2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Don't be fooled by media overhyping every Hyundai product. I got the chance to drive the Elantra N and it's "all show no substance". Sure they have all kinds of fancy technology but FWD is FWD. It will not go in a straight line at full acceleration. It has way too much exhaust noise not justified by its power (feels too much like a tuner car). It's still a long wheelbase sedan that doesn't handle as sharply as most light sports hatch. It's one of these typical "review optimized" Hyundai products designed to generate maximum attention. I think there's a very good reason Hyundai dealers can't sell these at a discount when every other manual sports car demands at least $5k mark-up. The previous owner of my test drive car got rid of it after 4 months for a loss, so I know people don't even bother flipping it.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I have the complete opposite reaction driving a Kona N on a very twisty canyon road here in SoCal for the first time. Riotous fun, the torque steer is hilarious but controllable, and the exhaust pops and bangs are ridiculous too. It's a very juvenile experience, but it's so fun on twisty roads, what is designed for.

I have not driven the Elantra N yet but my friend traded his Kona N for one and loves it. I think it purely comes down to experience... If you don't live near backroads, mountain passes, or a track and only use it for urban street driving, yeah the loud exhaust will get tiring.

Edit: and idk what this is about dealer discounts... Not in this side of the coast at least. They're near impossible to find not marked up or already sold.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don’t really understand how every budget minded car enthusiast doesn’t have one one of these. Only the MX-5 comes close and it’s a convertible 2 seater. Nissan has coupes but the Z battles the Supra. People asked Honda/Acura for a new S2000 and 2 door integra and we got a 4 door civic. So that leaves the GT86/BRZ twins. We have been blessed with a second generation that IMO fixed damn near everything we wanted from the first gen fixed. 0-60 now in low to mid 5s with a 7500 RPM redline from a N/A boxer 4. Engineering wise it gives me Porsche vibes. No wasted space and tons of room for a small coupe. I fit perfectly fine. Michael fit fine in the back with the passenger seat up. Trunk room is solid. Gauges are easy to read. I mean as soon as you start this thing up it wants to haul ass. Handling js sublime, and it begs to be pushed. Absolutely brilliant to drive. Toyota didn’t cheap out as you get Michelin Pilot Sport tires. The automatic is ready to do whatever you want. Hoping to grab the manual soon. All for about $32,000. What an absolute amazing car.
Put this car on your shopping list and in your driveway. So they build a third generation. It’s built by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. This day and age we should be so lucky.
-m-
#toyotagr #gazooracing #toyotagr86 #gr86

40EA87DE-038B-4A35-9B1B-231DC134059C.jpeg

Reactions
Don't be fooled by media overhyping every Hyundai product. I got the chance to drive the Elantra N and it's "all show no substance". Sure they have all kinds of fancy technology but FWD is FWD. It will not go in a straight line at full acceleration. It has way too much exhaust noise not justified by its power (feels too much like a tuner car). It's still a long wheelbase sedan that doesn't handle as sharply as most light sports hatch. It's one of these typical "review optimized" Hyundai products designed to generate maximum attention. I think there's a very good reason Hyundai dealers can't sell these at a discount when every other manual sports car demands at least $5k mark-up. The previous owner of my test drive car got rid of it after 4 months for a loss, so I know people don't even bother flipping it.
I find it hard to believe that its all show and no substance...there's still some dealers that insist on a markup on their N models. While I think the GR C is the better car, its not better for $10K over MSRP. Even many Toyota and Subaru dealers are still doing ADM on their GR86s/BRZs...on the other hand, the WRXs at most of the Subaru dealers are still 2022s and many are being marked down from sticker.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
2024 GR86 TRUENO Edition: Throwback Spirit, Modern Performance

MY24_GR86-TRUENO_001.jpg

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Unpopular take, but that does not look good, still glad Toyota is giving their GR cars attention though.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I guess it will be like the Mazda Miata and the Fiat 124 Spider, the ND Miata is receiving a facelift by the end of this year(2023), while the 124 Spider has been dead since 2021.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I guess it will be like the Mazda Miata and the Fiat 124 Spider, the ND Miata is receiving a facelift by the end of this year(2023), while the 124 Spider has been dead since 2021.
Despite the turbo of the Fiat (not unreliable engine), it did not sell well. A pity. It could have had more success if it were badged Alfa Romeo Spider.

Reactions

This would be amazing if true.

Either the current GR86 is going to be extended all the way to ~2028-2030 to keep the purity of the NA 4-cylinder or they may fast-track the third generation GR86 to diverge from Subaru (~2026-2027).

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Despite the turbo of the Fiat (not unreliable engine), it did not sell well. A pity. It could have had more success if it were badged Alfa Romeo Spider.
The 1.4L turbo is kinda a meh engine, no low-end torque, good midrange but dies off at high rpm, it doesn't rev particular high and doesn't feel like sports car engine. Styling is subjective but I've seen more people disliking the 124 Spider's design than liking it.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
If the 86 will get a turbo I3, I wonder if Subaru will stick a turbo engine of their own. Pretty smart from Toyota to use the G16E, all they pretty much have to do is detune it to ~230hp ~230lb-ft range.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Who says Subaru will have a version of their own this time around though? Seems like the 3rd gen is going to be a Toyota-only effort, and I wouldn't be surprised with Subaru abandoning the ICE WRX STI, no point in investing more in ICE sports cars for them.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Seeing the path that Subaru is currently taking, I'm sure it's safe to assume they'll continue to get lamer and lamer, and more and more P.C.