2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Got it
Thanks for this info
So we may see a batch of Subaru cars with Toyota hybrid synergy as Suzuki

Will1991

Reactions
Here it is!

image.png

Subaru-BRZ-Leak-02.jpg

Subaru-BRZ-Leak-03.jpg

Mini RCF side profile? :)

Subaru-BRZ-Leak-04.jpg

2015-Lexus-RC-F-side-profile.jpg

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Last edited:
Reactions
I truly like this car. Almost 230 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque with only a 17 lb weight gain in the manual model? Impressive.

Also take note of this. Peak torque is delivered at 3700 RPM, while the old one was at 6400 RPM. There should be a way smaller, if not non-existent torque dip now. The interior looks solid as well. The only thing that's a massive put off is that fat bezel around the infotainment screen.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I truly like this car. Almost 230 horsepower and 186 lb-ft of torque with only a 17 lb weight gain in the manual model? Impressive.

Also take note of this. Peak torque is delivered at 3700 RPM, while the old one was at 6400 RPM. There should be a way smaller, if not non-existent torque dip now. The interior looks solid as well. The only thing that's a massive put off is that fat bezel around the infotainment screen.
This is how the power and torque curves look like, really broad and flat unlike the FA20, it's powerband seems even wider than the 2.0L in the ND2 MX-5 which is awesome!

Honestly the more I look into the FA engine family, the more I feel like the FA20 whether it's the NA or the turbo is just a test bed for the FA24, Prime Motoring was able to push an almost stock FA24(they threw in camshafts from the WRX) to power levels so high that the FA20 will need to be fully rebuild with upgraded rods, pistons, head studs and valve springs just to reach that power level while producing a lot less low end and mid range torque.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-064125_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-064125_YouTube.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 0

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The problem with gen1 86/BRZ is not power to weight ratio but that very hard to use torque band. I expect the FA24 to have way more mid-range torque than the FA20.

Also funny to see the press release say the BRZ does not sacrifice comfort, when it is the most uncomfortable road legal car that's not a track special. The MX-5 feels much more livable.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I just can't figure it out: does the new BRZ have the a lower height door window or is it the same window as old BRZ? The new one does give an impression of narrower window/higher belt line, but I am not sure if it really is.

Can't decide if I like or not. The interior though is a clear and satisfactory upgrade, while remaining lightweight.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Sitting all these days when I have time, looking at old and new BRZ. Can't decide stylingwise which I like better, and what doesn't make the new BRZ perfect.

The good thing in any case is that the new one is like the old, not worse, which also means the old one is so great, that there is not much if anything to improve.