeover, but it will remain as rugged as ever.

In 2020, the Land Cruiser is available with a gasoline-powered V8 in the United States, among other markets, and with a diesel-burning V8 in countries like Australia. All signs point to both eight-cylinders retiring along with the current-generation model. Japanese magazine Best Car learned Toyota will argue there's a replacement for displacement by making the Land Cruiser available with a twin-turbocharged V6 engine borrowed from Lexus.

The 3.4-liter six makes 416 horsepower and a stout 442 pound-feet of torque when it's bolted into the Lexus LS. Buyers will also have the option of ordering a hybrid powertrain built around the aforementioned V6 (and, oddly, not around the 3.5-liter six found in the LS 500h)

Called 300-series internally, the next-generation Land Cruiser will allegedly be a little bit shorter than the current, 200-series model (pictured) but it will be just as wide. Its height will vary slightly from market to market. It will be heavier, especially when fitted with the hybrid powertrain, but it will at least match the 2020 model's robust 8,100-pound towing capacity. It goes without saying that Toyota will build the off-roader on a ladder frame.

Toyota is expected to introduce the next-generation Land Cruiser in July or August of 2020, about 62 years after it sold the very first example in the United States, but the off-roader might not arrive in American showrooms until the 2022 model year. Additional information will emerge in the weeks leading up to its official unveiling. The Lexus LX, which has always been an upmarket variant of the Land Cruiser, will adopt the new underpinnings and the downsized powertrains in 2022.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I am curious to see when it will debut. The article says July or August of this year but as a 22 MY seems odd. If the LC does debut this year it should give us a hint of what the next gen Tundra and Sequoia will include.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I am curious to see when it will debut. The article says July or August of this year but as a 22 MY seems odd. If the LC does debut this year it should give us a hint of what the next gen Tundra and Sequoia will include.

Could be a tease for a 2021 launch of the 22 MY, but that's pretty far out still. Could be a result of 2020 being a bit of a write off?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
An Automotive News interview with newly-minted Toyota USA CEO Ted Ogawa (the subject of a recent Lexus Enthusiast news story ) also includes this passage on Land Cruiser in the USA:

Ogawa is product-focused in conversation — he says he and his colleagues "have some alternatives on how to retain the Land Cruiser nameplate" in the Toyota lineup (in North America)...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
No the rumoured plan is a rigid BOF with LC70s look because they also said it will be more luxurious in ME-Gulf area and in Russia

That means it will be treated more as G Class / Defender leaving the LX for the GLS / X7 / Bentayga

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
No the rumoured plan is a rigid BOF with LC70s look because they also said it will be more luxurious in ME-Gulf area and in Russia

That means it will be treated more as G Class / Defender leaving the LX for the GLS / X7 / Bentayga

I think you're confused. You're also grouping together vehicles that don't get cross shopped, and you're somehow arguing that they are going to try and make the LC a further up-market product than even the GX/LX was before.

What you described is what i said. A dedicated, 5 seater, BOF off road toy that can be had at a lower price point than it currently sells at. For particular markets they can make one offs with flashier inside/outside or rebadge whatever Lexus equivalent GX spinoff they potentially choose to do and sell that. They could also let you load it up like the new defender with various overlanding kit.

Why would they upmarket the LC? People already aren't spending LX money on an LC in most markets.

It'll be a Defender/Jeep fighter.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I mean the international market not the NA market

International market you will find a lot of people choosing the name Land Cruiser over the LX due to the heritage

I didn't mean the NA land cruiser at all , I was talking about the international version especially the Gulf and Russia version

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
An Automotive News interview with newly-minted Toyota USA CEO Ted Ogawa (the subject of a recent Lexus Enthusiast news story ) also includes this passage on Land Cruiser in the USA:
Wow, a dear friend of ours sent me a message that endorsed a previous theory of mine.

The Next Generation Land Cruiser in the United States ISN'T the 300-Series. Is it actually an offshoot of something else or next Prado 180 in battle gear? Maybe that's why the timeline isn't defined yet. That right there is MY 2023 at earliest.

How will the difference between TLC and 2023 4Runner be split? Kill Limited?

Very curious about ideas and suggestions. I don't see Toyota making a Bronco or Wrangler competitor with the Land Cruiser nameplate, but not entirely impossible.

What I am concerned about is the big LC dying is very true.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It is quite dumb NA doesn't get the Landcruiser. But no surprise when the Ultimate Driving Machine is an X7 though.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Carmaker1 , with your last message I put the puzzle together and I am more convinced on it

The clues are the following:

1) https://www.motor1.com/news/399275/toyota-insider-details-future-models/

A- The road map said that we will see a new GX on 22 as 23 model

B- The next 4Runner will be revealed as 22 or 23

2) The LF-1 limitless production vehicle will be debited also on 22

3) no info about the next generation Prado yet

Summing all that will have some ideaa

1) GX will be the LF-1 limitless or the LF-1 limitless will be debuted as LQ

A) if GX debuted as the production version of the LF-1 the NG.Prado might appears to take the current GX position

B) if the GX remains as is neither the Prado, nor the TLC300 if shorten can be found together because there will be more than 3 mid BOF in the same market

2) TLC300 either it will be named in NA as Europe as Prado or it will be a size between mid & full or it will remains full-size but out of NA

So the logic scenario maybe 1A with the TLC300 absence in NA and Prado take it's name with the current GX role

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So...that August 2020 Job 1? It just might be a redesigned Land Cruiser.

We'll see if this August 2020 report is accurate.
Apparently not, as the Google Translation of a MagX article says that, "...although it was originally planned to appear this summer, it will take time to redesign the exterior and check the reliability of the powertrain, so the debut in spring 2021 is currently planned...

By the way, this Landcruiser 300 was planed to be launched this summer. But due to redesigning the exterior and further develop of the powertrains, it is now delayed until next spring".

The article also states that the Land Cruiser 300 will offer a diesel option in the Japanese market.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
By the way, this Landcruiser 300 was planed to be launched this summer. But due to redesigning the exterior and further develop of the powertrains, it is now delayed until next spring".

Do you mean that the exterior and powertrains were changed at the 11th hour?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Do you mean that the exterior and powertrains were changed at the 11th hour?
I'm simply quoting what the Google Translation said. "Check(ing) the reliability of the powertrain" and "further develop(ment) of the powertrains" is open to interpretation, but my best guess is that potentially recalibrating the V35A-FTS 3.5-liter twin turbo V6 from luxury sedan Lexus LS use to BOF trucks demanding greater low-end torque took longer than expected. Other possibilities are issues with the diesel engine available in other markets meeting more stringent anti-pollution standards; developing a hybrid powertrain different from that in Lexus LS and LC; and maybe even setbacks developing the possible rumored Dynamic Force V8. Those are nothing more than educated guesses that come to mind. None of that is official.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Wow, a dear friend of ours sent me a message that endorsed a previous theory of mine.

The Next Generation Land Cruiser in the United States ISN'T the 300-Series. Is it actually an offshoot of something else or next Prado 180 in battle gear? Maybe that's why the timeline isn't defined yet. That right there is MY 2023 at earliest.

How will the difference between TLC and 2023 4Runner be split? Kill Limited?

Very curious about ideas and suggestions. I don't see Toyota making a Bronco or Wrangler competitor with the Land Cruiser nameplate, but not entirely impossible.

What I am concerned about is the big LC dying is very true.

Isnt 4Runner already a battle version of Prado? But yeah, I can see them adding more of LCs worlwide.

Dying in US or dying worldwide?