2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

Reactions
Working vents. What is your excuse Zupra? 😜🤣

vent02.png

vent01.png

*sigh* :(

Literally all of the vents could have been functional. Including the door vents too. I literally have no clue why they chose to plug those vents. Though I have to admit, looking at those two pictures it definitely looks like the GR Supra has way bigger openings in the front grille and the ones that are blocked off can be opened again because of the high ceiling the GR Supra has. I just hate the fake vents. They look so horrid. Heck if they thought if it was too much cooling to have some of the areas open just don't have any openings at all.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Like the 'new' IS, the new 86 changes alot of sheet metal and glass!!!

As you can see in this comparison, the car has a higher belt line with a lower side glass to metal ratio. Rear side window and door window are different. We se the A pillar has is the same, but the door metal is higher and reaches that lower A pillar joint. The fener has a different shape, is higher, and so the hood which goes over the wiper blades. The new 86 looks Aston Martin-ish, RC/LC-ish, more mature, less funky, more boring, but I prefer.

2012-subaru-brz-coupe-spy-shots_100366512_h.jpg

SubaruBRZ.g05.KGP_.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Now, I wonder how GR Yaris and GR 86 will be placed in the portfolio price wise. There is also the Supra I4. The GR Yaris being manual and AWD, I do see them cross-shopped.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
Although I don't see this happening: It would be cool if one had a high(er) revving N/A 2.4L and the other having the 2.0 or 1.8 turbo making the same power. This would set the two cars apart and give buyers the choice of N/A or turbo.

Any chance that the GR86 receives the G16e since it pays homage to the 4a-ge? This would definitely set apart the GR86 and 4 cylinder Supra

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Any chance that the GR86 receives the G16e since it pays homage to the 4a-ge? This would definitely set apart the GR86 and 4 cylinder Supra
The G16E engine may not fit in the BRZ/GT86. The BRZ/GT86 is a Subaru car, engineered to have a flat, low-slung, horizontally-opposed H4 engine; the low hood is evidence of that, and the vertically-oriented G16E engine may not fit unless the next-generation model is re-engineered to fit both a flat H4 and tall I3 or I4 engine.

The G16E-GTS engine in the GR Yaris is also a transverse-mounted (laying side-to-side rather than fore-and-aft) engine so Toyota would have to find RWD transmissions (manual and automatic) to fit the G16E in the RWD BRZ/GT86. I don't know if Toyota has such transmissions readily available.

Yes, the G16E-GTS does drive an AWD drivetrain but it is a transverse-mounted, FWD-based drivetrain. This FWD-based AWD drivetrain would not fit. The engine sits in front of the front axle; the car would be front-heavy and the hood would have to be very high to allow clearance. This would ruin the BRZ/GT86 as we know it.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
The G16E engine may not fit in the BRZ/GT86. The BRZ/GT86 is a Subaru car, engineered to have a flat, low-slung, horizontally-opposed H4 engine; the low hood is evidence of that, and the vertically-oriented G16E engine may not fit unless the next-generation model is re-engineered to fit both a flat H4 and tall I3 or I4 engine.

The G16E-GTS engine in the GR Yaris is also a transverse-mounted (laying side-to-side rather than fore-and-aft) engine so Toyota would have to find RWD transmissions (manual and automatic) to fit the G16E in the RWD BRZ/GT86. I don't know if Toyota has such transmissions readily available.

Yes, the G16E-GTS does drive an AWD drivetrain but it is a transverse-mounted, FWD-based drivetrain. This FWD-based AWD drivetrain would not fit. The engine sits in front of the front axle; the car would be front-heavy and the hood would have to be very high to allow clearance. This would ruin the BRZ/GT86 as we know it.

I would to start off by saying that rotating the engine to mount longitudinally is a given and there is no reason to even address that the G16e currently mounts transversely here. This is Toyota we are talking about here and if they can put the same V6s in FWD minivans and RWD coupes and 4 cylinders in rear engine cars and sports sedans, I don't see why they wouldn't do that here.

It would probably need a tilt to fit under the hood. The Supra has a low center of gravity even with a tall motor, if Toyota did the work they said they did on the Supra, why wouldn't they apply what they learned developing the Supra's platform here?

As for transmissions, why can't they use the current transmission? They built a bellhousing for it to mate to the FA20, why not the G16e?

Nothing of what you said takes away from the possibility of a G16e 86. (Can we appreciate the irony here? The Supra can't use a V6, even though it benefits CoG and weight distribution, because it has to have an inline 6 for heritage reasons. Yet, the 86 doesn't use the motor that pays homage to it's spiritual predecessor for the CoG benefits of a flat 4. Toyota make up your mind, what do you want to emphasize, driver feel or heritage?)

Last edited:
Reactions
I would to start off by saying that rotating the engine to mount longitudinally is a given and there is no reason to even address that the G16e currently mounts transversely here. This is Toyota we are talking about here and if they can put the same V6s in FWD minivans and RWD coupes and 4 cylinders in rear engine cars and sports sedans, I don't see why they wouldn't do that here.

It would probably need a tilt to fit under the hood. The Supra has a low center of gravity even with a tall motor, if Toyota did the work they said they did on the Supra, why wouldn't they apply what they learned developing the Supra's platform here?

As for transmissions, why can't they use the current transmission? They built a bellhousing for it to mate to the FA20, why not the G16e?

Nothing of what you said takes away from the possibility of a G16e 86. (Can we appreciate the irony here? The Supra can't use a V6, even though it benefits CoG and weight distribution, because it has to have an inline 6 for heritage reasons. Yet, the 86 doesn't use the motor that pays homage to it's spiritual predecessor for the CoG benefits of a flat 4. Toyota make up your mind, what do you want to emphasize, driver feel or heritage?)
Can't they do both? -____-

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
I would like to see with V35A dry sump transaxle. :D

Sounds like what the Supra should have been.

Yep, just like a Toyota version of the AMG GT. The AMG GT is the only car to me that represents the continuation of the MK4’s philosophy, albeit a German interpretation. RWD, lift back, long hood, premium (not luxury), halo (not flagship like the LC for Toyota/Lexus or the SL for Mercedes) GT-sports coupe that competes directly with the 911. Obviously there are differences (like a V engine instead of inline, front mid engine, transaxle, no rear seats) but think of how the Supra would/could have evolved over the years if it continued its development philosophy.

Fun fact: the AMG GT C/R also have the 1.55 wheelbase to track width ratio that Tada San lusted after.

(Sorry Gecko, I know I make your life harder)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Back to this car and not the Supra.

Didn't Toyota update the trademark for "Celica" in the last few years? Any chance this car will be called GR Celica instead of 86?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Amazing if it will be near this render

And that's what I told you guys about

Toyota will be for driving, Lexus just for collecting!