2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wish Toyota had a flexible sports car platform that could accommodate something like GR86, Supra and RC, maybe even stretched a tad to underpin the IS. Platform engineering a Supra and RC together like ES/Avalon or Highlander/RX would be a cool way to save money and keep the Supra as a Toyota product.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I wish Toyota had a flexible sports car platform that could accommodate something like GR86, Supra and RC, maybe even stretched a tad to underpin the IS. Platform engineering a Supra and RC together like ES/Avalon or Highlander/RX would be a cool way to save money and keep the Supra as a Toyota product.
The Toyota/Lexus engineers watching this forum be like:
1617209935009.png
But in all seriousness, Toyota has had modular platforms (I remember the K platform and N platform that underpinned many mainstream vehicles in the early 2000s/2010s), and has been continued with the introduction of TNGA platforms. I am surprised too that they don't have a modular platform for sports cars (would the N platform count?). Would an argument against a modular sports car platform be that the sports cars would be too similar/share the same character? I know that the GR86 and Supra currently use different engine types (boxer vs. inline 6), so I was wondering if a modular platform could account for such differences? Though I know vehicles can be differentiated through tuning various components differently, I was wondering if starting from the same basis could lead to too much similarity?
(I'm not an engineer so please bear with my naivety)

Will1991

Reactions
@b.ba considering Toyota's G16E-GTS (GR Yaris engine) produces significantly more powerful and lighter than the FA24 from the 2nd gen BRZ, I’m guessing it wouldn’t to change it…

And Toyota could use a modular design to do a “G32” for the Supra/RC/IS.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Toyota/Lexus engineers watching this forum be like:
View attachment 4731
But in all seriousness, Toyota has had modular platforms (I remember the K platform and N platform that underpinned many mainstream vehicles in the early 2000s/2010s), and has been continued with the introduction of TNGA platforms. I am surprised too that they don't have a modular platform for sports cars (would the N platform count?). Would an argument against a modular sports car platform be that the sports cars would be too similar/share the same character? I know that the GR86 and Supra currently use different engine types (boxer vs. inline 6), so I was wondering if a modular platform could account for such differences? Though I know vehicles can be differentiated through tuning various components differently, I was wondering if starting from the same basis could lead to too much similarity?
(I'm not an engineer so please bear with my naivety)

I'm with you 100%. I have to think that through engine selection, suspension tuning, styling and material choices and physical size, there's plenty of opportunity to differentiate something like a small and midsize sports car (GR 86 and Supra). However, the use case for them is so minuscule that I understand partnering with other manufacturers to make it happen. Some folks here have mentioned an A100 Supra... based on sales figures, I doubt BMW is going to revisit the Z4, so what will Toyota use? The same platform again, but go it alone? Having a hard time seeing how an A100 Supra will come to life without BMW.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

252RFCC.png

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Modular platforms are not optimal for sports cars because changing the wheelbase-to-track ratio significantly impacts handling dynamics. Stretching the platform makes the car sluggish, shrinking the platform makes the car unstable. Not to mention all those sports cars are in completely different budget and weight classes so material cost matters. For example you don't need the rigidity to handle 500hp for a 86 that has half the power and one third the price.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Start building sports cars based on platforms shared across cars of different segments and you'll end up with something like the 350Z and 370Z, they look like sports cars but the way they handle is kinda meh.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Start building sports cars based on platforms shared across cars of different segments and you'll end up with something like the 350Z and 370Z, they look like sports cars but the way they handle is kinda meh.
Turns out the best handling car on that platform is the FX/QX70.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Reveal happening soon.. it just hit me the Subaru reveal will most likely just be the Japanese market BRZ reveal since it's being advertised, and was only initially revealed for NA market.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

2022-toyota-86.jpg

Reactions
I will say, I was shocked to see that the GR86 was only revealed, because the hype surrounding this announcement would suggest something else especially when the BRZ was revealed before.

But you know what, who cares. I'm excited, and I am looking forward to see what these two manufacturers do together.

Also, 1.1 seconds faster to 60 mph. Impressive.