2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

supra93

Expert
Reactions

Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 due in fourth quarter of 2021

Despite earlier reports suggesting the all-new sports car could arrive by mid-2021, CarAdvice now understands the twins could arrive in the latter half of next year.

The much-anticipated 2021 Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 coupes are expected to be in Australian showrooms at the end of of 2021.

CarAdvice understands no firm date has yet been given to local dealerships, however there is an internal expectation that – if all goes to plan – the new models will begin arriving during the fourth quarter of 2021, some six months after the model was initially expected.

No offical reason has been given for the presumed delay, however the development of several other Toyota and Subaru models have been similarly affected by slowdowns caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Last month the car was spied testing near Toyota's research and development centre in Michigan, with much clearer spy shots emerging only days later.

The current generation models are built at Subaru's assembly plant in Japan, and feature a naturally-aspirated 2.0-litre boxer engine producing 152kW and 212Nm.

Subaru and Toyota have maintained they are looking to increase the power output for the new model, however there has been much speculation about what specific powertrain will be used.

Earlier this month CarAdvice reported that the car could get a naturally aspirated variant of the 2.4-litre FA24 boxer engine (shared with the 2021 Subaru Outback), however other reports have suggested the powertrain could be turbocharged.

It will likely be offered with a choice of six-speed manual transmission or an eight-speed torque-converter automatic.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Looks like Subaru is debuting the new BRZ this fall, wonder if they will debut it with Toyota or if they will be debuted separately?

Attachments

• 9E0C38AE-411D-4BBD-986D-4F83C0B0E530.jpeg
    9E0C38AE-411D-4BBD-986D-4F83C0B0E530.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 0

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Omg finally something going on, also why no one seems to be discussing about the spy shots of the next-gen WRX? Not even on all the popular WRX forums.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The new car has some cues from the Subaru Cross Sport Concpet (lifted shooting brake that I love). Hopefully it get that interior too.

I don't like the GT86 interior with Porsche 911 layout. Hope they change more than on new IS where barely anything was changed. I'd like a new layout.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Old spy pics, but it was benchmarking against the A110 and Miata.

subaru-brz-3.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What is the latest expectation on the motor(s)... or do we know? I haven't heard anything.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I really think this is on par with Lexus did to the 3.5IS.
But if IS 500 comes, it gets more power, so BRZ also should get more power. And IS already had a nice interior, BRZ is rather on the cheap side.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
No plans" to bring 2021 Subaru BRZ to Europe

Subaru has officially confirmed that the next-gen BRZ sports car will be unveiled on 18 November, but it won't be coming to Europe.

A spokesperson told Autocar that the coupé will be a US-only model and that there are "no plans" to launch it in Europe, as is the case with Nissan's similarly positioned new 400Z.