2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Matte black one driving around in Japan.

Eoc8mTJU8AIzxDt

Will1991

Reactions
Did you know, Toyota developed a BEV 86?

"I once had the opportunity to ride in an BEV edition of the 86, and was asked what I thought of it. My impression at the time was, “It feels like an electric car.”"

Source: https://toyotatimes.jp/en/insidetoyota/045.html

I'm really into BEV's as a daily driver, but sports cars?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
BEVs are easily as fast if not faster than ICE sportscars. A BEV sportscar makes sense, even if heavier than ICE version, still lighter than other BEVs. And for those that daily drive a sportscar...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BEVs are easily as fast if not faster than ICE sportscars. A BEV sportscar makes sense, even if heavier than ICE version, still lighter than other BEVs. And for those that daily drive a sportscar...
The problem is performance consistency. BEV batteries could only sustain max C-rate for a limited period of time (usually 30 seconds). Modern BMS automatically limits C-rate and available SOC to protect the batteries from user abuse. Over time the battery will lose capacity much faster for uninformed owners. All BEVs are meant to be driven at below 1C.
ICE performance cars also overheat if the manufacturer cheaps out on cooling, but the bottleneck is usually transmission/diff not engine.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Could the 2nd gen 86 become "Celica?"

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly do we have a confirmation that the 86 will be identical in body shape and interior as the previous

Is there an official confirmation or we are just hinting due to the previous gen?

Will1991

Reactions
@maiaramdan, GR86 has been spied:

2022-Subaru-BRZ-2.jpg

So yes, it's basically the same with a new front bumper. A better one in my opinion.

I'm seeing this new 86/BRZ as a deeper facelift than a all new model.

Will1991

Reactions
Good news for the GR86:

"
Initially, 86 was scheduled to be fully remodeled by the end of this year as well as BRZ, but information that is important has come in here.

President Akio Toyoda ordered the new 86 development team to "differentiate itself from BRZ in terms of performance." In response to this, it is almost certain that the new 86 will be released next year.

This time, toyota and Subaru will jointly develop the new 86 and BRZ on the same line. However, it is said that the development team is struggling against the unexpected "difficult problem" imposed by President Akio.
"

Source: https://bestcarweb.jp/news/260678

Looking forward to this, to see what Toyota will do to make it perform better than the Subaru.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Maybe, Performance will be the first step in differentiating between the twins

The next generation maybe they will have 2 different designs also !

Last edited: