Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Apparently not, as the Google Translation of a MagX article says that, "...although it was originally planned to appear this summer, it will take time to redesign the exterior and check the reliability of the powertrain, so the debut in spring 2021 is currently planned...

By the way, this Landcruiser 300 was planed to be launched this summer. But due to redesigning the exterior and further develop of the powertrains, it is now delayed until next spring".

The article also states that the Land Cruiser 300 will offer a diesel option in the Japanese market.

was LC300 really supposed to be launched this summer though? If anything, covid-19 would have changed that. Same as with Sienna.
Nobody should launch a new worldwide vehicle in next 6-10 months if they have any smarts in them.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
was LC300 really supposed to be launched this summer though? If anything, covid-19 would have changed that. Same as with Sienna.
Nobody should launch a new worldwide vehicle in next 6-10 months if they have any smarts in them.

I always thought the 300 was held off till the economy took a downturn and bottomed out. Same with the trucks. This way Toyota built out of the downturn and could only go up....they seem to be sitting pretty right now with their delayed trucks and body on frame SUVs. I agree. Nobody should launch a new vehicle for at least 6 months.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The rumored Land Cruiser 300 launch schedule has moved up and down so much that it's hard to keep track. Based primarily on information @Carmaker1 has posted on here, LC 300 was originally expected to launch within the 2020 calendar year (2021 MY), then pushed back to somewhere between the 2022 model year and April-June 2022 (2023 model year). Then came the Japanese media reports suggesting an August 2020 start of production which is now reportedly Spring 2021.

With Sienna, it's just been a matter of straight delays. It was originally expected to debut at 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show and to begin production on March 2, 2020. Then predicted to enter production on July 2020 for a late August or September 2020 on-sale date. Now further delayed to ordering beginning in July, Job 1 to September 2020, for November launch. Public debut was expected at the 2020 New York Auto Show, itself delayed from mid-April to late August.

As you correctly note, the Covid-19 pandemic may cause further delays and changed plans. For one, I give the New York Show less than 50/50 odds of actually happening in 2020, given that the Jacob Javits Center show venue is being used as an emergency overflow hospital facility for Covid-19 cases. Although I can't find the source, I vaguely recall reading that this was happening under a 6-month contract that ends right around the rescheduled auto show starting date. And the prior major public event on the U.S. automotive calendar, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in mid-August has already been cancelled.

Will1991

Reactions
I know this is going a bit off-topic, but I think is worth the share:

95336868_738366130303940_686423953874354176_o.jpg

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
An Automotive News interview with newly-minted Toyota USA CEO Ted Ogawa (the subject of a recent Lexus Enthusiast news story ) also includes this passage on Land Cruiser in the USA:

"Ogawa is product-focused in conversation — he says he and his colleagues "have some alternatives on how to retain the Land Cruiser nameplate" in the Toyota lineup (in North America)..."
The above-referenced Automotive News interview with newly-minted Toyota USA CEO Ted Ogawa (dated 30 March 2020) was actually a summary of the full 9 March interview. The full interview finally appears in the publication (and is the subject of a separate Lexus Enthusiast forums thread). It includes an expanded statement on the future of Land Cruiser in North America:

Do you continue to see a place for the Land Cruiser in the U.S., or is it bumping into Lexus?
The Toyota dealers strongly want the nameplate of Land Cruiser, but we have not decided yet. We have some alternatives on how to retain the Land Cruiser nameplate.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Sounds like Toyota is going to use the Land Cruiser name as a trim line of their North American built models...I just pray that the 4Runner stays "made in Japan"

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The info is incomplete. Can draw no conclusions. If it only concerns the US, and LC is not sold, only rebadged LX, so the LX is not an LF1 or Escalade fighter.

Only in stupid US and EU can they stop selling the LC, because of the customer's ignorance. In the rest of the world LC is a dream car, for all, also the thugs and warlords.

Reactions
The info is incomplete. Can draw no conclusions. If it only concerns the US, and LC is not sold, only rebadged LX, so the LX is not an LF1 or Escalade fighter.

Only in stupid US and EU can they stop selling the LC, because of the customer's ignorance. In the rest of the world LC is a dream car, for all, also the thugs and warlords.
Customer's ignorance? From a marketing perspective, the customer had a choice of either the Lexus or Toyota, with the Lexus being a few thousand bucks more. Luxury customers don't care as much about the 'heritage' thing that the LC was, which the enthusiasts know about. They care more about being pampered, and that was why the Lexus LX was more successful than the Land Cruiser.

If you want to point fingers, its Toyota USA. Our LCs didn't need to have all that luxury, because that was the LX's job. Toyota Australia had it better than we did, because they still get the older LC79? and more basic versions of the LC that were more true to its roots.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
no it's only cancelled from NA and we knew this from 2019

so nothing new here out of NA the LC300 will appear normally
they are selling tons of LC200 in AUS/NZ , Russia , Arab Gulf nearly half a million between 350k to 500k of LC200 sold annually which is around 5% of total sale and in same time high profit margin

in NA the next LX will take the Role of both LX and LC200
while the next generation Prado will take the role of the GX, 4Runner and Prado
and then the next generation 4Runner can be free to be a bronco / wrangler competitor

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Customer's ignorance? From a marketing perspective, the customer had a choice of either the Lexus or Toyota, with the Lexus being a few thousand bucks more. Luxury customers don't care as much about the 'heritage' thing that the LC was, which the enthusiasts know about. They care more about being pampered, and that was why the Lexus LX was more successful than the Land Cruiser.

If you want to point fingers, its Toyota USA. Our LCs didn't need to have all that luxury, because that was the LX's job. Toyota Australia had it better than we did, because they still get the older LC79? and more basic versions of the LC that were more true to its roots.

In Europe it is ignorance. One construction companty owner owner I worked with loves Land Cruisers. He has an FJ40 and is on his second J200. His employees said he was stupid to spend 90K for a Toyota, he could get a better car for even less like an X5. That is by the way what his secretary drives. The X5 would never do what he does with the LC. He pulled the Mercedes Sprinter I stuck once, while the Man truck failed, the chain broke. He also has a VW Transport that cost 60K. No one said overpriced.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The U.S. is the only market where the LC200 failed because of the LX. In other markets BOTH sell very well. I have to agree with the idea that the GX and Sequoia further complicated the matter in USA. Toyota simply can't sell a more barebones LC200 because it will again be cannabalized by these two. The GX and Sequoia are so rare out of USA that they don't threaten the LC200.

Current U.S. LC200 buyers are more than happy to pay a bit more for a Lexus badge. It's just that simple.

American buyers have a LOT of Toyota trucks to choose from and that's a good thing for them. I'd say don't be too upset with this and just hope the FJ70 successor will go to USA.

Also I agree the J200 is the toughest civilian BOF truck ever built by Toyota, and that's including the J70. At same GVM a J200 tends to be a bit more reliable than the J70, but J70 overland builds are more common because the empty weight is 500kg lighter so it could take way more mods than the J200.

Reactions
Wait but isn't the US still getting the Land Cruiser? I heard so many scoops that the new Land Cruiser will go back to its roots to being a crazy off-roader and not a luxury car with off-roading capabilities.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Current U.S. LC200 buyers are more than happy to pay a bit more for a Lexus badge. It's just that simple.

Not really. Especially since the 200 series, there has been a good bit of differentiation among Land Cruiser and LX buyers here in the USA.

Land Cruiser buyer: values quality and longevity over luxury, usually tows, often has a (second) home "in the mountains" or similar and truly needs the 4x4 utility, they usually buy the car and keep it to 250k miles or beyond.

LX buyer: status-driven, more concerned with image and design vs. utility, many are leased, prioritizes big wheels and big grills, seen most often in the suburbs and wealthy neighborhoods.

LX is actually a turnoff for most Land Cruiser buyers because of the big wheels, flashy design and delicate interior... if they are spending $90k on a a Land Cruiser, they can certainly spend $95k on an LX. They choose not to.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With the current state of the market, not having an FJ Cruiser or Land Cruiser feels like a big mistake to me. I know 4k sales a year isn't much, but a big chunk of the half million people a year who buy 4Runners, Tacomas and Tundras all aspire to own a Land Cruiser and it is really Toyota's only halo vehicle at this point.

Here's the question though: Let's think for a minute about a next gen 4Runner and Sequoia, and then think about Trail, TRD Off Road and TRD PRO versions, probably with the V35A-FTS. Do we still need the Land Cruiser? (I'll always say yes, but outside of being an enthusiast, it's hard to justify.)

I've said for many years that I think offering cheaper trims of the Land Cruiser name and discontinuing the Sequoia name plate - even if relatively the same vehicle in execution - would have been a much wiser plan.

In the age of the Bronco, Wrangler, and "offroad everything", and no FJ Cruiser, the rumors about the Land Cruiser being a 2 row, "return to roots" off-road vehicle made a lot of sense. Changing the 4Runner to be that formula would be a stupid move because what it is - midsize, civil, comfortable, but still off-roadable - has always worked. The 4Runner's future has always been in flux until the major swing towards SUVs around 2014, so I assume Toyota wanted to kill one or the other. Hard to justify the Land Cruiser with the 4Runner's volume.

Now it's just:
C-HR
Corolla Cross
RAV4
Venza
Highlander
4Runner
Sequoia

😭

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yes they need a new FJ and a J70 wagon successor. The J70 can't go on forever because emissions.

The 4Runner/LCP will keep growing in size. They are already similar to J80. Next-gen will probably grow to J100 size.

Toyota's future BOF line really is anyone's guess because of consolidation of four platform into a common TNGA-F.

Last edited:
Reactions
I would wait until Toyota released a public statement.

If trump enters his 2nd term, there will be likely a decrease in emission standards. Therefore, a higher chance of the LC living.
I believe that Toyota will wait until this election is over to decide to make the announcement.
However, a new LC coming out now will NOT meet its 25 service life goal standards.
Everything is going BEV whereas toyota is pushing Hydrogen.

Lose Lose imho