Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
There have been rumors for years that dealers want more (cheaper) trim levels and options, like 4Runner: SR5, SR5 Premium, Off Road, Off Road Premium, 2 row version instead of standard 3 row, etc. I hope this comes true.

Another thing I was thinking about this weekend:

For a long time, Land Cruiser has been significantly more expensive than Expedition and Tahoe, like ~$20k spread. These days, Tahoe and Expedition have become so expensive (especially when equipped with luxury features similar to Land Cruiser), that the difference is less and less. Nicely equipped Expedition or Tahoe are $75-85k. Land Cruiser starts at $85k.

Makes me wonder how they will differentiate Land Cruiser and Sequoia, since those also have historically been priced very differently.

3 models with spread of $20k would do wonders for LC in the US, if that is their intention.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^To clarify, I meant that Land Cruiser has historically been ~$20k more expensive than Expedition and Tahoe, but it is not anymore. I am not sure how they would/could manage the trim levels and costs. There is about a $15k spread for 4Runner trims, so your guess of $20k for Land Cruiser would probably work very well.

Also, they should do Land Cruiser TRD Pro as flagship of TRD Pro line :p

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^To clarify, I meant that Land Cruiser has historically been ~$20k more expensive than Expedition and Tahoe, but it is not anymore. I am not sure how they would/could manage the trim levels and costs. There is about a $15k spread for 4Runner trims, so your guess of $20k for Land Cruiser would probably work very well.

Also, they should do Land Cruiser TRD Pro as flagship of TRD Pro line :p

As we can see with GX, people like seeing base trim with nice price, even if they end up buying more expensive one... so LC starting at $65k-$69k would be great for them.

But question ends up how it works for them money wise... do they make more money of GX at those prices and volumes?

Reactions
There's this guy on Instagram who seems to have quite a bit of insight to the future Land Cruiser. His profile name is hamad1two3. Is he credible?

He's been saying things this week like it's under development code "700b" and that there will be a minor refresh for 2020 and then 2.5 years later release the next generation. I used google translate on his saved IG stories, but I'm so new here I didn't want to post everything. So, I'm asking you guys if you think he's legit? He says he's getting this from a Japanese Magazine.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There's this guy on Instagram who seems to have quite a bit of insight to the future Land Cruiser. His profile name is hamad1two3. Is he credible?

He's been saying things this week like it's under development code "700b" and that there will be a minor refresh for 2020 and then 2.5 years later release the next generation. I used google translate on his saved IG stories, but I'm so new here I didn't want to post everything. So, I'm asking you guys if you think he's legit? He says he's getting this from a Japanese Magazine.

Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast! Hamad has been fairly consistent with leaks for Toyota BOF products, and I have also heard 2020 refresh for Land Cruiser/LX where they will receive minor equipment and sheetmetal changes, as well as V35A-FTS. Seems consistent.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Hmm... not sure how I missed this earlier.

49787816_603692633411271_5598049196746416940_n.jpg

49296896_2280561332227771_6735930717566744763_n.jpg

Other than this, I couldn't care less, as they've taken way too much time, because if the LS is any indication, LX still needs to turn a profit and they're not going to make it a Range Rover killer in the tech & lux department. It shouldn't take 15-17 years, something is being mismanaged badly.

Also, I don't really see any TLC 200 update like claimed, judging by the 2020 Land Cruiser HE nor do I see them wasting money on a refresh that will just last "2 years". Anything at this level, is a 3-4 year run from launch. Facelifts aren't free, they do cost serious money and for something like this, they would've committed to it 18-24 months before release.

An TLC facelift is signed-off with styling changes 1.5 years before launch, so I'm wondering when and if such a vehicle was approved and these "delays" would be a 1 year ago, not recent, in order to give lead time to engineer major updates. I'm not predicting anything anymore, as everything is too all over the place to know anything solid regarding the TNGA-F flagships.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Can the blacked out C (D?) pillar die now?

I like Toyota's blackout much better... gotta say only Rav4 version i consider is one with properly blacked out. I would not get regular one, way too blah.

Attachments

• 51168172_2061123503969385_5816195852695240704_o.jpg
    51168172_2061123503969385_5816195852695240704_o.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 7

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@Carmaker1 last i heard from jp mags is that it will be all new "tnga" based in 2020, how true is that I have absolutely no idea at all.
However, LX is a great seller for them, and it has kept outselling LS for many years now, I am confident they will give it everything.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The next LX/LC300 is like DOA for this combo
They need to be more different than each other and way more upscale than the current models

Donno how they will make it though

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Lexus SUV/CUV must be as follows:
*LX as Bentayga/GL/X7 competitor
*LQ as be Urus/future X8
*GX as GLE/X5/Q7/Cayenne
*GQ as GLE coupe/X6/Q8/Cayenne coupe
*RX as is 7 seaters and 5 seaters
*NX, UX as is
---------------------
All current Toyota & Lexus BOF SUV/Truck shall be under new brand which the name "Land Cruiser" will be perfect for this newly formed brand

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
that japanese car website had info on MMC for LC in July, but it has escaped my FB feed and cant find the name of website anymore :)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Other than this, I couldn't care less, as they've taken way too much time, because if the LS is any indication, LX still needs to turn a profit and they're not going to make it a Range Rover killer in the tech & lux department. It shouldn't take 15-17 years, something is being mismanaged badly.

What they did to their BoF lineup is a crime and I am happy to see them pay the price in slumping market share.

The offroad community in China will never forgive Toyota for pulling the LC200 out of the market and not giving us a worthy update to the Prado. And we are voting with our wallet.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30 , honestly agree
I felt that there's a hidden war between Akio and the toyo veterans,

The current LS and the deletion of the GS are clues about this as small battles they win versus the TNGA / production LC / Supra / 86 some gains for Akio

Hope Toyota open it's eyes and see the danger around it

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What they did to their BoF lineup is a crime and I am happy to see them pay the price in slumping market share.

The offroad community in China will never forgive Toyota for pulling the LC200 out of the market and not giving us a worthy update to the Prado. And we are voting with our wallet.

Their market share in BoF is up, basically they are only company investing in wide-range of BoF products throughout the world. Nissan and Mitsu have given up already, and americans are mostly in america.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , I agree and in the same time disagree, yes they have a very complete lineup but not promote it as good in every place they are in and you can find a total different lineup in 2 neighbore markets , even they're exactly the same

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , I agree and in the same time disagree, yes they have a very complete lineup but not promote it as good in every place they are in and you can find a total different lineup in 2 neighbore markets , even they're exactly the same

yeah, it depends on local distributors... but there is usually a good reason for everything. My old country where I was born has a lot higher percentage of LC150/200's sold vs its neighbour where I live... same distribution companies, same prices, just different markets with different needs.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, that's why I want all the BoF to be under only unique brand name, it will do magic to the sales numbers and even to the base MSRP of the vehicles