2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Speaking of Sebring, Toyota got shafted so hard with the recent BOP updates, I mean they at least got a 2nd place but IMO Toyota's Hypercar is just too different from its other competitors that the BOP simulator in its current state can't actually work properly to balance out the performance of these cars, Toyota will either still have a big advantage over its competitors during race day or they will get absolutely crippled by BOP.

BTW, where the hell are the other hybrid Hypercar competitors, so muck talk and promises yet none has joined or return to this racing series yet, empty pockets?

Reactions
Speaking of Sebring, Toyota got shafted so hard with the recent BOP updates, I mean they at least got a 2nd place but IMO Toyota's Hypercar is just too different from its other competitors that the BOP simulator in its current state can't actually work properly to balance out the performance of these cars, Toyota will either still have a big advantage over its competitors during race day or they will get absolutely crippled by BOP.

BTW, where the hell are the other hybrid Hypercar competitors, so muck talk and promises yet none has joined or return to this racing series yet, empty pockets?

Toyota mostly definitely has been shafted by the BoP regulations. However, Toyota will continue to win, but will use these races as a way to gather more data and they'll wipe the floor with everyone else in the future.

Peugeot was supposed to start their hypercar program this year. Then they said they'll start from Le Mans, then they said they can't do Le Mans but WILL race this season.

Porsche will field their LMDh car in 2023. Ferrari will field their hypercar in 2023. Next year we'll have Toyota, Glickenhaus, Porsche, Peugeot, Ferrari, Alpine.

Alpine will actually build their own LMDh in 2024. You'll then have Lamborghini, Cadillac, BMW, ByKolles (hypercar), and even Lexus join around that time or later with their LMDh's. I definitely have missed some (I know Audi won't be coming for some time, they may even cancel their project for F1, just like how Aston-Martin ditched F1 last minute).

Reactions
At this point a GR86 would be easier to buy than any GR Corolla. They fixed the little issues that first car had especially the power.

The GR Supra and GR Corolla are hella hard to buy at the moment. The former has been knocking sales targets out of the park and the manual has made people lose their minds and the latter just shattered automotive internet.

The GR86 is so damn good but it's the one that's the most attainable here. Crazy.

I honestly love all 3. They all have their place in the lineup, and Toyota flexing the way they are is so hot. 🔥🔥

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Earns IIHS' Top Safety Pick+ award.
Some normie pleb out there will probably still claim that sPoRtS cArS aRe DaNgErOuS or whatever kind of BS they'll spew out of their mouths as they drive down the road in their cheaply thrown together crossover with an overinflated price tag.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Earns IIHS' Top Safety Pick+ award.
Some normie pleb out there will probably still claim that sPoRtS cArS aRe DaNgErOuS or whatever kind of BS they'll spew out of their mouths as they drive down the road in their cheaply thrown together crossover with an overinflated price tag.

I love small, light sporty cars as much as anyone -- I had an FR-S the same time my wife was daily driving a superchargered, 6MT, LSD equipped MINI Cooper S. Small and light is 100% in my wheelhouse. These modern sports cars clearly have well designed cages and crumple zones. That crash test is into a solid object at 40mph, though. At some point, the real world steps in and I'm not just at risk of running into an object at 40mph. I'm out there dicing it up with 6000lb Ram 3500s with a 6" lift piloted by a distracted driver that never took HS physics. I'm not saying that no one should buy these cars... but one shouldn't look at these crash test results and assume all is equal.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I always have to ask how do these superior small cars perform against mediocre/outdated large BOF vehicles? Its a point of contention on forums that BOF will always reign superior, and from the pictures of accidents BOFs usually seem to come out unscathed while unibody vehicles even at low speed suffer some heavy damage.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That Japanese acceleration channel compares the two generations. Not even close. Fixing that torque curve really is all it takes.
ACC.png

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Basically, perfect scores from all of them.