Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
With the TJ cruiser they will have three subcompact-class crossovers all based on GA-C. Anyway I like the idea of all three so no complain here.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
To steer this back to the LX, Lexus really needs to play catch up here with lux content over lesser siblings. As a flagship product, there is no reason why the only Lexus model that offers massaging seat programs, is the LS.

MB offer them on their mid-range to flagship products, ditto for BMW 5/X5 and up. Although there are less programs compared to the BMW G12 M760i and G15 M850i, I was impressed by Centrifugal and Centripetal massage settings on the LS 500.

I also recall, the lack of power soft door closers, a feature the LS has offered since the LS 430. There are a number of others the OUTGOING Range Rover has against the LX, . I believe if they take this into account, it can only make it a truly credible flagship. I am hearing about the next RR, which is past styling and being engineered for production now.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Is BMW Going To Build Its Own Version Of The Toyota Land Cruiser?
Japanese automotive magazines are known to have a penchant for eye-popping rumors – and the latest one is that BMW could work with Toyota to build its own version of the Land Cruiser.

BMW and Toyota teamed up to create the new Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 and, according to Japan’s MacX, as cited by hamad1two3 in a (since-deleted) Instagram post, the two are looking at extending their partnership into off-roaders.

It is claimed that Munich’s customers, especially those in Russia and the Middle East, are demanding an off-roader with similar capabilities to the Land Cruiser but with all the luxury features you’d expect from a BMW.
c5e1efb9-toyota-bmw-land-cruiser.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I didn't think the Japanese rumormonger car magazines could come up with anything more ridiculous than the BMW-inline-6-in-a-Lexus IS rumors or the third Lexus coupe, but they just outdid themselves...

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I didn't think the Japanese rumormonger car magazines could come up with anything more ridiculous than the BMW-inline-6-in-a-Lexus IS rumors or the third Lexus coupe, but they just outdid themselves...
Skeptical as usual. Let's first see what they announce at TMS, then we see where the ship is headed. :)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Toyota didn't out the LandCruiser ladder secrets to those companies that they have shares in them, so why they will do it to complete foreign company, or are they planning to take over BMW as they intended in the 90s ?!!!!

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This actually makes far more sense to me than the "BMW IS" rumor. BMW has essentially become an SUV company (my inner car guy is cringing typing that, but the sales numbers are real) yet they have no experience and no reputation for body-on-frame true off-roaders. A rebadged Land Cruiser would fill that in a way basically nothing else could. Very much like how the Supra gives Toyota the tuner-friendly street racer they couldn't develop themselves.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I agree with @Ian Schmidt. We are seeing a lot of changes with Toyota and unfortunately, I think while these rumors are seeming crazy, they're actually probably more realistic than we realize. Toyota giving BMW to their most flagship platform makes me cringe, but so did the idea of a BMW Supra, and here we are.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If the Germans wanted to copy the ladder, they could just buy a Land Cruiser and take it apart, like Cadillac did with the LS400. If this is happening it means that they decided it's cheaper to buy them from Toyota than to make their own.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Or it can means also there are a lot of welding points and a lot of materials and they still not knowing what's the good what's the best what's the bar and what's the worst

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Given how BMW's business model revolves around people getting new products every five years, I doubt they'd be interested in something that lasts 25 years... What's the point? They already have X1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and soon X8.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
wow
they can go out of NA all together if they really make it , which I can't take this rumour myself even with a lot of salt

they already returned a long died icon "the Supra" and planning officially to bring at least another 2 add to this that the SUV / CUV market continue booming, so why they will kill the Land Cruiser ?

It's completely a rumour or the next Sequoia will be a Land Cruiser version maybe a long wheelbase Land Cruiser or the land cruiser will be died as a model and born as a brand

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
wow
they can go out of NA all together if they really make it , which I can't take this rumour myself even with a lot of salt

they already returned a long died icon "the Supra" and planning officially to bring at least another 2 add to this that the SUV / CUV market continue booming, so why they will kill the Land Cruiser ?

It's completely a rumour or the next Sequoia will be a Land Cruiser version maybe a long wheelbase Land Cruiser or the land cruiser will be died as a model and born as a brand

lol, why would they "go out of NA" if they stop selling 250/mo of Land Cruisers that are special order?
LC's in NA make little sense since LX is similarly priced and much better value.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
you have a logic business point
but still no matter the business value it still got all Toyota heritage

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
you have a logic business point
but still no matter the business value it still got all Toyota heritage

i think instead of special order vehicle like LC, they should build up their 4x4 portfolio, likely what they will end up doing... LC at 80k makes almost no sense at all, it is useless for NA market...

There is no heritage story if you sell only 3k of them per year, it is just missed opportunity.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
That's what I think that the next Sequoia may tends to be a lot of LandCruiser by itself