Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They pulled out of a market where they sell an extra 0 a year so they certainly have a track record here.

Which of the two has more brand familiarity in USA? Sequoia or Land Cruiser?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The Land Cruiser is basically unknown in the US, and trying to lux it up to compete with Land Rover would make the LX redundant. So I can see them cutting the Cruiser and just revising the LX in the US.

Reactions
This was the post

Last edited:
Reactions
The Land Cruiser is basically unknown in the US, and trying to lux it up to compete with Land Rover would make the LX redundant. So I can see them cutting the Cruiser and just revising the LX in the US.
Um, its not unknown....its been in the Toyota portfolio since '57 so the LC name is legendary. Its just so expensive now most buyers can't buy it and it competes with Rovers and endless other SUVs (including the LX), most with newer technology (folks that don't tend to keep vehicles over 10 years). Those other choices are just more luxurious and fewer owners that bought it new are interested in taking it offroad, and the LX even less so.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
2 things: Thought the LX/LC refresh was MY21. I guess unofficially its now MY22. Next thing is, could they possibly just mistaken the GX rather then the LC? Originally the MY20GX has a EOL at MY22, and MY23 is where the new ones suppose to launch or the GX dies. Again all speculation here. It`d be sad to see it go, but I assume the LX just sells more and its just numbers at this point

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Um, its not unknown....its been in the Toyota portfolio since '57 so the LC name is legendary.

Car guys know about it and consider it legendary. It might as well be invisible otherwise. Toyota doesn't do marketing for it and it's nearly double the price of a Sequoia. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road, which is weird given there's an SUV craze going on.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
LC300 and LX will debut in autumn of 2020 and we might see concept at TMS. For Japan V8 is not coming and powertrains are V6 turbo and multistage turbohybrid. LX is developed alongside from the beginning so it is not just a rebadge.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
4X4 Australia got hints of a diesel-hybrid system for the LC300 from the vice president of sales and marketing of Toyota Australia. Makes a lot of sense considering over 99% of their truck and SUV sales there are diesels. There are also rumors of a six-cylinder diesel engine to replace the V8. A modern reincarnation of the legendary HZ and HD is certainly very welcome.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/toyota-300-series-land-cruiser-diesel-hybrid-system

Toyota Australia also hints at a successor to the Land Cruiser 70. That's very exciting to hear. It remains to be seen whether this will be based on the proven J200 LC or N130 Hilux platforms or a clean sheet design based on TNGA-F.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/future-toyota-70-series-land-cruiser

Australia is by far the biggest market for LC so Toyota Australia has a lot of influence on the design of the future LC so I wouldn't be surprised if these prove to be true.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
LC300 will get detuned V35A-FTS turbo with 180ps/30.6kgm motor and will achieve 10km/L in city. Note that this engine configuration is for Japan there maybe different engines for differen parts of world.
This is the final design:
0671684e5fb5f990b2e238e671d0c30a.jpg4ce3e9b07769b3250e85d1ffb44a26f91.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Ok

Regarding the engine, it will be factor in the body weight for overall performance and I think that the most powerful engine will be V35A-FTS with its full power + a motor or 2 and a big battery as PHEV with hp not less than 500

Regarding the design, all what I see is Armada / Patrol lines especially the rear end, I also didn't digest the rear pillars as Toyota never make them looking like 90° straight line perpendicular on the body like that, I love the side bold lines and the integration of the lines with the authentic Land Cruiser side windows lines, that's really a good profile, from front it's a Land Cruiser with its hood lines and creases and the large opening with Toyota emblem in the middle adding all these elements to the bottom skid, but the head lights and the black bar vents from the 2 lights is some how strange for me

Last edited:

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
^thanks Gecko! I don’t have the money for a LC, however I am following it’s news in hopes to hear or see some things on the new Tundra. I’m ready to drop some cash on an all new Tundra and am anxious!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They can take their sweet time considering this will probably be the last new Land Cruiser ever made. Who knows what the future of automobile looks like, but the J300 will soldier on when we all get shuttled in autonomous pods. It better be able to survive the apocalypse like the J70 or J200 will.

I've never had problems with no V8; it's nice to have but not a necessary ingredient for a good Land Cruiser. The most iconic Land Cruisers always had six cylinders. The FJ70 and HJ75 fought more wars than any other vehicle. The FZJ80 is the best offroader ever made. The FZJ105 is more robust than the overly civilized UZJ100. The GRJ conquered more roads than the URJ, though to be fair, the best 200 series is the VDJ with that over-overengineered V8 diesel.

As long as the V35A-FTS is bulletproof I will buy it. If the hybrid is just as capable, even better. (I'm running out of patience with Lexus and it might be the right time to buy my ultimate car, a Land Cruiser, and keep it until private car ownership becomes a thing of the past).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
They can take their sweet time considering this will probably be the last new Land Cruiser ever made. Who knows what the future of automobile looks like, but the J300 will soldier on when we all get shuttled in autonomous pods. It better be able to survive the apocalypse like the J70 or J200 will.

I've never had problems with no V8; it's nice to have but not a necessary ingredient for a good Land Cruiser. The most iconic Land Cruisers always had six cylinders. The FJ70 and HJ75 fought more wars than any other vehicle. The FZJ80 is the best offroader ever made. The FZJ105 is more robust than the overly civilized UZJ100. The GRJ conquered more roads than the URJ, though to be fair, the best 200 series is the VDJ with that over-overengineered V8 diesel.

As long as the V35A-FTS is bulletproof I will buy it. If the hybrid is just as capable, even better. (I'm running out of patience with Lexus and it might be the right time to buy my ultimate car, a Land Cruiser, and keep it until private car ownership becomes a thing of the past).

I doubt it will be last LC... they sell really well.

As to the hybrid, I am sure it is coming just as I am sure that diesel hybrid is not coming. Trusting AU media on future of cars is funny.

LC is a nice car, but LX is much nicer. We had both V8 and V8 diesel as demo, so I had some extensive time in them, there were plenty of things they could improve from quality standpoint in those first LC200 models.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I doubt it will be last LC... they sell really well.

I meant the last new LC design. The 300 series could remain the same platform but with constant improvements like the 70 series for four decades.

The body-on-frame recipe is so simple there isn't a lot to improve. What are they going to do on the 400 series? Make the frame out of titanium? (Well that's certainly possible with the Lunar Cruiser or the Martian Cruiser...) By then the market for a traditional BoF offroad vehicle with an ICE and driven by a human could be so small it's hard to justify a clean sheet design and the relevant markets will be perfectly happy with the 300.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Big changes coming to Land Cruiser - and it's not dying.

Let's hope so. Cancelling the Land Cruiser in the US would be an extremely foolish move for Toyota to make. Canadians to this day are still mad that the Land Cruiser was cancelled in Canada in the 1990s.