2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Yeah the GR86 is so impressively refined and improved over the GT86, only major thing I really dislike about it is the pumped in audio.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Since we know the G16E-GTS can be converted for longitudinal use (the Super Taikyu GR86 has a de-stroked 1.4L), I wonder if a GRMN version can get that engine. 268PS for GR86 is a lot of power considering its weight. As a side effect it would also have better fuel economy and emissions compliance.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Since we know the G16E-GTS can be converted for longitudinal use (the Super Taikyu GR86 has a de-stroked 1.4L), I wonder if a GRMN version can get that engine. 268PS for GR86 is a lot of power considering its weight. As a side effect it would also have better fuel economy and emissions compliance.
And better weight distribution. And tuned it could make +400 PS. But also turbo lag.

Reactions

CoG?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Inline engines can always be slanted. The Supra has lower CoG than 86. If CoG was such a big problem they wouldn't race it with G"14"E-GTS.

The G16 is almost 50kg lighter than FA24 so it not only makes 86 even lighter it also improves weight distribution. I think that's a better argument compared to the CoG.

Will1991

Reactions
@ssun30 the main issue should be convincing Subaru to build it… Without the boxer engine, Subaru input might be residual…
Even the majority of patents and trademarks have been applied by Toyota, not Subaru…

That G16 engine would also help with lower taxes, a lot of Europe applies taxes on displacement.

Reactions
@ssun30 the main issue should be convincing Subaru to build it… Without the boxer engine, Subaru input might be residual…
Even the majority of patents and trademarks have been applied by Toyota, not Subaru…

That G16 engine would also help with lower taxes, a lot of Europe applies taxes on displacement.

Maybe Subaru will be out of the picture in the foreseeable future.

Reactions
Inline engines can always be slanted. The Supra has lower CoG than 86. If CoG was such a big problem they wouldn't race it with G"14"E-GTS.

The G16 is almost 50kg lighter than FA24 so it not only makes 86 even lighter it also improves weight distribution. I think that's a better argument compared to the CoG.
Fair argument.

Reactions

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Car "news" isn't that distinguishable from tabloids these days. Literally every day a car leaves a garage with a bad repair that leads to catastrophic failure. Unless it is a trend, like the NG repair to the gen 1 twins that plugged an oil passage when replacing a timing chain cover, it's just a thing that happens somewhat regularly.