Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
The covered car looks higher than the rest , I hope the new LC don't get much bigger than the current one .

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Motor-1 & Autoweek have news on the LC300

The points in short

1) LandCruiser 300 will return to NA but after landing in all other markets

2) LandCruiser 300 will appear in April

3) LandCruiser 300 is same in size as 200

4) no V8, TTV6 instead

5) death of LX as BOF truck and the birth of LQ as unibody

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t understand why you all love to dream about the LX dying as a BOF SUV and becoming the LF-1.

Not.
Going.
To.
Happen.

PERIOD.

And can we also stop talking about “LQ”? We have known for months that has nothing to do with Lexus and is not the LF-1 Limitless.

Stop getting engulfed in random, uninformed internet troll rumor mills.

“Land Cruiser and LX 570 have been on the chopping block for some time.”

“The Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade have diminished the case for a Land Cruiser.”

^ actual quotes from the articles you are posting.

Come on.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I was just simplifying the points,
I know that even the LX turned to unibody it will still retain its name as I know that LQ is an electric concept by Toyota

I may only agree with them on all the point above except the LQ thing

I said a lot of times from 2 years nearly that 1 Russian dealer told me the next LandCruiser will be the most luxurious and I said this here a lot of times

So as a lot other articles and rumours that there will still be a subtle stripped versions from it

So that's the only case the top of the line LandCruiser 300 to be more luxurious than today LandCruiser 200 is simply by ditching the bof LX and make it unibody which I think it will be

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Dealers in the USA are begging for an even bigger LX and have been for 10 years. In the Middle East, LX sells the way it does because it is BOF... and I think it is the best selling Lexus model there. Russia is the same story: high demand because it is BOF, rugged and capable. Lexus has no premium RWD architecture to build an LX on. GA-L is a failure, so a theoretical unibody LX would probably be built on TNGA-K... so... Lexus version of the Highlander = LX? No.

For all of these reasons and more, there is no viable business case for a unibody LX right now, and we know the new LX is coming this year. Maybe next time around once/if Lexus can sort out a competitive, flexible RWD unibody platform? But also, probably not since Toyota is so heavily invested in large BOF vehicles and creating an LX from one of them is a minimal investment, comparatively.

The next gen Sequoia and LX will either be platform-mates or very closely related like the Land Cruiser and LX have historically been. This gives the LX the size and scaleability it needs as it evolves, so breaking it away from the Land Cruiser is actually a good thing. Lexus also has the 3-row TX coming, which will be something like the Lexus version of the Highlander, but that is not an "L" flagship vehicle.

Because GA-L is such a heavy and poorly packaged platform, what we thought LF-1 would be is most likely dead - replaced by what will become the FWD/3 row TX and TBD/midsize/electric RZ. Land Cruiser 300 can continue to sell as a up-spec full size luxury SUV in global markets without the Sequoia.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A unibody GA-L SUV will likely weigh over 2400kg (LS AWD is almost 2300kg). Sequoia weighs 2600kg but TNGA-F will likely save 100kg across the lineup. That means a unibody LX will be barely lighter than a BOF version, plus it will have less interior space.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A unibody GA-L SUV will likely weigh over 2400kg (LS AWD is almost 2300kg). Sequoia weighs 2600kg but TNGA-F will likely save 100kg across the lineup. That means a unibody LX will be barely lighter than a BOF version, plus it will have less interior space.

I think you shared the original article, but the more I thought about those rumors of GA-L/GA-N being seen internally as failures, the more sense it makes. Just as the rumor stated, they are way too heavy and too poorly packaged -- and probably too expensive. It does not make much more sense to iterate on those platforms, which could very well be why LF-1 has not come to market, even now 3+ years later.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Dealers in the USA are begging for an even bigger LX and have been for 10 years. In the Middle East, LX sells the way it does because it is BOF... and I think it is the best selling Lexus model there. Russia is the same story: high demand because it is BOF, rugged and capable. Lexus has no premium RWD architecture to build an LX on. GA-L is a failure, so a theoretical unibody LX would probably be built on TNGA-K... so... Lexus version of the Highlander = LX? No.

LX will stay BOF for sure, just like LC300 will.

And yes, LX is really successful, and last time we had numbers, it outsold GL globally, despite being really expensive. That is not going to change anytime soon.

As to the packaging of GA platforms, it is basically how they set the priorities for each car. CHR has really "poor" packaging but for reasons it is poorly packaged - looks and suspension, it is really successful vehicle. On same platform, Corolla Cross looks like crap and rides on torsion beam rear suspension but it is really successful in some countries because... it has huge amount of space in the back and biggest trunk in class (CHR has tiny trunk).

Anyway, this is LC300 thread and as a vehicle, global LC200 was never built with US in mind, so if they want something that sells a lot, then they will have to do US specific version.

For Europe, it is different story, current V8 cant be sold anyway due to emissions in 2021... will they do hybrid in Europe? They probably will in countries they can still drive such huge vehicles and not get taxed out of market.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
we can't guess. remember how "Ferrari Dino" turned out to be "Maserati MC20" and "Maserati Alfieri" turned out to be "Ferrari Roma".

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So o hope everything becoming clear with the end of this year

As the first half we shall see the LC300 and in the mid of the year we shall see the Tundra and in the end of the year we shall see the LX as 2022 model year

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
we can't guess. remember how "Ferrari Dino" turned out to be "Maserati MC20" and "Maserati Alfieri" turned out to be "Ferrari Roma".

Not quite.. the Ferrari Roma is just a coupe on the Portofino platform, and the MC20 was originally Alfa Romeo's 8C that was revealed in roadmaps. Once the 8C project was handed over to Maserati in 2019 and the 4C-based prototypes were revealed, this is when the Alfieri was basically killed off.

Edit: Correction, looking at 2018-2022 roadmaps, I believe the Aflieri became the Gran Turismo.

Last edited:

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
I think the LC300 & the LX 600 will be on the same body on frame platform , the only difference is the LC will use a rear live axle and an independent rear suspension for the LX .

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Not quite.. the Ferrari Roma is just a coupe on the Portofino platform, and the MC20 was originally Alfa Romeo's 8C that was revealed in roadmaps. Once the 8C project was handed over to Maserati in 2019 and the 4C-based prototypes were revealed, this is when the Alfieri was basically killed off.

Edit: Correction, looking at 2018-2022 roadmaps, I believe the Aflieri became the Gran Turismo.

That was a way of saying it. But I think each brand develops its portfolio with regard to sister brands. For Alfa an 8C will not fo much business wise, Giulia and Stelivio QV are sufficient for halo models. With Giulietta gone, they need the Tonal. Alfierie and Granturismo are too similar/redundant, a mid rear proper sportscar makes more sense also from a marketing perspective, this also allows Ferrari not to go downmarket. The FF/GTC4 is to be replaced by a CUV, and with NA V12 leaving place to TTV8 (both engines available with the GranLusso), this leaves a void in the GT 2+2 category with previously the 456 GT and 612 Scaglietti, the Roma brings those cars back.

Rebadging every car (VW) is no more the right strategy, even they are changing.

Will1991

Reactions
43BD8598-9A72-4B7F-BA6E-E8B6A2632797.jpeg

Captura.png

It doesn't seem all that different.

a5bab777cab941c045dba4d7f1966ff7.jpg