Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I’m not going to judge it too much. Every rendering on what people THINK it will look like is terrible, and the two latest spy shots don’t show much so I’ll just be patient and see what it looks like when they release the production model in April.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
oh my ....

looks like the landcruiser will live on thanks to a third facelift...

landcruiser is really immortal

Will1991

Reactions
IMG-20210126-004543-764.jpg

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
does anyone see anything interesting in text?

otherwise, I was never too impressed with LC200... feel like this one has to be big improvement.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
LX with 720B codename derived from LC300, coming 2022.

Damn it, why is Lexus ALWAYS at least a year behind Toyota? Is there a corporate rule that says 'no Lexus is not allowed to launch product in the same year'. Because I just don't see another reason Lexus cannot develop LX in parallel with LC300.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
LX with 720B codename derived from LC300, coming 2022.

Damn it, why is Lexus ALWAYS at least a year behind Toyota? Is there a corporate rule that says 'no Lexus is not allowed to launch product in the same year'. Because I just don't see another reason Lexus cannot develop LX in parallel with LC300.

I am hearing LX comes this year?

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
I guess Toyota is sorta/kinda a Beta/Pilot run for Lexus. I have no problems with Lexus being a year late than the Toyota counterpart. A mainstream buyer "might" be OK with small issues/quirkiness while a luxury buyer might not want to deal with that.

Will1991

Reactions
Well, if the LC300 isn’t getting the rumored new 14-inch infotainment, I’m not expecting for the Tundra to get it.
This is good news since the current 12.3inch is a good system but Lexus will get a better one to better suit it's premium status.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just my .02, but a 12.3" screen is really huge unless the entire interior is designed around it. For example, it looks foolish in the Highlander but was nicely integrated into the LS.

I'm not a "screen queen" but I just don't feel like more is always more. In this iteration, 12.3" looks fine. Another inch and a half seems hard to imagine, and would look tacky to me. This follows the lines of the dash below it, which I like.

Maybe Tundra will be better designed for the new screen?

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I just hope the tundra doesn’t have a tablet at all. I am much more a fan when it is integrated into the dash. The Camrys new floating screen isn’t bad but as mentioned the Highlander, RAV4 and Corolla are just way to tacky for my preference. I really like having it integrated and I hope the BOF vehicles from Toyota keep them integrated.

Reactions
In all, 689 people got the keys to new Land Cruisers last month, marking a 221 percent increase from January 2020, when 215 were sold. In December 2020, Toyota sold 606 Land Cruisers, a 68 percent increase. A Toyota spokesperson told C/D that the automaker had seen "increased customer interest and traffic to our dealers since our announcement that we’re discontinuing Land Cruiser sales in the U.S. after this model year."

Although we can’t say why all of those people decided to drop at least $87,030 on an SUV, when we learned of its being discontinued last December, we were disappointed, and it's fair to assume that many others were too. Perhaps these buyers wanted to get their hands on a V-8-powered Land Cruiser, a powertrain that would almost certainly be dropped if the Land Cruiser were to make a return to the U.S. "It's gone for 2022, but I think it'll be back soon, and way more modern and luxurious," our dealer source told us last year. If a return is in store for the Land Cruiser, a hybridized powertrain wouldn't be surprising.

Among those few hundred buyers are probably some who plan to let it collect dust and eventually sell it once gas-only powertrains have become just a relic. Or it could be that the procrastinators, realizing it was now or never, finally decided that now was the time to buy a Land Cruiser. One thing is for sure though: not enough people in the U.S. have been buying Land Cruisers over the past decade and many years before that. Only around 3000 were sold each year in the past 10 years, a paltry result in comparison to the nearly 100,000 4Runners sold, on average, since 2011.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It has no rear or front locking diff. Interesting to see if it gets IRS or SRA. Does not look much different from current Landcruiser, just updated.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Not much change in offroad systems it seems. MTS, A-TRAC with CRAWL control, full-time AWD with locking central diff but no locking front/rear diff, tank turn. Not that it needs more since the J200 was already like 15 years ahead of its time.

From the tachometer it seems this Russian-spec J300 still uses an old NA V8 engine with 5800rpm redline. If I recall correctly the V35 has a 6500rpm redline?